• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    So my brother in law and his wife live out in the D.C. area, They have seen their share of SHTF situations in the last year with the tropical storm that went through and left them without power for quite some time, the earthquake, and now the storms that rolled through a couple days ago......again they are out of power! We have tried to convince them to prepare for stuff like this by getting a generator, some flash lights, some food stores etc. and they just kind of shrug it off. They always talk about how prepared we are when they come visit (secretly I think they think we are nuts). I get on FB this morning and they are talking about how horrible it is with no lights, no A.C., no way to keep the food in the fridge cool, and no way to cook. I guess some people just dont have the gut feelings we do and will never get the hint!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They were raised that way. And surrounded by people that think that way.
    Even if someone close to them dies because of not being prepared, they will still blame the government.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Washington D.C. has been in a SHTF/zombie apocalypse situation for quite a quite a few years already.

Ever since Marion Berry the krack smocking Wh$#@% Monger of a Mayor.

People are in a state of denial about the infra structure. It is a fragile thing that is held together with parts and pieces made by, installed by and maintained by men. Mother nature gets a kick out of ripping it apart along with the occasional trailer park.
    SHTF will most likely be a natural disaster not un-like what those folks are going through. If this is the third such event for them they just do not want to take the time, effort and money needed to get ready. The money has to go for the newest cars, phones and a flat screen. I feel no empathy for these folks.
    My kids are almost this way but they have me looking over their shoulders and preps are not ignored. Now we have 2 new grand-baby's and another on the way. The whole program is being changed.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So my brother in law and his wife live out in the D.C. area, They have seen their share of SHTF situations in the last year with the tropical storm that went through and left them without power for quite some time, the earthquake, and now the storms that rolled through a couple days ago......again they are out of power! We have tried to convince them to prepare for stuff like this by getting a generator, some flash lights, some food stores etc. and they just kind of shrug it off. They always talk about how prepared we are when they come visit (secretly I think they think we are nuts). I get on FB this morning and they are talking about how horrible it is with no lights, no A.C., no way to keep the food in the fridge cool, and no way to cook. I guess some people just dont have the gut feelings we do and will never get the hint!

Nature is a harsh critic. Those who won't heed her lessons won't survive when she gets really nasty. Evolution in Action.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've tried to use this last bad storm coming through town to explain to people just how bad it really could get. I tried explaining that the old saying in the military "it could always be worse" was never more true. It's unfortunate, but so many people just refuse to acknowledge the possibilty of something scary. I fear for their lives and pity them because they won't make it through anything serious.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've tried to use this last bad storm coming through town to explain to people just how bad it really could get. I tried explaining that the old saying in the military "it could always be worse" was never more true. It's unfortunate, but so many people just refuse to acknowledge the possibilty of something scary. I fear for their lives and pity them because they won't make it through anything serious.

And, they'll tell you
    I don't have the money to do that kind of stuff.

As they watch their big screen TV
    Everyone in the house has a TV in their room
    Everyone has a new car
    and a cell phone

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    And, they'll tell you
    I don't have the money to do that kind of stuff.

As they watch their big screen TV
    Everyone in the house has a TV in their room
    Everyone has a new car
    and a cell phone

The part that really gets me is that right after they say there're too broke they're also more than happy to invite themselves over to my house like I asked them to be there as a guest I can babysit. I'm sure we all know plenty of guys out there that have the money for the latest computer game, fancy dinner, hockey game and beer, but never have the $$ to put down on even the cheapest forms of prepping.

All we can do is lead a horse to water, but I'm not going to kill myself trying to make the horse drink. I think we're close enough to the economic collapse, that I'm already starting to shut down how much I talk about and to whom I talk about it with. The big talkers and blow hards aren't going to be able to man up and take care of themselves when the time comes. They'll be hungry and angry that their TV's don't work. If they try to leave home their boots won't be broken in and the backpack will still be looking brand new with plenty of things in it that they'll be dropping along the way to cut weight.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Hmmmm. I have never tried to help people see it (except my mom and in-laws). They either do or they don't. If they don't, I don't need them knowing I do when the SHTF. If they do, I don't need to worry about them when the SHTF.

