• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My neighbor drives an old willys jeep with a .30 browning mounted in the back. When the canvass cover is on it you can bet it's the wood mock-up but when tooling around the neighborhood it is a real life .30 cal machine gun. real cool! the women around here wring their hands and cry..... That's pretty cool too!

I've always thought that if I had the money to buy and restore any vehicle I wanted to that it would be either a Willys MB or a Ford GPW.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Vietnam era..........was it a Jeep or a M151?

A M151 is NOT a Jeep ;)

Most of the 1/4 tons we had during the Viet Nam era were M151 "MUTT"s, built by Ford. They were not "Jeep"s (capital J) but a lot of people still (incorrectly) referred to them as "jeep"s (small j).

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I know it had to be an INGO'er. It was a older style jeep with a machine gun mounted on top. It had an orange emergency light on top as well. I saw it in Floyd Knobs around 10am.

:ar15::ar15:

I'll take a wild stab at it,and say was/could'a been Doug Kiesler.....dude's got'a LOT'a stuff like that....tanks,1/2 trac's,old german WWII stuff....you name it,the dude prolly owns it.....:twocents:

(might be mistaken but....when the dude still own'd the gun shop,now 'Orions'.....seems like I remember see'n a quad .50 down there....looonng time back......)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As in "A little bit Less than a 155" recoilless rifle? :):

Truth in advertising has never been the military's strong point. :hehe:

Actually I just threw away a British military vehicle collectors' magazine that discussed that very thing. The original recoilless was IIRC 104mm (possibly 103mm). It didn't work very well in its first iteration, so it was re-designed and re-issued some years later. Rather than retaining the less-than-successful "104mm" title, it was changed to "105mm".

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I'll take a wild stab at it,and say was/could'a been Doug Kiesler.....dude's got'a LOT'a stuff like that....tanks,1/2 trac's,old german WWII stuff....you name it,the dude prolly owns it.....:twocents:

True that! I have a friend who owns a ton of land out in Hardinsburg and Kiesler basically bought the entire town. But he said we can shoot/hunt whenever we want!:ar15::ar15:

He seems like a very cool guy. I would love to shoot with him and see his collection/arsenal.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Most of the 1/4 tons we had during the Viet Nam era were M151 "MUTT"s, built by Ford. They were not "Jeep"s (capital J) but a lot of people still (incorrectly) referred to them as "jeep"s (small j).

It's like calling a copier machine (or the act of copying on it) "xerox(ing)". Even the original model was a "truck, 1/4 ton"; it got its nickname from a cartoon character named "the Jeep" and the name stuck. Now it's generic for any quarter-ton open top four-passenger military vehicle. (And yes, I can be a pedant also).

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    True that! I have a friend who owns a ton of land out in Hardinsburg and Kiesler basically bought the entire town. But he said we can shoot/hunt whenever we want!:ar15::ar15:

He seems like a very cool guy. I would love to shoot with him and see his collection/arsenal.

HELLuva good dude.....
    Ain't seen or talk'd to'm since he moved on ta bigger/better things(Kiesler Defense Corp) but was always good ta talk to,honest,knowledgable, and could take his word to the bank....got'a brother that's a electrical contractor(or was..)....good dude also..:cool:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's like calling a copier machine (or the act of copying on it) "xerox(ing)". Even the original model was a "truck, 1/4 ton"; it got its nickname from a cartoon character named "the Jeep" and the name stuck. Now it's generic for any quarter-ton open top four-passenger military vehicle. (And yes, I can be a pedant also).

Correct. Much like some old-timers still call all refrigerators a "Frigidaire".

(I hope the pedantry clears up. Have you seen a doctor? ;) )

Top Bottom