• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorephine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Bloomington
    I was in the local walmart a few days ago and noticed they had added a new aisle filled with "SOG" branded clothes, vests, and backpacks. it looked like pretty decent stuff, but it being sold at walmart made me a bit nervous. After a little bit of looking around it looks just like the gear available from 5.11 just rebranded as SOG, however at a much lower price point. I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with this gear or knows if it really is rebranded 5.11.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Are you sure it wasn't Fieldline Tactical. I have one of their backpacks and it is exactly like a 5.11 Rush 12 (or Rush 24... I don't remember exactly). I got mine at MC Sports, but I have seen them at Walmart before too. (I try to stay away from WalMart... it seems to be the butt hole of every city)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Other than things like road flares, glow sticks, tarps and twine, all the camping, outdoorsy and prep items I've gotten from Wal-Mart have been junk that didn't hold up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Other than things like road flares, glow sticks, tarps and twine, all the camping, outdoorsy and prep items I've gotten from Wal-Mart have been junk that didn't hold up.

THIS!

I would bet lunch that if you compared an actual 5.11 product with a SOG 5.11 side by side you would immediately see the difference. wallyworld is notorious for selling cheaper versions of products. Hell, I saw in a documentary that if the buyers don't like your price point due to your US or European based fabricator, they will literally hook you up with a Chinese manufacturer that will make your product cheaper (both literally and figuratively) so that it will sell for what Walmart wants to sell it for.

so for instance if it were a backpack, the SOG is probably 800 denier nylon instead of 1100 denier, the zippers are generic plastic and not brass YKK, fewer stitch points, etc. you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The SOG knives I've seen at Wal Mart are exactly the same as I've purchased from specialty online retailers. There are MANY brands that are exactly the same at Wal Mart as they would be from any other source. It doesn't automatically preclude it to be cheaper in quality. If they pass close inspection, why worry about it? Enjoy the savings. The OP was in Wal Mart for a reason, right? Or maybe just photographing for Peopleofwalmart.com?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When WalMart started selling Levi jeans, it was amazing how thin and cheaply put together the Wally World product was compared to what you'd get elsewhere at the regular price point.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I know I am way late on this but I want to chime in anyway. I own both bags, the 5.11 was bought at the normal price and the SOG at the China-mart price of 49.95. I have extensively looked them over, it is the same bag except for the zipper pulls and branding... These may be made by someone else and rebranded for 5.11 and many others. I have had the bag for two months now and they are as rugged as the 5.11 branded ones.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Kinda off topic, but along the same lines here.

Ya know what else I've recently become aware of is different stores selling the exact same product, by the same manufacturer, with the exact same brand name, but different model numbers exclusive to each store. For example: A Samsung TV at Walmart, one price. BestBuy same TV at a higher price, different model number. Absoluely no functional difference between the two.

I asked about this at a certain big box store, and the salesman flat out told me: they might mold a part in a slightly different color, or skip the chrome on another part. This gives it a different model number specifically so each store with a price match policy doesn't have to honor it. Was the guy full of crap? No idea, but it sure got me riled up. This thread reminded me of that situation. Just thought I'd share.

Makes me wonder how many other manufacturers out there are doing this.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Kinda off topic, but along the same lines here.

Ya know what else I've recently become aware of is different stores selling the exact same product, by the same manufacturer, with the exact same brand name, but different model numbers exclusive to each store. For example: A Samsung TV at Walmart, one price. BestBuy same TV at a higher price, different model number. Absoluely no functional difference between the two.

I asked about this at a certain big box store, and the salesman flat out told me: they might mold a part in a slightly different color, or skip the chrome on another part. This gives it a different model number specifically so each store with a price match policy doesn't have to honor it. Was the guy full of crap? No idea, but it sure got me riled up. This thread reminded me of that situation. Just thought I'd share.

Makes me wonder how many other manufacturers out there are doing this.

He was right. It's so stores don't have to price match.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    When WalMart started selling Levi jeans, it was amazing how thin and cheaply put together the Wally World product was compared to what you'd get elsewhere at the regular price point.

That is the Levi "Signature" line of jeans... a Wal-Mart exclusive, made to fit with-in Wal-Mart's price points.

They are thinner and not as durable as "real" Levis like 505 or 550's.

I got a few for free and honesty they're made just like the garbage "fashion" jeans sold at trendy stores. They're only suitable for a student, a desk job, lounging around, or messy yard work.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom