• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Ok, so I've contributed repeatedly to several Mosin Nagant inspired threads, and I'm intrigued... After searching for "sporterized mosin nagant" on INGO with no result, I have resorted to starting a new thread.

I want to see some sporterized love for Mosins and other mil-surp rifles.

So let's see them sporters! I will post mine up.

first up, my latest build, a Mauser 98 now chambered for .30-06 springfield
    DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

My original Mil-Surp, the first i ever built, my infamous Mosin M44
    DSCN0853.jpg

mosin20nagant20m4420spr20002.jpg

I leave the ball in your court :ingo:

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Currently doing a 98 Mauser. So far I have done the following.. the bolt handle changed, drill and tapped for the scope mounts and Simmons Presidential 4X12 added, Timney trigger installed, and I had the barrel cut 2 inches and recrowned. I am currently fitting a Boyd thumbhole stock and I have replace the floor plate with a 20 round trench magazine.

98boyd.jpg

mausermag3.jpg

mausermag4.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    for 451_detonics; does that 20 round trench mag feed 30.06 OK? I have had one on the shelf for a long time, but have never put it on a rifle.

Thanks in advance...

edit: I just realized your rifle might be 8mm not 30.06. I guess if it feeds 8mm OK, it should be good for 30.06.

Last edited:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Nice looking rifles.

N_K_1984, Is the muzzle brake on the Mosin custom built or did you purchase it somewhere? What kind of accuracy do you get out of the Mosin?

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok, so I've contributed repeatedly to several Mosin Nagant inspired threads, and I'm intrigued... After searching for "sporterized mosin nagant" on INGO with no result, I have resorted to starting a new thread.

I want to see some sporterized love for Mosins and other mil-surp rifles.

So let's see them sporters! I will post mine up.

first up, my latest build, a Mauser 98 now chambered for .30-06 springfield
    DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

My original Mil-Surp, the first i ever built, my infamous Mosin M44
    DSCN0853.jpg

mosin20nagant20m4420spr20002.jpg

I leave the ball in your court :ingo:

What is on the end of the Mosin Nagant???

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    for 451_detonics; does that 20 round trench mag feed 30.06 OK? I have had one on the shelf for a long time, but have never put it on a rifle.

Thanks in advance...

edit: I just realized your rifle might be 8mm not 30.06. I guess if it feeds 8mm OK, it should be good for 30.06.

Mine is 8mm but it should work with '06. I did swap the spring in mine for a cut down MG13 mag spring to cut back on the tilt of the follower...works fine now.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    What is on the end of the Mosin Nagant???

N_K_1984, Is the muzzle brake on the Mosin custom built or did you purchase it somewhere?

I get this question a lot. It's actually not a muzzle brake. When you remove the front sight from the M44 you are left with an ugly shoulder on the ned of the barrel. My brother-in-law machined a custom, ornamental piece just to clean up the look of the muzzle. It serves to purpose other than looks. If I do another Mosin sporter build, I think we will probably design and machine a muzzle brake for it, make it good looking and functional.

What kind of accuracy do you get out of the Mosin?

She'll easily do 1 moa @ 100yards.

My finest hour with the ol' M44... Best grouping at distance was 2 moa @ 500. My first shot at 500 yards, cold bore, shot center mil dot on, fell 3 feet short but dead center. Held 2.5 mil high, sent 3 rounds, placed 3 shots in 10" . It has been the finest I've shot so far with the M44. I had near perfect conditions too, zero-no wind, very low humidity. So I had some good contributing factors. I hope to get out soon and duplicate that success. Those 3 shots have been my best ever with that rifle.

:rockwoot:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    That's pretty awesome from the stock barrel.

I'm very fortunate to have a good, CLEAN barrel. HOWEVER, let's not forget to add in some other factors. Relaxed muscles, no shakes, bedded action, floated barrel, "massaged trigger," shooting from a bench, rifle rested on a bag, good ammo, and let's not forget pretty damn perfect weather.

It's funny you reference SurplusRifleForum.com, that's where I got the VAST majority of my info, tricks, and tips from on my Mosin build. I'm also a contributing member of that forum as well. SRF and INGO are my two online vices. There is a TON of good info on there on making a Mosin accurate at range. TONS of info. On any Mosin thread I contribute to on INGO, I will usually link SRF. I'm a huge believer of the great potential of the Mosin Nagant family of rifles.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Techres: Very nice! :yesway: She has the looks of a work horse. :rockwoot:

I like a rifle that earns it's gun oil.

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Thought I'd throw these up. This is a 30-40 Krag, year 1896, that has been in my family for some time now. It belonged to my grandfather who did the sportizing work to it, sights and from what I've been told he also did the stock for the gun. Its a real beauty which is one of the reasons I've never taken her out to shot, even though I have ammo for. I have one if his old .22 cal rifles that's almost as old as which so far has taught 3 generations of my family how to shoot and I will use it to teach my sons which will make 4 generations.

Krag-1.jpg

Krag-2.jpg

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thought I'd throw these up. This is a 30-40 Krag, year 1896, that has been in my family for some time now. It belonged to my grandfather who did the sportizing work to it, sights and from what I've been told he also did the stock for the gun. Its a real beauty which is one of the reasons I've never taken her out to shot, even though I have ammo for. I have one if his old .22 cal rifles that's almost as old as which so far has taught 3 generations of my family how to shoot and I will use it to teach my sons which will make 4 generations.
    :yesway::yesway:

akaindy: Great story, great history behind the gun! beautiful rifle... two thumbs up.

spainy79: I really dig your Mosins! I like the M44, she looks like a cousin of my M44! I really like the sporter 91/30 with iron sights too. I think that will be my next mil-surp project. I have a fever, the only prescription is more Mosin!

the 91/30's are A TON of fun with iron sights are long range! so much fun...

:rockwoot: keep 'em coming INGO!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would have no problem customizing a post WWII Mosin, but would not do anything other than fire and clean WWII era one. Ya'll got some nice ones though. (Okay, go ahead and flame me now):twocents:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This thread makes me die a little on the inside. I suppose I can see the argument with the mosins (they're plentiful, cheap, etc, etc) but sporterizing a Springfield or a Krag is just depressing. The more of these you destroy by sporterizing, the fewer genuine pieces of history will exist.

I realize I say something to this effect in most any thread about sporterization, but I feel pretty strongly on the issue.

Top Bottom