• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For I don't know, 2 months now I've been keeping my puppy loose in the house. He can only stay in the kitchen, where his food and water is, and the living room. He sleeps on the love seat. I keep him free when we go to bed, and when we leave for work. NEVER had any problems from him. He's 1.5 years old. 120 pound rottweiler by the way. He's very smart. So anyway, my wife comes home from work. He had ate half a candle, candle wax all over the carpet. He grabbed an ink pen from the table. I have ink stains in my carpet now. Will not come out. He ate one of my wife's doctor bills. And he tore up a homestead deduction form that I have to send back for my property taxes. Other papers and such all over the place.
    I go home for lunch, so when I left he wasn't hyper at all. I have no idea what the hell came over him. This is the first time he's ever done this.

I'm not really going to give him away. I love him to death. He's my best friend 2nd to my wife. But I'm tempted to put him back in his kennel, but I don't know. It wouldn't really be punishing him because he won't remember what he did wrong. So I don't know what to do about this.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    CRATE TRAINING! My dog absolutely loves her crate. We tell her to go to bed and she goes in and waits for you to shut the door. She can't tear anything up that way.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    put everything up that the dog can get that you don't want chewed. If the dog starts chewing on furniture (or any other piece of furniture, wall etc) spray it down with Bitter Apple. (available at most pet stores)
    I find socks in the yard every day from them dragging them out through the dog door. Bitter Apple has stopped the chewing on permanent fixtures and everything else gets put away. (except the stray pair of socks now and then)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a 1yr old (today) rot. i never leave her out of the crate or back yard if im not home. i might have trusted her by the time she was 1.5 yr old but i think ill stick with the crate

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    My rott is 10 years old and has always been kept in a Crate when we were not home. When
    I am getting dressed in the morning she will go and lay down in her crate and wait for me to lock the door.

Its your house and your dealing with a dog, lock it up.

Heres a pic of Fatty.
    viewFile.html

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you can't give the breed the care it deserves, find it a new home. I couldn't crate a large breed dog, any more than I could make a child live in one....

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    If you can't give the breed the care it deserves, find it a new home. I couldn't crate a large breed dog, any more than I could make a child live in one....

Its not like the dog is in a cage all the time. Just when I'm not at home which isn't often anymore since I got laid off.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH

Serious?!? Boo... That's a crap answer.

Man try some apple bitter spray, spray counter tops, wires, shoes, ect. Stuff last forever. You'll never smell it but that rotty will.

Good Luck!!

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Maybe the dog just had a bad day. Do you ever have a day were you just want to f*** something up for no reason? I have those days atleast 4-5 days a week. I have one year old Husky that just recently started to chew things up, I thinks its from a lack of exercise since I been busy lately.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Another vote for crate training or kennel. If you have to crate him for longer than eight hours, however, give it away.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    I have one year old Husky that just recently started to chew things up, I thinks its from a lack of exercise since I been busy lately.

Just wait till your Husky starts chewing concrete into dust!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    The one I had years ago would always do it while he was out in the garage and I was working on something. Huskies Love to chew.

I say go with the crate training. Its not inhumane or hurtful to a dog. Its just insurance.
    I have crate trained all my dogs. And once they are potty trained I have always gotten them an oversized crate to stay in that has plenty of toys that I rotate out often so they do not get bored.

I mean just think how mad you'd be if you came home only to discover that Fido had pulled open your nightstand and shredded your pistol you keep there???
    :)::)::):

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    No I do, just the other day my rottie was looking sad.
    :rolleyes:

But bad days...come on.
    Why couldn't dogs have bad days. They're animals just like you and me. They have brains, they feel pain, and are capable of learning. To think dogs couldn't have a bad day ridiculous.

Top Bottom