• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    stopped by willow slough last weekend while out and about, i was cc'ing my 3" 1911 like i do everyday and as i pulled onto state line southbound from 14 to the entrance of the slough an illinois state pd rounded a corner from illinois and ended up behind me, no interest in me at all just happened to be there. got me thinking though. was i technically in illinois? was i breaking the law? nothing came of it this time but i suppose i could err to the side of caution next time and secure the gun as if i was traveling to ill.
    anybody know for sure?

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    stopped by willow slough last weekend while out and about, i was cc'ing my 3" 1911 like i do everyday and as i pulled onto state line southbound from 14 to the entrance of the slough an illinois state pd rounded a corner from illinois and ended up behind me, no interest in me at all just happened to be there. got me thinking though. was i technically in illinois? was i breaking the law? nothing came of it this time but i suppose i could err to the side of caution next time and secure the gun as if i was traveling to ill.
    anybody know for sure?

That's a good question. I'm sorry I could not locate a definitive answer for you. However, for lack of anything else, one COULD assume that when traveling southbound, which would have Illinois on your right, you'd be under Illinois jurisdiction, while on the other hand when traveling northnound, which would have Indiana on your right, you'd be under Indiana jurisdicition. The map I saw lists State Line Road as County Road 700 W and County Road 3200 E. I'm going to assume the 700 W is for Indiana and the 3200 E is for Illinois.

If need be, you could perhaps ask someone at the nearest Indiana State Police post to that area to see if they happen to know. Maybe this sort of thing has happened before.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Up a north a bit the east side is Dyer and the west side is IL(Crete, I think) I assume it's the same down there.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I am curious about this too. We were up there last summer a time or two . I carried going in, unloaded and locked it up going out. Seems like there could be a lot of room for interpretation.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I just drive on the left side of the road as I head home.

Actually, though, I head to the range directly from the East and then leave back to the East so that I'm not carrying on 700. Keeps me legal no matter what the official ruling is. If I'm on 700, then I'm going into Illinois anyway and need to make a pit stop to unholster before crossing the border. :yesway:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    don't know, have never heard of anyone having dealt with this situation. don't know if i've ever even seen a cop on that road. be sure you don't go to rosie's for bait or a beer when carrying. next time you see an illinois cop, pull into a parking area at the slough and wave.:D

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Stay on state line and you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think that it's as easy as one side of the street is illinois and the other side is Indiana. If a an Indiana cop pulled you over I don't thing it would be as a=easy as stepping over the white line and sticking your tonue ou at him saying "Can't get me over here".

it is appearent on statline that the two states can't even figure out who is reponsible for paving it. There are signs up near crete that say "Stateline from here on is maintained by Crete Township". Then going the other way it says it's maintained by Lake County IN. But the line runs right up state line. It's kind of a no-mans land. On Stateline you will see both Lake county IN and IL police going up and down it.

So it can't be that when an Indiana cop is traveling North he is in Indiana and when traveling south he has taken is squad car out of the state.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    i really didn't figur state line to be like one side of yellow line is a different state, but it made me think real fast with an illinois state trooper behind me WHAT IF he lit me up and pulled me over for something? illinois pd is not used to having anyone on "their land" carrying a handgun. kinda made me think, if i had been pulled over for something: do i fess up to my edc and hope for the best? keep it to myself and hope for the best and that there's no reason to pull me from my truck? just a lot of things ran through my mind like that and i didn't have the answers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    anybody know for sure?

I live within eyesight of the state line a few miles from Willow Slough and deal with the IL transport laws every day.

YES, you were in ILLINOIS while you were driving south on State Line Road.

YES, you were in VIOLATION of the ILLINOIS law which forbids citizen carry.

Stay on state line and you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think that it's as easy as one side of the street is illinois and the other side is Indiana. If a an Indiana cop pulled you over I don't thing it would be as a=easy as stepping over the white line and sticking your tonue ou at him saying "Can't get me over here".

it is appearent on statline that the two states can't even figure out who is reponsible for paving it. There are signs up near crete that say "Stateline from here on is maintained by Crete Township". Then going the other way it says it's maintained by Lake County IN. But the line runs right up state line. It's kind of a no-mans land. On Stateline you will see both Lake county IN and IL police going up and down it.

So it can't be that when an Indiana cop is traveling North he is in Indiana and when traveling south he has taken is squad car out of the state.
    I'm sorry but you are wrong.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    You are actually subject to laws of both states. It depends on who pulls you over. I deal with alot of state line jurisdiction issues hauling overweight(over 80,000lbs gross) coils into chicago. Funny thing is, there are six inches of pavement of which i am not permitted for. Yet there is no such permit. And yes, you can get a fat fine for it too. Driver of the same company got $10k fine for that technical crapola. So yeah they ARE jerks about that stuff.

Top Bottom