I suppose that makes me cold-hearted and calculatingly manipulative.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hmmmm. I have never tried to help people see it (except my mom and in-laws). They either do or they don't. If they don't, I don't need them knowing I do when the SHTF. If they do, I don't need to worry about them when the SHTF.

I suppose that makes me cold-hearted and calculatingly manipulative.

I wouldn't say that. Maybe pessimistic or precatious, but in any case in my attempts to open eyes I've exposed my own vulnerabilities and I regret that in some cases.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I wouldn't say that. Maybe pessimistic or precatious, but in any case in my attempts to open eyes I've exposed my own vulnerabilities and I regret that in some cases.

I shouldn't have said "never." I used to. It was when it was met with blank stares and no change in behavior that I decided the pay-off of helping people was hardly worth the potential risk.

My prepping comes out in conversation now and again so it's not like I'm super secretive about it. But when I hear "When the SHTF, we're coming to your house," my response is always the same: there's an entry fee of food and ammo. If you don't have it, you don't get in."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just do not try and spread the word. Tired of selling the up-side of prepping to those who will not allocate the funds to do so...ie--big screen, cell phones Yada Yada.
    If these folks know you are ready, well, when the "S" really does HTF you are not only holding off the Zombies but those who are aware of your readiness. It will put a lot of un-needed stress and pressure on you and those who are prepared.
    Yes, this does expose you to situations we can not plan for but only react as the situation requires for the safety of you and yours.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I shouldn't have said "never." I used to. It was when it was met with blank stares and no change in behavior that I decided the pay-off of helping people was hardly worth the potential risk.

My prepping comes out in conversation now and again so it's not like I'm super secretive about it. But when I hear "When the SHTF, we're coming to your house," my response is always the same: there's an entry fee of food and ammo. If you don't have it, you don't get in."

That sounds so familiar....were you at that cookout last week. I hear this all to often.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    But when I hear "When the SHTF, we're coming to your house," my response is always the same: there's an entry fee of food and ammo. If you don't have it, you don't get in."

I kinda smirked when I read that because one of the items on my prepping list is a list of rules for refugees at my place. Whenever I glance over the inventories I have excel I take a minute to read through my list of rules. I made the list for family members that think prepping is crazy, but who I still can't bring myself to turn away. I try to keep revising the rules to the point where it's not offensive, but gets the point across to freeloaders.

It's really pretty sad that people today really don't even have the desire to take care of themselves, but at the same time they're more than happy to tell you how you should be doing it their way.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Some people just like to complain and have others feel sorry for them/pity them and must take full advantage of every opportunity avail. I don't think most of them even do it on a conscious level, it's just what they are indoctrinated/programmed to do.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Some people just like to complain and have others feel sorry for them/pity them and must take full advantage of every opportunity avail. I don't think most of them even do it on a conscious level, it's just what they are indoctrinated/programmed to do.

My wife has an aunt like that. She's got an amazing house, amazing family, and over all a pretty good life, but she'll always look for something to complain about. Some people could hit the lotto and still complain about money and their countertops.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    some people will be ready for almost anything, regardless of how well they planned. Some people are great improvisers. Others will never be able to see more then 5 minutes down the road and look for their immediate gratification. I plan on using those people for bait when the zombies come, haha.
    Seriously though, I have some prep, flashlights, spare food, tools, and the ability to live off the land for abit. Might not be comfortable, but its comforting to know that I can survive. Its amazing, when we had the blizzards hitting a while back ago, I was stationed on the East Coast, and we had advanced knowledge, they knew it was coming, radios and tvs were telling people to get ready and telling them some things to get. And yet, nope, some people just lived in a bubble and barely survived.

Top Bottom