• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So since June I've been away from my guns and really the ability look at guns. I've been in Air force Basic Training and I'm currently in San Angelo TX at AF Tech school. I'm going to be back in February and I know when I get back I want an ar10.

I already have an ar15 so I already know a little. So I guess what Im looking for is just some general advice on what to look for as Im out looking for one. Any good brands or brands to stay away from? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Not many people bring them up or talk about them but i like Del-Ton's rifles. They are cheaper then some of the more popular brands and i've never ran into and problems with mine. I have the DTSport which is there entry rifle. It's my first of the ar platforms. It shoots great and like i said i never had a problem. not even a failure to eject or feed. I know people who have bushmasters,colts, and s&w's and honestly we all believe the quality is there with them but at a much cheaper value. I payed with tax for mine $703.13. I don't know if that helps. But i do believe they are a good alternative to the low end "high quality" brands.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From what I have read, DPMS makes a better quality .308 model than their .223 versions. But that is just what I have read.

The S&W M&P 10 seems to be a good quality .308 for the price as well.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    From what I have read, DPMS makes a better quality .308 model than their .223 versions. But that is just what I have read.

The S&W M&P 10 seems to be a good quality .308 for the price as well.

I was wondering about DPMS because people have normally told me away to stay away from dpms ar15s. Thanks

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I've just started looking as well and it seems there are roughly 3 major price ranges. The low end seems to center around $1K (with $500 being possible - don't know if I'd go that low), the middle seems to be slightly above the $2K mark and the top end is well over $3K. I just want something for distance shooting as opposed to hunting and don't want to spend a ton on it, so I'm looking in the low-middle area. At the moment that's leading me to a DPMS LR-308 based rifle. I'm trying to decide if I want a basic to start with and then slowly upgrade or whether I want to get a slightly more expensive version to start with.

The best recommendation is to start doing a lot of reading and decide what the primary use of the rifle will be and then set a starting price.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I was teamed up with a guy at a long distance steel plate match who was shooting this
    LR-308
    it was a first match for both of us and we both finished near the middle of the pack. During train up he was hitting 5" plates at 500 yards with ease once he got the wind hold down... and get this, he was using a 180 grain accubond load from winchester. He shot the whole match with hunting ammo. We got to talking later and he doesn't reload yet but advised it will group this ammo well under moa. Not bad for a factory rifle with hunting ammo and after watching his hits that day I am sure he was not stretching the truth.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive have had and shot a few of the DMPS LR308 series rifles and currently have one on layaway. Every one Ive shot was flawless. Only real problem they had was with their steel mags, but have since changed them and don't even have that problem now. The one I had previously was an MOA shooter out of the box. But the triggers SUCK in them, that's my only complaint but for the price to get into one You really cant complain.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    So since June I've been away from my guns and really the ability look at guns. I've been in Air force Basic Training and I'm currently in San Angelo TX at AF Tech school. I'm going to be back in February and I know when I get back I want an ar10.

I already have an ar15 so I already know a little. So I guess what Im looking for is just some general advice on what to look for as Im out looking for one. Any good brands or brands to stay away from? Any help would be great.

Thanks

If you are interested in building an AR-10 I'd look at Mega Arms.... Their lowers give you the widest variety of options and are compatible with both the DPMS and Armalite pattern AR-.308s.

For a built rifle... I've never purchased one outright, but the RRA's seem to be decent mid-range AR-10s and obviously LMT makes a sick upper-range .308.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    About 10-12 years ago I bought a new Armalite AR-10. First trip to the range, I found out there was several factory defects. Shipped back to factory and when it returned, it still did not function. After three months of trying to deal with their lack of customer service, the company and I made an agreement and I settled for a brand new complete upper that they guaranteed to function. I did not give it a chance and sold the gun, declaring all past issues to the new owner. I still have an Armalite T-shirt that I intend to shoot the pi** out of with my Rock River someday just to feel better about it. In my 25-30 years involved with firearms, Armalite has beet the worst customer service that I have ever experienced, maybe they have improved....but I will NEVER know.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I've owned:
    DPMS ..308, sold it during the insanity, to buy:
    Sig 716 (.308), it's been 100% & a pleasure to shoot.

Also have 20" RRA .308, rather heavy, but I shoot it @ 200 yds (longest range I have access to). Very nice shooter.

My DPMS was a nice rifle, but fit/finish/feel weren't same as my others, however, if all I could afford we're a DPMS, I'd have no issues owning another.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This thread is rather topical...

I'm no fan of a 308; bought a 700 and sold it after a month. I also are pretty naive about gas guns; I built a precision 5.56 AR last November that is a solid sub-MOA rifle. That said, I just discovered the CMMG Mk3 CBR...holy cow does that thing look sweet.

38AEA9A-2T.jpg

When looking at the spec sheet and street prices, it appears to be a very good value and folks that actually own them say 0.75MOA is possible with ammo the rifle likes.

Its no POF, LMT, Larue, GAP-10, etc...but its not priced like one, either.

(Only if they made it in 260...)

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have a DPMS LR-308. The only thing DPMS on it is the Upper, Lower Receiver, and the Chrome BCG. I run a Rainier Arms Select SS 18" w/VLTOR VC-301 FH. It has a Timney 4lb trigger and DD 12" Lite Rail. Optic wise it has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on it. It runs 1MOA or less with 168GR Federal Sierra Matchkings. If I had some handloads, it could probably produce better results.

attachment.php

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    This thread is rather topical...

I'm no fan of a 308; bought a 700 and sold it after a month. I also are pretty naive about gas guns; I built a precision 5.56 AR last November that is a solid sub-MOA rifle. That said, I just discovered the CMMG Mk3 CBR...holy cow does that thing look sweet.

38AEA9A-2T.jpg

When looking at the spec sheet and street prices, it appears to be a very good value and folks that actually own them say 0.75MOA is possible with ammo the rifle likes.

Its no POF, LMT, Larue, GAP-10, etc...but its not priced like one, either.

(Only if they made it in 260...)

No kidding on everything you said, think I would want the 18" though.

Top Bottom