• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Bought the wife a SR22 and am having a feeding/extraction problem. It is shaving the top off the next round and getting FTE. The brass is not even leaving the chamber. A few times it hasn't even tried to grab the brass to eject it.

The first magazine will run fine the two times we've shot it. Once new and once after a cleaning.

Have tried two differnt manufactures Winchester Xpert high velocity and Federal.

I let the magazines sit full for a week also.

Any clues as to what I should look at before I contact Ruger?

morrisonhawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Dubois county
    I had a friend that bought one about 5 weeks ago and had the same problem. He took it back to the dealer who in turn told him to send it back. When it came back right away, Ruger claimed there was nothing wrong with it. So he took it home and the same thing happened, so back to the dealer who threw a fit and told him to take his business elsewhere. Then before he left the dealer decided to give him his money back. You can try your luck with Ruger as most dealers won't give your money back, but a good gunsmith is going to charge you quite a bit to even look at it.

Good luck,
    Mhawk

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I bought my wiffe one a year ago and it has been flawless. I own rugers from a mark2 22 to an SR 51911 and thety have all been good guns. Sorry for your dificulty but I can';t believe Ruger wioun't make it right for you.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Of all the brands /types of ammo I've ever bought those are the only two that won't work in my MKlll.
    The Expert will jam and the Federal ( in my case American Eagle) won't extract.
    Try some other ammo if you can.
    My MKlll will shoot Remmy Thunderbolt, Win Wildcat and CCI Blazer fine but not Expert or Fed Am Eagle.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    i have a couple of small 22 autos and they both are particular with ammo. I use thunderbolts and mini mags with no problems.Hopefully this 22 ammo availibility thing will pass so we can be more selective.

thabombsquad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Logansport
    i ran over 2000 rounds flawlessly through mine before i sold it. hope they can get it fixed up for you. ruger is normally a reputable company with good products. hopefully they make it right. also sounds like you have a new gun shop to mark of the "buy anything else here list"

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    In January I bought a used SR22 from Bradis. It was maybe less than a year out of production. It has been wonderful -- only wish I could find more 22 ammo. Well pleased with the purchase.
    Something the guy at Bradis mentioned while we talked - waiting on NICS- was he wondered about firearms manufacturers being swamped with new orders that the quality of new products might suffer from the rushed productions.
    I felt lucky to get an SR22--for practice plinking and fun shooting.
    I wouldn't let up on Ruger. Only heard good things about Ruger, especially making things right. Call and ask to speak with a supervisor, etc.. Insist on Ruger fixing or replacing your gun.
    BTW, I have used Federal with my SR22 and no problems. It appears to like any ammo I have used.
    Sorry to hear of your problems.
    Good luck.

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    bought my gf one, she love it. we been shooting federal 22. no misfire, nothing. flawless so far.. put bout 100rds last week. brand new. really fun gun to plink and practice with.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    The gun is on its second trip to ruger. Ruger sent the gun back saying nothing is wrong with the gun. They ran 100 cci minimag through it flawlessly. Tech note from ruger on return slip "use of cheap bulk ammo will cause malfunctions. For best results use high quality ammo made in America"

I had picked up some Winchester white box copper plated and Remington thunderbolt to also try out when I got the gun back. The rounds weren't be shaved off as much as before and didn't seem to fte/ftf as much as the first time. But after putting about 175 rounds through it a piece of Winchester brass would not come out after it was fired. This happened a lot but previously could just pull it out with my fingernail. This one was not budging. And that's how I sent it back to ruger.

I'm sure win, rem, and federal would love to know that ruger thinks thier ammo is cheap. I also refuse to own a firearm that will only function with certain select ammunition.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That particular firearm is notoriously picky about ammo. Unfortunately, with that caliber in scarcity, it's gonna be tough to try out several brands.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    That particular firearm is notoriously picky about ammo. Unfortunately, with that caliber in scarcity, it's gonna be tough to try out several brands.

Really? Everything I've ever heard about the sr22 says otherwise... I also say otherwise because my very own sr22 with a few thousand rounds down the pipe of various brands/types of ammo has been trouble free minus a few duds and underpowered rounds that barley got the bullet out the barrel. I think the sr22 is one of the least picky semi auto .22 pistols out there.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Really? Everything I've ever heard about the sr22 says otherwise... I also say otherwise because my very own sr22 with a few thousand rounds down the pipe of various brands/types of ammo has been trouble free minus a few duds and underpowered rounds that barley got the bullet out the barrel. I think the sr22 is one of the least picky semi auto .22 pistols out there.

Agreed. I can't get my wife's to hiccup even with the bulk 36gr hollow points. Can't say the same for my MKII though.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just do a google search, and you'll find many. The one I (used) to shoot would hiccup on anything but the very best (and expensive) rounds. Two to three ftf on every mag.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just do a google search, and you'll find many. The one I (used) to shoot would hiccup on anything but the very best (and expensive) rounds. Two to three ftf on every mag.
    I've heard this said for just about *any* pistol chambered in .22LR. Some have a pistol that's flawless and will devour anything and others can only run a couple of high-end brands.

Is there even a .22LR pistol out there that more often than not will work as expected?

I was looking at the P22 but I can't stand the mag release [if it were my only gun, or my other guns were Walther's I could do it ... but since they aren't I choose not to]. Also looked at the Mosquito and a few others... All seem to have mixed reports.

About the *only* .22LR pistol I've ever heard of not having issues was a revolver...

Top Bottom