So there's this missile nobody has claimed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Most of the data the FAA controllers see is filtered for transponders; especially above 18000 ft. I'm not sure what a vertical launch would look like on radar, if anyone was tracking primary radar returns at the time. Since estimates were that it was 35 miles out to sea, local approach control might not have been monitoring primary returns, either.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    If that was a rocket launch then we see them every morning at work.

On an average clear day we see hundreds of jets traveling W and NW directly over the cemetery. Must be under the flight path to Chicago and S Bend? Since there are no trees and totally open we have an unobstructed view in every direction. Early morning as the jets rise above the horizon and the morning sun catches the plane and their contrails we remark constantly how they look just like a rocket traveling straight up. We've seen this so often over the years that anymore we don't even pay attention to it and when I saw the video it reminded me of it.

I admit though that the contrail in the video is much larger than what we normally see. When conditions are right, the contrails we view vary greatly in width and length and can spread out quickly but usually farther behind the plane.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If that was a rocket launch then we see them every morning at work.

On an average clear day we see hundreds of jets traveling W and NW directly over the cemetery. Must be under the flight path to Chicago and S Bend? Since there are no trees and totally open we have an unobstructed view in every direction. Early morning as the jets rise above the horizon and the morning sun catches the plane and their contrails we remark constantly how they look just like a rocket traveling straight up. We've seen this so often over the years that anymore we don't even pay attention to it and when I saw the video it reminded me of it.

I admit though that the contrail in the video is much larger than what we normally see. When conditions are right, the contrails we view vary greatly in width and length and can spread out quickly but usually farther behind the plane.

The problem I have with your explanation is that the video I saw showed the vehicle ascending and the smoke/vapor wasn't coming from the horizon; it started out about midway down the scene. The cameraman also panned so I could see the the flame coming out of the rear; if an airliner's butt was on fire like that, it would have gotten everyone's attention. I don't know what the video you all were looking at showed, but the video I saw was aired by the originating television station and was headlined on the Drudge Report first thing this morning. For whatever, reason, it was dropped from the site later in the day.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    ummmm........it was a missile. Damage control is telling the sheep it is a contrail from a jet. In a few days it will be forgotten, as Uncle Sugar says jet. It was a missile.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    weather_balloon.jpg

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    What I see as the problem is the fact that NO ONE can account with 100% assurity of what this is, is very problematic for me.

If it's a plane, then why the speculation?

If it's a rocket, why lie?

Why tell the truth? We have mega billions wrapped up in new missile tech, tech that our national security depends on.

We have the capability to see any missile launch in the world within seconds, we know exactly what this is, just not going to tell the public. Think about it, we have to know if Russia just unleashed Armageddon so we can fire back (thats the only way the theory of mutually assured destruction works). If there is a missile launch and the DOD says they know nothing, well its probably just a test of the latest missile, move along nothing to see here. If this was China or Russia, you would have seen about 2300 missiles heading west about 2.3seconds after this one was spotted. A foreign power launching a missile inside our national borders is as close to war as it would get. At bear minimum we would have blown what ever launched the missile strait to Davy Jones.

So all that to say that there is no reason to think this is anything other than a test. If it was a foreign missile....... we would have seen the mushroom clouds coming from China or Russia by now.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    HAHAHAHAHA, just found this explanation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKx4MeBybkc]YouTube - Update on Invasion of American cities by UN Forces and attempts to blow nuclear bombs here[/ame]

:laugh: HAHAHAHAHA this is awesome!

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    If its just a commercial airliner, couldnt they look up the flight records and verify it? I havent heard anyone even talk about that.

Actually it was talked about. There is a flight from Hawaii to Phoenix about that time that's course goes right over Catalina Island (Point Mugu) and L.A.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I can buy that it is airliner contrail. As an airline pilot maybe you can answer a few questions that came to mind.
    1. Apparently this particular one is very unusual. Why is this one so different then the thousands of others in that area?
    2. Why did the airport report no activity in that area?
    3. Why didn't Norad, faa, etc just look at the radar logs, etc. to confirm it was a plane?

Please note. I am not disagreeing with you that it was an airliner. I was just curious that it would seem like a very easy thing to confirm right away without all the time figuring it out.

1. How do you classify a contrail as unusual? I've seen lots of different contrails by various aircraft so I'm not sure what you are refering to. Is it too wide?

