So, an interesting thing happened tonight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    ]My job is all travel, and I'm staying in a motel-style extended stay hotel (southern Mississippi). I had a knock at my door a little while ago, and check the peephole to see someone in a police uniform standing there. I tell them to wait a bit and put on my pants (I skipped a shirt due to a brutal sunburn), and open the door to find a local officer who's there to do a 'welfare check'. Apparently, the front desk staff was a bit 'concerned' by a few packages I received today, which were parts for the AR-15 I'm currently building. So, I explain my situation, answer a few questions, show her my driver's license and Indiana handgun license. She calls in my license number, everything seems in order, she takes my picture (after I put on a shirt), and she takes a picture of my AR. After all this, I went to the front desk to let them know that everything checked out, and that the police had spoken to me. The desk clerk was a bit embarrassed, but apparently it's some sort of policy they have. So, anyone else have an experience like this before?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    ]My job is all travel, and I'm staying in a motel-style extended stay hotel (southern Mississippi). I had a knock at my door a little while ago, and check the peephole to see someone in a police uniform standing there. I tell them to wait a bit and put on my pants (I skipped a shirt due to a brutal sunburn), and open the door to find a local officer who's there to do a 'welfare check'. Apparently, the front desk staff was a bit 'concerned' by a few packages I received today, which were parts for the AR-15 I'm currently building. So, I explain my situation, answer a few questions, show her my driver's license and Indiana handgun license. She calls in my license number, everything seems in order, she takes my picture (after I put on a shirt), and she takes a picture of my AR. After all this, I went to the front desk to let them know that everything checked out, and that the police had spoken to me. The desk clerk was a bit embarrassed, but apparently it's some sort of policy they have. So, anyone else have an experience like this before?

I too travel for work often, and I would have told them it was none of their business.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I have no clue why an officer would feel the need to take a picture of either you or your gun. If I was in your situation, I'd give the local sheriff a friendly call asking for an explanation.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, if you state the name of the hotel, it would be prudent for any and all firearms aficionados NOT to stay at that hotel.

Vote with your dollars.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I understand the officer was doing their job by asking you questions & checking licenses. Don't really have issue with that (more of an inconvenience) since they got a call & have to check it out. I think taking pics of you & your AR were not needed. Why not go ahead & get a set of prints & a DNA sample while you're there!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

Were the packages see thru? How did they know they were for an AR?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I had my family in an extended stay and they were VERY gun friendly. As a matter if fact two of the employees are INGO members. Still, like Miguel posted, how did they know what it was? Maybe. Friendly conversation with you could have put them at ease?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unreal! I wouldn't have said crap to the cop other than I'm ok and I won't be answering any questions. The coorporate office of the hotel would have been next on my call list. The front desk would have gotten a piece of my mind on the way to my new hotel.Ridiculous

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I've had packages arrive previously with poor labeling that didn't have my name on the outside, so they were opened to check the invoice. Also, today's packages included items from 'Tactical Deals' and 44Mag.com. Either way, I'm on great terms with everyone on staff I've actually met. In all honesty, the officer seemed about as confused as I did during the interaction.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Officer seemed confused but still was happy to record your info and even pictures wow! Hope your door doesn't get kicked in this week by over zealous cops, or you don't get robbed,

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    carparkwallet420-420x0.jpg

Top Bottom