• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I make it a point to go slightly slower than the flow of traffic. Yes, that usually means I'm speeding... (especially on 456) but the people passing me are the ones getting pulled over.

I call the people passing me "rabbits." They are good for flushing out the dogs :D

I try hard to never be the fastest car on the road.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I was told by a police officer always look over the ticket the smallest mistake by the officer will get the ticket thrown out. Such as checking the A.M. box instead of the P.M. box next to the time. You plead not guilty and tell the court where you at the time on the ticket and have proof.
    If the speed of the road or the speed you were traveling are on the ticket I don't see how they can set a fine.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    He was probably being nice by not indicating that you were driving in excess of 15 mph over the limit which I think can be considered as wreckless driving. You got a ticket, so I would not go into court trying to fight it based on an apparent loophole. I would, however, consider contributing to the Indiana State Police Alliance. They give out window decals and they are a cheap way to just get a warning for speeding instead of a ticket. I am sure of that.
    Window decals shouldn't influence an officer's decision and just because you have a pretty ISPA sticker doesn't mean you shouldn't get a ticket. Reckless driving is 30+ or at the officer's discretion (almost had it, but the officer was having a good day and apparently I drive fast well), but I could be wrong.

No speed on the ticket could have it thrown out. Take the ticket to the prosecutor and point out the mistake. If the mistake is substantial, the prosecutor will most likely contact the judge. Some mistakes do not matter, others will get it thrown out. I've had one ticket thrown out because of a 20mph error in the speed, and only took it to the prosecutor.

P.S. Defensive driving classes can be taken online for $50

EvoVIIIMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    This is a new ticket and I had never seen one like this. I will call and ask about the speed not being shown on the ticket. If I can't go that route I will check into Defensive driving school.

Do you think they would accept my Conehead award from autocross? HAHA

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The other tactic, if you don't pony up the smart money and just get a lawyer, is to show up. If the officer does not show up you win. (likely)

If he DOES, ask for a continuance to secure counsel.

If the officer does not show up you win. (likely)

If he DOES, ask for a continuance to secure counsel, AGAIN.

Then secure counsel. Or, ask about prosecutorial diversion.

I did not make this up myself. I was given this advice by a lawyer.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I call the people passing me "rabbits." They are good for flushing out the dogs :D
    German-shepherd-dog.jpg

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    If one was not actually speeding and was wanting to dispute it, then go the proper routes and either fight it or get it dismissed.

Or if one was actually speeding one might just man up and pay it instead of trying to find ways out of it.

We are SUPPOSED to be a forum of resposible people........trying to come up with every way imaginable to get out of something we were actually doing is not very responsible. And before anyone says I'm just agreeing with the cop because I am one.......If I had gotten the ticket and I was actually doing what I got the ticket for, I would pay it without question even though I have other ways I could get out of the ticket. It's just the right thing to do IMO.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    If one was not actually speeding and was wanting to dispute it, then go the proper routes and either fight it or get it dismissed.

Or if one was actually speeding one might just man up and pay it instead of trying to find ways out of it.

We are SUPPOSED to be a forum of resposible people........trying to come up with every way imaginable to get out of something we were actually doing is not very responsible. And before anyone says I'm just agreeing with the cop because I am one.......If I had gotten the ticket and I was actually doing what I got the ticket for, I would pay it without question even though I have other ways I could get out of the ticket. It's just the right thing to do IMO.

Isn't there a deferral program? Where you make a donation around the amount of the ticket to the PD and the ticket doesn't go on your record? I've been told you can do that, and is prob what I'd try to do. That way they get their support money, no ticket on your record, and you don't have to risk paying court fees or lining some lawyer's pocket.

Last time I paid a laywer to come to court for a ticket of mine. (94 in a 55 on a country road, my road) The douche forgot about it and was about to leave his office to go home for the night, when my mom who wanted to come with me called him and reminded him. He was over an hour late. He did get it down to 69 in a 55 for me since the officer (who was a neighbor of mine) had noticed I was making an effort to slow down. So I still had to pay a ticket anyways. Plus finish paying the douchebag that forgot about me. I almost didn't pay him the last $60.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Isn't there a deferral program? Where you make a donation around the amount of the ticket to the PD and the ticket doesn't go on your record? I've been told you can do that, and is prob what I'd try to do. That way they get their support money, no ticket on your record, and you don't have to risk paying court fees or lining some lawyer's pocket.