2. The airport will only have jurisdiction of airspace to about 12,000-15,000 feet then Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center (or just known as LA Center) would have it above that. Contrails are not formed at those altitudes typically so by asking the airport to comment really means nothing. They can only comment on what is in their airspace and from the video this does not look like it was.

3. Because everyone was :runaway: and the spokespersons probably wanted to leave room for the possibility in any statement until it could be investigated further. They probably knew that they had no evidence in their system of any missile but being concerned probably didn't want to rule out the possibility with people so insistant on what they saw. But I'll tell you that my training and experience with aircraft accident investigation is that adults are really the worst witnesses. Their "experience" gets in the way of what they saw. The adult brain tries to fill in the what it does not readily understand.

Ground bound people see a lot of life in 2 dimensions. Sure, they play sports which require some 3 dimension thinking but when it comes to BIG 3D (aviation, aerospace, space) it's too big for their experience. So, we have an airliner flying in the 30,000+ foot cruise coming over the horizon. Where do we first see an object coming over the horizon? Near the ground. But it's really 30k feet above the ground. But because of the arc of the globe it does not appear that way. Our brain "fills in" what we don't understand. A plume of "smoke" (or anything white, say, contrail which stands for condensation trail) is seen. But it's not noticed from the start. The video starts with the plume already extending from the horizon to an inclination of 30 degrees lets say. And there is an orange glow at the tip of the plume! <gasp> A missile! But wait. The sun is setting and has an orange glow. I see sun reflected off aircraft all the time. And orangish glow setting sun will reflect orange off an aircraft very easily at cruise altitude. I see nothing sinister because I've seen this 1,000+ times over 24 years and 11,000+ hours of flying. Nothing to panic over. But the one still shot that was first released had me going too. But AS SOON AS I SAW THE VIDEO... I knew it was a plane in curise flight.

But hey. None of you know me personally so why take my word for it? I'm just the government plant you know. :shady:

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivRJOWrcpA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - "That Is A Missile Shot From A Submarine!" Tom McInerney Fighter Jet Pilot[/ame]

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    1. How do you classify a contrail as unusual? I've seen lots of different contrails by various aircraft so I'm not sure what you are refering to. Is it too wide?

2. The airport will only have jurisdiction of airspace to about 12,000-15,000 feet then Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center (or just known as LA Center) would have it above that. Contrails are not formed at those altitudes typically so by asking the airport to comment really means nothing. They can only comment on what is in their airspace and from the video this does not look like it was.

3. Because everyone was :runaway: and the spokespersons probably wanted to leave room for the possibility in any statement until it could be investigated further. They probably knew that they had no evidence in their system of any missile but being concerned probably didn't want to rule out the possibility with people so insistant on what they saw. But I'll tell you that my training and experience with aircraft accident investigation is that adults are really the worst witnesses. Their "experience" gets in the way of what they saw. The adult brain tries to fill in the what it does not readily understand.

Ground bound people see a lot of life in 2 dimensions. Sure, they play sports which require some 3 dimension thinking but when it comes to BIG 3D (aviation, aerospace, space) it's too big for their experience. So, we have an airliner flying in the 30,000+ foot cruise coming over the horizon. Where do we first see an object coming over the horizon? Near the ground. But it's really 30k feet above the ground. But because of the arc of the globe it does not appear that way. Our brain "fills in" what we don't understand. A plume of "smoke" (or anything white, say, contrail which stands for condensation trail) is seen. But it's not noticed from the start. The video starts with the plume already extending from the horizon to an inclination of 30 degrees lets say. And there is an orange glow at the tip of the plume! <gasp> A missile! But wait. The sun is setting and has an orange glow. I see sun reflected off aircraft all the time. And orangish glow setting sun will reflect orange off an aircraft very easily at cruise altitude. I see nothing sinister because I've seen this 1,000+ times over 24 years and 11,000+ hours of flying. Nothing to panic over. But the one still shot that was first released had me going too. But AS SOON AS I SAW THE VIDEO... I knew it was a plane in curise flight.

But hey. None of you know me personally so why take my word for it? I'm just the government plant you know. :shady:

In regards to item 1. I just meant it had to be unusual otherwise why all the hype. If it was something they saw regularly then no one would have thought twice. Again, I can buy it's a jetliner. No problems there. I am more concerned about how nobody in the gov't can come out and say "hey it was a plane" We are supposed to be able to detect missile launches seconds after launch and NORAD is supposed to track everything up to space debris and NO ONE can say hey it was jet so and so. Just makes me mad that this whole thing is making our military look inept.

Top Bottom