So, Joe the VP has me thinking...maybe I should ADD a shotgun for home defense..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    ....but I can honestly say I've never fired one. Wouldn't know what to look for other than I'm pretty sure it can't be a 12 gauge because my wife needs to be able to handle it too.

The jarhead in me sees the Saiga and gets all wrapped up because, well its cool looking (all EBG and all). Then I cool off and realize that she needs to be comfortable with it too. She has fired my AR, but the recoil is nothing compared to a shotgun. Right?

She has a 38 revolver but it seems the first line of defense could / should be a shotgun with a decent capacity.

Anyone else dealt with these issues? Any recommendations?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Follow ole Joe's advice--get a 12ga, double barreled shot gun. According to him, it's all anybody needs...He instructed his wife that should somebody try to break in their house, just step outside, fire off a couple shells, and ain't nobody gonna try to git her then.

If it's good enough for the VP's wife it'd be good enough for yours :D

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    A shotgun is good for home defense, but a double barrel is probably the worst option because of its weight. Remington 870 is the gold standard, but I'd avoid the Express models. Mossberg 500 is even cheaper.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Might do fine to scare off the neighbor boys who keep stealing the beer out of your garage. Hell would probably scare off most people looking to get away with your valuables. Might not do so much to scare someone who plans on killing you though. I like the idea of being able to pull my trigger 30 times without needing to fumble with reloading when I am half asleep.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    do balcony's off of two story appartment buildings count as rich?!
    i'm moving up in life and didn't have a clue! :banana:

and at the OP for a more serious remark.
    If you're going to get a shotgun that will be good enough for both you and your wife, go with a 20ga youth model.
    she will probably love shooting it, and you'll think it's got as much recoil as your AR.
    fun little guns to shot, not very expensive to feed...throw some bird load in it and you'll get some good paterns for HD.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If I see a prowler on my property I will mix 5lbs of Tannerite, throw it off the balcony, and shoot it with my AR-15. I GUARANTEE they will run!!! And...I don't even need to dial 911 to get police there within five minutes, because they will hear my thunder and come a runnin'.

:D

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thanks Thard6. Any brand I should be looking for? I don't want to get something that will fail 2 years down the road.

I am a huge fan of the browning bps. I've had mine for almost 6 years and I have abused the absolute crap out of it. A little more expensive than an 870 or 500 but worth it if you ask me

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Perhaps someone should tell the idiot from Delaware about the 4 rules of firearms safety, since "shooting the shotgun off the balcony at night" violates the hell out of rule 4. I guess VP Biteme didn't think about his neighbor in the ER getting 6 shot removed fron his arse would be a bad thing. This clown is next in the line of succession?? Saints preserve us!

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Hey Jill, just go out on the balcony and fire both barrels into the air. If the 3 guys coming to rape and murder you are real men, they will then know that you are now totally defenseless. If they are liberals and/or members of the news media, you may have a chance.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A lot of apples and oranges to choose from!
    imo, a shotgun is fantastic for static defence at a 'choke point' like stairs or a hallway where you can top off the gun and don't need to do much manuvering through doors etc. Even with an 18" barrel, a shotgun is about the length of an M16A2, and if you put one of those pistol grips on something bigger than a 20G it will start to get hard to control. If you do need to move around the carbine or even a handgun might be better.
    While a shotgun is the 'poor man's submachine gun', you clearly have more control of "projectile distribution" with the carbine AND won't need to reload as soon.
    The hit potential of a shotgun is higher, but follow up shots are faster with a carbine
    I've read that lightweight .223 bullets penetrate residential walls less than some handgun rounds, but birdshot will penetrate even less.
    I'd suggest borrowing one, or several, and seeing if your wife is comfortable with them. btw my Remington express 12G has always run great.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    A$$ hat Joe aside, I would say that if your wife is good with her 38, stick with it. I'm not going to talk you out of a shotgun purchase, but if your wife is small, it may end up being uncomfortable enough that the better placed 38 is the right choice. If you can figure that out by borrowing or renting a 12ga, you'll be money ahead.
    My wife is small and good with a handgun. I wouldn't push her at all toward a shotgun. If she asked, or didn't refuse a casual offer to try, great. I would then let her make up her own mind.
    YMMV.

Edit: Didn't realize how much of the above I'd be repeating while typing synchronized replies^^^^^ AGREED!

Top Bottom