Last time I paid a laywer to come to court for a ticket of mine. (94 in a 55 on a country road, my road) The douche forgot about it and was about to leave his office to go home for the night, when my mom who wanted to come with me called him and reminded him. He was over an hour late. He did get it down to 69 in a 55 for me since the officer (who was a neighbor of mine) had noticed I was making an effort to slow down. So I still had to pay a ticket anyways. Plus finish paying the douchebag that forgot about me. I almost didn't pay him the last $60.

There is a deferral program, but I don't know the specifics on it. Here I know if you go on deferral then you can't get another ticket for X amount of time. If you do, then you buy both tickets at the same time, if you make it through then the one goes by the wayside and is forgotten about. I have no issues with the deferral program as you can only do it like once every 2-3 yrs so it seems to be reserved for those that "had a moment" not the habitual speeder that is just looking for a way to get out of something they know they did. As far as if you have to pay money to do the referral program......I have no idea as once it gets that far it's the prosecutors baby and not mine.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The other tactic, if you don't pony up the smart money and just get a lawyer, is to show up. If the officer does not show up you win. (likely)

In Missouri, that didn't mean you "won." It meant you waited 'til the officer was called in. Maybe hours. It could mean you had to show up for another court date.

Honestly, if I was the judge and you were guilty but just "played" my court, hoping the officer didn't show up once, twice, whatever... I would hit you with every court cost I could find once proven guilty. Wasn't there another thread about a Marion county judge doing that sort of thing?

Is your case just dismissed in IN if the officer doesn't show or is that a snopes-wive's-tale?

It was, however, VERY common for a "traffic law" strip mall lawyer to work a deal where the offender pleaded guilty to a non-moving violation, at a higher cost, and then there were no points on the license or insurance increase.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    There is a deferral program, but I don't know the specifics on it. Here I know if you go on deferral then you can't get another ticket for X amount of time. If you do, then you buy both tickets at the same time, if you make it through then the one goes by the wayside and is forgotten about. I have no issues with the deferral program as you can only do it like once every 2-3 yrs so it seems to be reserved for those that "had a moment" not the habitual speeder that is just looking for a way to get out of something they know they did. As far as if you have to pay money to do the referral program......I have no idea as once it gets that far it's the prosecutors baby and not mine.

That's one part I forgot about was you couldnt' have a ticket for so long after that or you'd pay both. I haven't had a ticket since that last one and that was back in 04 or 05 if I remember right. So its been quite a while for me since I've slowed down. I've got a buddy that has used the program, and he just pays them the amount the ticket would of been, so they get their money, and he gets to keep it off his record. I can't remember what he said the min amount was to pay.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    :lmfao: Oh wait...you were serious?? Wow...that's a novel idea...

Let me get this straight... Be a man...admit you did something wrong...pay the consequences...and move on down the road... hmmm.... Interesting concept...

Naaaaaah... It's soooo much easier to lie about it and snake your way out of it... It's the way things are done in the real world!! :rolleyes:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Except for the one time of going to court, which I only did to keep from possibly getting my license suspended since the speed was so high and I had to have my lic for my job. I've just paid the ticket every time. I'm glad I don't drive like that anymore. I'd rather spend the money on guns and ammo :D

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac

:lmfao: Oh wait...you were serious?? Wow...that's a novel idea...

Let me get this straight... Be a man...admit you did something wrong...pay the consequences...and move on down the road... hmmm.... Interesting concept...

Naaaaaah... It's soooo much easier to lie about it and snake your way out of it... It's the way things are done in the real world!! :rolleyes:

I swear you guys are from Super Troopers aren't you???:D

Do you guys like conflict?? Restart an old thread for the sake of argument...:yesway:

That's something I would do!!!!!

Cop: Sir have you been drinking?? your eyes look bloodshot...

Drunk Guy: No Sir occifer have you been eating dounuts?? your eyes look glazed..

Which one of you is FARVA???

I want a Liter of COLA!!!

:laugh:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    In Indiana, or at least Huntington County, you cannot receive a moving violation for 12 months after the date on the deferral "contract". And I believe that any previous deferral periods must have ended 12 months prior to the date on the ticket. If you do get a ticket in the during your deferral period you do not have to pay the originally deferred ticket; the ticket, and the points associated, will be reflected on your driving record and you may have to take defensive driving.

Unfortunately, this is all based on personal experience. I've been ticket free for 16 months now after realizing that I had thrown away over $1000 on tickets; the actions aren't worth the consequences.

Top Bottom