• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Another vote for crate training or kennel. If you have to crate him for longer than eight hours, however, give it away.

Sorry I don't agree with ya on the last point. I work construction, which means i work 10hr shifts and I'm not going to give up my dog for and arbitrary number! I always make sure i get up early and walk my dog and play with him for a few mins each morning. Upon my return in the evening we go on a walk and play fetch. Besides the fact he keeps me company since I work 1,000 miles from my wife and kids. I can assure you my dog has a good life even though he may have to spend 11hrs a day in his kennel.

P.S. he does not get locked in the kennel overnight, although half the mornings I find him in it.:dunno:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Tell me what could happen to a dog that it would remember it all day and be sad every time that memory came back to its attention.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Sorry I don't agree with ya on the last point. I work construction, which means i work 10hr shifts and I'm not going to give up my dog for and arbitrary number! I always make sure i get up early and walk my dog and play with him for a few mins each morning. Upon my return in the evening we go on a walk and play fetch. Besides the fact he keeps me company since I work 1,000 miles from my wife and kids. I can assure you my dog has a good life even though he may have to spend 11hrs a day in his kennel.

P.S. he does not get locked in the kennel overnight, although half the mornings I find him in it.:dunno:

They associate their crate as a safe place. When my pup gets tired she either sleeps in the floor in front of the TV or she goes to her cage where she feels safe. I just make sure she has a toy to chew on and she won't shred her blanket! :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've had large breed dog for 40 years...NEVER had to crate one... small yard, but kept the dogs occupied, challenged, and trained.....

to each his/her own

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Just wait till your Husky starts chewing concrete into dust!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    The one I had years ago would always do it while he was out in the garage and I was working on something. Huskies Love to chew.

I say go with the crate training. Its not inhumane or hurtful to a dog. Its just insurance.I have crate trained all my dogs. And once they are potty trained I have always gotten them an oversized crate to stay in that has plenty of toys that I rotate out often so they do not get bored.

I mean just think how mad you'd be if you came home only to discover that Fido had pulled open your nightstand and shredded your pistol you keep there???
    :)::)::):
    This is my second one. Both were excape artists, we put in a under ground fence when he was 3 months old that didn't bother him, I put up a chain link fence next-he climbed over it, I put him on a 150' run with a 20' led-that worked for a while, then he learned how to unclip that clasp. The new one is learning fast. I've had him 5 months and he can already undo the clasp.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Tell me what could happen to a dog that it would remember it all day and be sad every time that memory came back to its attention.

Just hit it a few times, then reach out to pet it.... a dog that cowers is NOT happy... you hit it, and it will cower.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    They associate their crate as a safe place. When my pup gets tired she either sleeps in the floor in front of the TV or she goes to her cage where she feels safe. I just make sure she has a toy to chew on and she won't shred her blanket! :D

:)::)::): That's why i went to an oversized cage and lots of different toys. It's amazing the size of the mess that a shredded blanket makes.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    This is my second one. Both were excape artists, we put in a under ground fence when he was 3 months old that didn't bother him, I put up a chain link fence next-he climbed over it, I put him on a 150' run with a 20' led-that worked for a while, then he learned how to unclip that clasp. The new one is learning fast. I've had him 5 months and he can already undo the clasp.

I tried the run thing for mine to for when i was at work. It got to the point that i would have to use a choker chain and a padlock to keep him on it. It would work like 3 outta 4 times. If I ever get another Husky I am just going to name him Houdini and get it over with. :D
    By the way I also had to upgrade the cable to 5/16ss aircraft cable after he chewed through that one day.
    Super smart and affectionate breed though.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Just hit it a few times, then reach out to pet it.... a dog that cowers is NOT happy... you hit it, and it will cower.

I understand that but he said a bad day.....like a he has when the dog craps on the floor and he steps in it.

Dogs can step and crap and not care. Get spanked and not care after a few minutes. They dont mope around all day.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Have you ever had a dog that had been abused? My parents have a dog that had been abused before they got it. That dog doesn't trust many people, she will associate smells and certain foods with bad things that have happened. My sister groomed her one day and tried to feed her cheese to calm her down, she now won't eat cheese and cowers at its sight.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    I understand that but he said a bad day.....like a he has when the dog craps on the floor and he steps in it.

Dogs can step and crap and not care. Get spanked and not care after a few minutes. They dont mope around all day.
    So your an expert on dog behavior?:dunno: Are you saying all dogs are the same? Tell me a valid reason they couldn't have a bad day.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

No need to be sorry for disagreeing. :)

The OP has a 1.5-year-old Rottie. I stand by my statement: It is unfair to the dog to crate him for longer than eight hours. I will go as far as to say that it is unfair to most dogs to crate them for that long.

Not knowing what breed you have and the age of your dog, I cannot comment on your scenario. Either way, it's your dog and your decision.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Have you ever had a dog that had been abused? My parents have a dog that had been abused before they got it. That dog doesn't trust many people, she will associate smells and certain foods with bad things that have happened. My sister groomed her one day and tried to feed her cheese to calm her down, she now won't eat cheese and cowers at its sight.

Yes actually. My current Golden Retriever, Duke. He had apparently been abused by a man before we got him. He would cower and pee whenever I approached him. But with just a little bit of time and some bribing with treats.
    I doubt he remembers anything from before we got him.
    He is now the best trained and smartest of my dogs.
    If anyone he doesn't know comes around he will instantly park himself between them and my girls. :D I like that.

ABNK
    My Golden is at Home with my wife. He is 3yrs old and not crated very often anymore.
    The one with me is a 2yr old Cocker Spaniel.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

that dog has been trained by abuse, not having a bad day.

Your confusing animals and humans.

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    We've trained all our dogs with chew toys. The bitter apple stuff works pretty well, and if you catch them knawing on anything else but their chew toys, then they get punished. I can't speak for crate training since i've never done it. But dogs like to chew. so just let your dog know whats ok to chew on

Top Bottom