• ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Okay here is the 411 on the 7.62x51 AR10

The cardinal rule with them is DON'T MIX PARTS BETWEEN BRANDS. Unlike the AR15, nothing is standard. You can't swap parts around. Only the mags.

They tend to be 1 to 2 pounds heavier then most other 7.62x51 semis

The current AR-10 offerings are NOT like Stoner's original AR-10 design. The current AR-10 is an upsized AR-15. The original AR-10 had a MASSIVE bolt and bolt carrier group. Why? This is because the 7.62x51 makes a LOT, and I mean a LOT more gas then the 5.56x45. That is more gas and crud being belched into your action by the direct impingement. Fire around 500 rounds and you will start seing failures to go in battery. The millitary is having the same issues with thier M110 7.62x51 AR10 type. Stoner fixed this by making the orginal AR-10 bolt and bolt carrier group much much larger then the ones in the current AR-10s. The larger BCG have more moving mass to deal with the larger amount of crud, and it has more surface area for the crud to spread out on.

Ignore my last paragraph if we are talking about a piston AR10. The piston obviously solves the issues.

Mags used to be the AR10 worst problem, they used to used bastardized M14 mags. But thanks to Magpul, that is is thing of the past.

The lowdown is, a little porky and they crud up too easy.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    There is a difference between Armalite AR-10 and KAC SR-25(commonly called LR-308) type platforms. Meaning you can't switch barrels or mags between the 2. Armalite 10B, Eagle Arms(Armalite) & Noveske all use modified M14 mags. About 2yrs ago Armalite starting making their own new production mags. DPMS, Mega Arms, CMMG, POF, LMT, LWRC, Fulton Armory, LaRue, Ruger, Sig, Colt, Armalite 10As & KAC SR-25 all use the SR-25 type MagPul mags. RRA LAR-8s use FAL mags. As far as range sessions go, I have never experienced a jam or malfunction with my LR-308 and this is with shooting 7.62 NATO Surplus(Spanish, Port, Radway Match) with a max of 100rds. I have a chrome carrier so clean-up is a breeze. Accuracy wise it beats the snot out of my M1A Standard and M1A Socom. Reliability even though I haven't experience any on the LR-308 platform would go to the M1A, but we aren't comparing that;) So in essence AR-10s and DPMS LR-308 pattern rifles are different:yesway:

Top Bottom