• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RdKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Batesville
    Am finally moving into the reloading world for handgun & rifle cartridges. Have experience with shotgun and am fairly comfortable there.....but.....

would like to get input on establishing a "standard" load for various cartridges....9mm, .38spl, .40
    Myself along with 3 friends are making the investment as we all have calibers that are common amoung us, we'd like to have a standard load for each caliber so we aren't finding ourselves in need of changing our die set-up every time a different person needs ammo.
    I know there may be some minor sacrifice in accuracy, however none of us are marksmen and don't plan on shooting competitively, we are mainly after a load that performs reasonably well regardless of the handgun it's coming out of.

Any thoughts on this type of arrangement?

Any standard loads anyone wishes to share for any of these calibers? Powder, bullet, etc?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    No such thing as STANDARD

Am finally moving into the reloading world for handgun & rifle cartridges. Have experience with shotgun and am fairly comfortable there.....but.....

would like to get input on establishing a "standard" load for various cartridges....9mm, .38spl, .40
    Myself along with 3 friends are making the investment as we all have calibers that are common amoung us, we'd like to have a standard load for each caliber so we aren't finding ourselves in need of changing our die set-up every time a different person needs ammo.
    I know there may be some minor sacrifice in accuracy, however none of us are marksmen and don't plan on shooting competitively, we are mainly after a load that performs reasonably well regardless of the handgun it's coming out of.

Any thoughts on this type of arrangement?

Any standard loads anyone wishes to share for any of these calibers? Powder, bullet, etc?

Really no such thing as standard.

For the cals. You listed the standard weights are:

1. 9MM-125gr.

2. .38Spl.-158gr.

3. .40S&W-180gr.

I use mostly the Hodgdon Powder Data list for my specs.

Go there + see what you think..Bill..

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What I would do is figure out whose gun has the most finicky/tightest chamber and load to specs that feed reliably in that gun.

As for powder: pick the one that will fill the case to make it less likely for a double charge.

Bullet weight: in 9mm I think 115gr is the "standard" weight, as most bulk stuff seems to be that weight.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    Make sure you buy a couple of reloading manuals. If you brouse through them you will find several powders that will work great for all the caliibers you listed. Its not that hard to find a good practice load that will work in all your firearms. Reloading can be intimidating at first but its really pretty easy if you follow exhisting data.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It is worth the time to adjust your reloading equipment for individual loads that will work WELL in the gun for which it was loaded. I have 4 different 9mm guns, including a carbine, and I have 1 load that works pretty well in 3 of them. One of the guns just doesn't cycle well with that load, so it gets fed a different handload.

The 9mmx19 was designed around a 124gr bullet and that is the standard weight for that cartridge.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is pretty safe to use the standard bullet weights that commercial ammo is easily found in, and look up powder charge weights that match the speed of the SAMMI spec for the cartridge you are reloading.

For example it is pretty safe to use an 825 fps 230 grain load in the .45acp (give or take a little). It will feel like, function the same and use the same sight adjustments as factory ammo.

Top Bottom