• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Soldiers from a nearby military base will now be patrolling the streets of Columbus GA. This is more conditioning for the public, as well as for the local police themselves. Getting people used to the idea that a soldier has a role in law enforcement, when they clearly DON'T.

Its all part of a conditioning process. Soldiers should have no role on American streets. I don't care if they aren't arresting people. (YET)

I'm sure they're nice enough guys. But I don't want this idea of soldiers doing police work to become the norm. I don't want them checking bags at the Superbowl, I don't want them at the airport, I don't want them at the train station, and I don't want them on the streets wearing armbands. :n00b:

Military patrols start Friday night in downtown Columbus | WRBL

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Soldiers from a nearby military base will now be patrolling the streets of Columbus GA. This is more conditioning for the public, as well as for the local police themselves. Getting people used to the idea that a soldier has a role in law enforcement, when they clearly DON'T.

Its all part of a conditioning process. Soldiers should have no role on American streets. I don't care if they aren't arresting people. (YET)

I'm sure they're nice enough guys. But I don't want this idea of soldiers doing police work to become the norm. I don't want them checking bags at the Superbowl, I don't want them at the airport, I don't want them at the train station, and I don't want them on the streets wearing armbands. :n00b:

Stop with your silliness. This used to be much more common and in fact, it's a good idea. A soldier is a soldier on duty, off duty, on post or not on post. A lawful order from an officer or an NCO is a lawful order anywhere.

Soldiers cause a lot of problems in military towns and having these patrols cuts down on this and has nothing to do with civilians.

Dude, as much as I love ya', you make yourself look silly sometimes.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Soldiers are for fighting WARS, not for harassing it's citizens, The POLICEMAN'S UNION should step up to the plate & say if you need more show of force, then hire more police

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    As a Military Police Officer, I regularly worked and provided MP's for what we called back then "TOWN PATROL", nothing new here folks, move along.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    you mean that military personnel will be out in public in uniform? And that they are there to address possible discipline problems in military personnel out in public?! OMG, we must fight back!!!! (against alarmist posts)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is a very good idea. In years past I have seen this type of town patrol work very well in many places. Surprised anyone would oppose such military policing military.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Soldiers are for fighting WARS, not for harassing it's citizens, The POLICEMAN'S UNION should step up to the plate & say if you need more show of force, then hire more police

So I think the difference here is that the military patrols are to keep the off duty soldiers in the town in line. IE: like the 4 soldiers who beat up a civilian a few days ago down there.

I also agree with the premise that soldiers should only be used in formal capacity on NON-USA ground, but for military base towns it's a little different when they are used to police themselves.

That's a darn tricky line to walk though, it could easily go the wrong direction for us here at home.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Reaching down deep today I see...

Sometimes you post without thinking of the reasons behind what is being done....
    Sigh...
    I have seen towns do that before. Never turns out well for the Towns...

Sounds like they are trying to reign in their drunk soldiers to me. About time.
    Hey...
    Some of us have resembled that statement... :popcorn:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    we already have armed soldiers in uniform on our streets. they are called SWAT teams. or if you go to new york they dont even stic together as a group, they are all armored up just standing in random places with their machine guns ready to hose down the masses that step out of line.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca

Its not for the citizens, its for the soldiers. Its to help stop the dumb s**t PVTs do with a paycheck and a weekend. Not to label the lower enlisted side as retarded but I was a Privet once and I know the things I did on the weekends. Train hard play hard. Sometimes too hard.

Something they didn't mention in the article is that Columbus, Ga is the city that surrounds one of the larges Army Bases in the US. that is home to around 120,000 soldiers, and DOD personal. A majority of witch are between the ages of 18-26. I don't know what you would do with a steady paycheck at the age of 21?

These patrols are not armed patrols. Just a guy with a arm band telling drunk soldiers that they have had enough and making sure they get back to where they need to go without someone getting knifed or knifing someone else.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I do not think that I would mind soldiers patrolling the streets of military base towns as long as they are not wearing light blue UN berets. They might actually lower the crime rates.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Soldiers cause a lot of problems in military towns and having these patrols cuts down on this and has nothing to do with civilians.

If this is strictly for off-duty soldiers, and never ever ever for civilians, then O.K. The article didn't seem to specify. And they said these guys in armbands will be patrolling the streets, not chaperoning drunk soldiers.

I get a little queasy every time I hear about Federal troops integrating with local Police Departments and "policing" together.

So I think the difference here is that the military patrols are to keep the off duty soldiers in the town in line. IE: like the 4 soldiers who beat up a civilian a few days ago down there.

And any bully in uniform beating up civilians should be disgraced from his ranks and put on trial. Cop or soldier.

This used to be much more common and in fact, it's a good idea. A soldier is a soldier on duty, off duty, on post or not on post. A lawful order from an officer or an NCO is a lawful order anywhere.

I assume you mean orders being directed to other soldiers? I don't know what would happen if I started getting orders from some dude in an armband. Somebody better put it on youtube though. Tell my mama I love her.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    we already have armed soldiers in uniform on our streets. they are called SWAT teams. or if you go to new york they dont even stic together as a group, they are all armored up just standing in random places with their machine guns ready to hose down the masses that step out of line.

Referring to LEOs as Soldiers is very demeaning...

Could you please NOT do that again...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I do not think that I would mind soldiers patrolling the streets of military base towns as long as they are not wearing light blue UN berets. They might actually lower the crime rates.

I would mind. Even if they were dressed in American flag pajamas.

This is what I mean about conditioning.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If this is strictly for off-duty soldiers, and never ever ever for civilians, then O.K. The article didn't seem to specify. And they said these guys in armbands will be patrolling the streets, not chaperoning drunk soldiers.

I get a little queasy every time I hear about Federal troops integrating with local Police Departments and "policing" together.
    Were you ever in a Branch of Service?!
    I am not meaning to be combative with that Question. Just Curious...

And any bully in uniform beating up civilians should be disgraced from his ranks and put on trial. Cop or soldier.
    They usually are...
    How about you pressure the Cilivians to stop doing the same to the Soldiers...

I assume you mean orders being directed to other soldiers? I don't know what would happen if I started getting orders from some dude in an armband. Somebody better put it on youtube though. Tell my mama I love her.
    The Soldiers with the Armbands are just Soldiers that have been detailed to ensure that Drunk Soldiers can get home without being Mugged and Assualted...
    They have know weapons, they have little to no interaction from the Local LEOs. The only Civilans that are usually interacted with are Bouncers, Bar Owners, and Strippers...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Stop with your silliness. This used to be much more common and in fact, it's a good idea. A soldier is a soldier on duty, off duty, on post or not on post. A lawful order from an officer or an NCO is a lawful order anywhere.

Dude, as much as I love ya', you make yourself look silly sometimes.

Rambone is right that the article didn't specify that the only purpose of the MP's was to police soldiers and not civilians. Do you know for certain that they have no authority over civilians in these instances?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Rambone is right that the article didn't specify that the only purpose of the MP's was to police soldiers and not civilians. Do you know for certain that they have no authority over civilians in these instances?

I would bet money on the fact that the Majority of the Soldiers are not even MP's...
    I would place an even larger wager that there is no way that the Local Police will take Orders from them...
    I would even go as far to bust open my Pension and say good luck for the Local Leos calling the Military before a Soldier is hauled into the Local ER beating, Bleeding, and Penniless...

Top Bottom