• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I am stuck between a 36 gun safe and the 45 gun safe. Does anyone have either of these? Can you please tell me the pros and cons of theone you have? Thanks

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well, I don't have either one of these, but I can tell you that I wish I would have went larger. If you have the room, bigger is certainly better in this case. Usually the 36-45 gun measurement is extremely liberal, meaning realistically it will hold much less than that unless they are crammed in there.

Just my :twocents:!!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I"ve got their total series 36 gun safe. I like it so far a whole lot better than the old wood cabinet i had some of them in before and the rest in cases in closet or under bed. I have it set up so the left side is long guns with a shelf overhead for a pistol, some manuals and other accessories. The other side is all shelves. The bottom 3 shelves are full of various ammo cans full of ammo for everything. The top 2 hold the rest of the pistols other than what I'm carrying, and target shooting and protection ammo that I keep out for quick access. I like it so far. Sure its not some top of the line deal, but its a whole lot better than a wood cabinet, or one of the thin steel ones. To me its pretty good quality and pretty heavy duty. Its pretty good for a guy on a budget. I managed to get it on sale at Rural king the day after thanksgiving for $599 with dad's Rural king card. I've almost got him paid off for it, lol.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I"ve got their total series 36 gun safe. I like it so far a whole lot better than the old wood cabinet i had some of them in before and the rest in cases in closet or under bed. I have it set up so the left side is long guns with a shelf overhead for a pistol, some manuals and other accessories. The other side is all shelves. The bottom 3 shelves are full of various ammo cans full of ammo for everything. The top 2 hold the rest of the pistols other than what I'm carrying, and target shooting and protection ammo that I keep out for quick access. I like it so far. Sure its not some top of the line deal, but its a whole lot better than a wood cabinet, or one of the thin steel ones. To me its pretty good quality and pretty heavy duty. Its pretty good for a guy on a budget. I managed to get it on sale at Rural king the day after thanksgiving for $599 with dad's Rural king card. I've almost got him paid off for it, lol.

How many long guns do you think will fit in half of the 36 gun safe? I want to do basically what you are with long guns ammo and handguns but I am afraid that 36 gun might be to small. I am also undecided because the 45 gun is $450 more and I can almost by a 24 gun safe for that.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    All i can say is that they are not gunsafes they are only lock boxes.Better than nothing though.:yesway:

I think the OP is talking about Stack-On's actual safes, not the sheet metal "locker" type deals.

tds-536.jpg

Stack-On | Fire Resistant and Waterproof Safes

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I haven't seen anything bad with them. The main difference between it and a more expensive safe is the burn time. The Stack On will handle 1400 degrees for 45 minutes where as the Liberty/Misty Morn top of the line will hold 1500 Degrees for 2.5 hours.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Actually my sisters house just burned down and the safe was all that was left. Too bad she lived out in the sticks in a wood framed and sided house and the fire truck couldn't even get there for 45 minutes.

Safe was a sub $1000 safe, guns left inside were not pretty.

That being said I'll probably get the Stack On safe without worrying, seeing as how for me it's meant to keep people from stealing, and I only live 5 minutes from a fire station. So I'll take the odds over the extra $4000 for a safe.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If financially feasible and you can fit it in, get the larger. I have never, ever heard anyone complain about their safe having too much space.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I personally have one of the Stack-On total defense 36 gun safes. I bought mine from Rural King last year on Black Friday. I think that it was $500 or $600 on sale. I have seen the exact safe at Dicks here in Indy for $1000. I think that it is a great safe. I bought it because i needed something that was able to be moved somewhat easily. It is roughly 600lbs. empty. I moved it around myself with a refrigerator dolly with no trouble at all. I think that a safe like this is best used for about half of what they recommend. It comes with shelves for one side so that you can use it to store handguns and ammo.

Link to Dicks

The picture on the website is how i have mine set up also.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    How many long guns do you think will fit in half of the 36 gun safe? I want to do basically what you are with long guns ammo and handguns but I am afraid that 36 gun might be to small. I am also undecided because the 45 gun is $450 more and I can almost by a 24 gun safe for that.

Well I've got 14 long guns on the one side. It has slots to fit 2 more in there, but they would be pretty tight. But of course 5 of my rifles have scopes on them so they stick out a bit further. I may try to take a pic sometime and see if I can post it to show how full I've got it. lol. Really I could use some more space. But that's just cause there's more I want to buy whenever I get the money to do so :D

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I have the 36 model. I am pretty happy with it. The combo isn't anywhere near as smooth or fast as my last Winchester safe that I had to leave behind when I moved. Besides that I'm pretty happy with it for the price.

As far as if you should go bigger. If you can afford it and have the room why not. They are excellent to keep other valuable in as well. That being said, if you don't have the room or the money for the larger one there isn't anything wrong with going smaller. Keep the ammo and mags out of there and you would be amazed at how many more guns you can fit. I've always tried to plan my safe purchases by counting the guns I have currently and adding 20%. I figure by that time I'll either have moved or hopefully be able to upgrade (offsetting the cost with the sale of the old safe).

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Always go with the larger sized safes.... I think they count shotties and lever guns when they size them. Scoped rifles, shotguns w/ pistol grips and AR types take up extra room.

Plus until you fill it it will give you enough space so they are not clanked into one another when removing or replacing them in the safe.

I have checked these safes out and I think they are a good value, provides some fire protection, heavy enough to not be carried out quickly and definately will keep them locked away from the kids and probably most novice burglars... after all there is much easier prey out there.

As far as fire protection, placement in the house is a big consideration as well as the actual fire rating.....

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Here is my real problem that I am having. I can get the 36 gun safe for $949.99 and get it next weekend. Or I can wait a couple more months and hopefully get the 45 gun safe for $1399.99. What I am having problem deciding is it worth $450 more to get the bigger one or wait and buy a second safe later for. I dont have enough guns to fill either of them right now but my collection has grown a lot since I became a member here.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Personally I'd go with the 36. It is divided into just 2 sides. So you have a good amount of room for long guns, and if you put in shelves on the other quite a bit of room for ammo and handguns. Whereas the 45 is split to 3 diff sections. If you use 2 of those sections for long guns then you don't have much room for ammo (not sure how much ammo and accessories you have) and probably too much room for your guns. Or you could use only one section for the guns, and then 2 for ammo, but then you won't have much room to put too many long guns. Personally I say for the most versatile I'd go with the 36, then if you find later on you need more get another. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom