• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Just bought me one (thanks again Matt) and was reading through the Springfield website. It says you should only use military 7.62 Nato ammo in it. It said there was a chance of the force of the bolt slamming forward setting off .308 commercial rounds. Any thoughts on this? This being a National Match any difference in this?

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    The article on slamfires that used to be included with every m1a rifle was written by a friend of mine. What it boils down to is if you put one in the chamber and drop the bolt without a magazine in the rifle you are asking for trouble. 7.62 is supposed to have a less sensitive primer so you aren't in as much danger. The drag of the mag follower on the bottom of the bolt slows it down and also helps prevent slamfires. If you want to single load, have a mag in the rifle, and use a mil spec primer if you reload, or 7.62 ammo.

XD357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a loaded model that will eat anything, just stay below 180 grains and have fun! Heavier loads (180+) can bend the op rod.

168 and 175 Federal Match are the most accurate I've tried so far, with Hornady TAP or SST's falling in the most explosive category.
    TAP rounds erase watermelons and other large fruit. :rockwoot:

Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Go to ARRINGTON ACCURACY'S web site, Phil Arrington builds GREAT AR's, Garands and M1A's.
    He lists some load info that you should try, they work great and there's some other good reading there.
    He built an AR for me, it's a 1 hole rifle!!!!!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Mine has never had a factory round fired through it, no fat wallets here. 2 dollars every time you pull the trigger means not shooting very much. Never had a "slam fire", use this tool to ensure all primers are at a uniform depth. Primer Pocket Tools - Sinclair Uniformer Kit with screwdriver adaptor

With a little playing around with hand loads you can achieve excellent accuracy, just like the guys who use an M1A in competition. Wayne Faatz I believe is the fellow who wrote the piece and he uses Geoffrey Corn. He's a lot closer.

Match Armorers Shop
    Geoffrey Corn

RR# 3 Box 66-A
    Oakland City , Ind 47660
    1-812- 749-6416
    mcorn@wtvw.com

Hours:
    Monday, Tuesday 3:00 pm to 9:00pm (central)
    Wednesday 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Here is a copy of an email received from Patti @ SAInc concerning when a rifle was made that I bought used and the ammo info they suggest, its included in every email reply from her:

Good morning, Joe!
    I apologize for the delay in response.
    The below mentioned firearm was manufactured as model number MA9826 in October of 2007.
    I have attached a retail price list for you so that you can see the different models and current pricing.
    Unfortunately, we do not offer the boxes for resale. I would be glad to send you a manual package via 1st class mail today.
    We would recommend 168 grain Federal Match or Black Hills ammunition for the best accuracy.
    You can use .308 factory ammunition made to SAAMI spec.
    You can also use 7.62 x 51 military surplus ammunition with the NATO stamp on it.
    You can use anywhere from 147-175 grain ammunition.
    Thank you for your interest in Springfield!
    Enjoy the day!
    Best regards,
    Patti Boyer
    Customer Service Rep.
    Springfield Inc.
    800-680-6866, Ext. 8924
    Email: patti@springfield-armory.com

Email Patti w/ any SAInc questions and get a fast reply, I happened to email her while she was off on vacation but received the above reply the following Monnday morning..... they sent me a patch, stickers, price list, cable lock, copy of the M14 TM.... everything but the box!!!!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Breaking Down Your M1A

RIFLE-COMPANY.COM -- View topic - "Detail strip" disassembly guide for M1A/M14 * * *

Forgot a simple and effective trick. For a flash suppressor/barrel crown protector, slip an empty 3", 12ga. hull over the flash suppressor and push it all the way down, just don't forget to remove it before shooting [ask me how I know, twice]. Doesn't hurt anything but your pride, air pressure starts pushing it off, and gas pressure does the rest. Cleaning rod guide made same way, only with 2 3/4 hull with primer knocked out. Gotta love the Internet.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom