• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wait a minute... They are on Facebook complaining about how bad it is?

It CAN'T be too bad is they still can log on and post about it. Priorities, folks. If yo have no power, no food, and no water, you might want to log of for a minute and take care of that. :rolleyes:

My aunt and uncle are in town for the holiday, and live in Virginia just west of DC. They lost a tree, and power was out for a bit. He can check everything in his house on-line via their fancy security system, which is kinda cool. BUT, they are glad they are here, since they have no generator, and all electric appliances.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The people i saw on FB complaining were the ones who still had a charge in their phones.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Wait a minute... They are on Facebook complaining about how bad it is?

It CAN'T be too bad is they still can log on and post about it. Priorities, folks. If yo have no power, no food, and no water, you might want to log of for a minute and take care of that. :rolleyes:

My aunt and uncle are in town for the holiday, and live in Virginia just west of DC. They lost a tree, and power was out for a bit. He can check everything in his house on-line via their fancy security system, which is kinda cool. BUT, they are glad they are here, since they have no generator, and all electric appliances.

I have always loved that as well. Get on facebook, whine about something. Congrats, you have done absolutely NOTHING other then waste battery energy. Unless of course, it was a plea for help, in which case, it still might have been nothing more then a waste of battery power. Some people cannot just do things for themselves.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have always loved that as well. Get on facebook, whine about something. Congrats, you have done absolutely NOTHING other then waste battery energy. Unless of course, it was a plea for help, in which case, it still might have been nothing more then a waste of battery power. Some people cannot just do things for themselves.

They're the same sort of folks who think electric cars are saving energy.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Live it to believe it. After a couple times of deprivng yourself of power,heat, security see who starts to read up on preparedness.
    Go 2 or 3 weeks without junk food and stock a small pantry. Add water, batteries, flashlights, battery radio, and buy a 12ga shotgun w/ assorted ammo. You are in. Add more as you see fit. Think about how and where to bug out or bug in.

cory nigra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    it seem impossible to prepare for the unknown, i believe they are in denile about the whole shft theory. i have my guns and ammo, some food and water but how far can u make it now knowing what to prepare for?????it makes me fear for my daughter

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Cory
    You can prepare for a fire, by having a fire extinguisher. You may still have to call the FD, but most fires can easily be stopped in the 1st 5 min.
    You can prepare for injuries by learning 1st aid, and having a first aid kit. You may still need a doc, but you need to be alive.
    You carry a gun to protect yourself. But it may not be enough.
    What I'm trying to say, is there are situations that will overwhelm you. That doesn't mean give up.
    Fortune favors the prepared.
    If you don't prepare for TEOTWAWKI, at least prepare for 3-5 days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cory
    You can prepare for a fire, by having a fire extinguisher. You may still have to call the FD, but most fires can easily be stopped in the 1st 5 min.
    You can prepare for injuries by learning 1st aid, and having a first aid kit. You may still need a doc, but you need to be alive.
    You carry a gun to protect yourself. But it may not be enough.
    What I'm trying to say, is there are situations that will overwhelm you. That doesn't mean give up.
    Fortune favors the prepared.
    If you don't prepare for TEOTWAWKI, at least prepare for 3-5 days.

Well said...

Cory, It is not that hard to put in preps for at least 2 weeks. Mountain house and other company's offer dried foods that are in bulk for a reasonable price. They offer these in a series of rationed meals that if you plan properly they can last a while. MRE's are available and we have used them. Not a favorite but hunger will make it possible to eat a bug if that is all you have. Wife picked up 6 flats of water today at (2) for $6.00 and they are the 30 bottle flats not the 24's. This would last a while if rationed. Canned goods like soup's and such are easily stored and rotated inside their shelf life as is rice and other staples. Once started, it is not hard to get a program together. Count heads, plan for at least (2) meals a day with ample water and the basics as in aspirin, paper goods, hygiene and so on. A good Medical bag can be started cheap and refined with time.
    We thought our program was on track until I joined this group of people. By reading what they do and have done we have raised our preps up to a level that will take us through most situations. We budget what we do and it grows every week.
    On top of all of this it is fun. We are living this entire week on the preps. Rotating out the older and replacing with fresh goods. Properly seasoned an MRE is almost edible.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Well said...

Cory, It is not that hard to put in preps for at least 2 weeks. Mountain house and other company's offer dried foods that are in bulk for a reasonable price. They offer these in a series of rationed meals that if you plan properly they can last a while. MRE's are available and we have used them. Not a favorite but hunger will make it possible to eat a bug if that is all you have. Wife picked up 6 flats of water today at (2) for $6.00 and they are the 30 bottle flats not the 24's. This would last a while if rationed. Canned goods like soup's and such are easily stored and rotated inside their shelf life as is rice and other staples. Once started, it is not hard to get a program together. Count heads, plan for at least (2) meals a day with ample water and the basics as in aspirin, paper goods, hygiene and so on. A good Medical bag can be started cheap and refined with time.
    We thought our program was on track until I joined this group of people. By reading what they do and have done we have raised our preps up to a level that will take us through most situations. We budget what we do and it grows every week.
    On top of all of this it is fun. We are living this entire week on the preps. Rotating out the older and replacing with fresh goods. Properly seasoned an MRE is almost edible.

Great ideas, make sure you also count for animals, and any medicines that are needed as well. Medical kits are a great idea, make sure you have both large bandages and small ones as well. Some people built a great kit of just the large bandages, figuring those will be life threatening, which is true, but mostly you will use a lot more of the smaller ones for all the nicks and scratches and cuts you will get. No need to use a huge bandage when you slice your finger, just like it will be hard to bandage a bad chest wound with only Spongebob bandages.

Top Bottom