• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

What does it explain? As far as facts go, they tested 1,000 13 year olds and then tested them when they were 38, and they weren't as sharp? Wow, I'm shocked. There are a whole lot of variables in an experiment such as this one, and simply who smoked cannabis and who didn't doesn't gage much.

Of the people who tested lower at 38...How many of them finished high school? How many of them went to college? How many of them sought continual education after college? How many of them use(d) mind altering/destructive drugs? How many of them bumped their heads during those twenty some years? lol.

It doesn't explain why 13 year olds can learn a foreign language faster thana 38 year old. It doesn't explain why 13 year olds explain to 38 years olds how to use Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, or any other basic computer programs. In other words, some smart 13 year old in the seventies is still smarter than his classmate at 38 who dropped out of high school, dropped off of some scaffolding onto his head, and also likes to smoke pot. The entire"research" was two IQ tests. Come on, that is not research or proof of anything. No medical scans of a brain before, during, after, etc.?

There should just be a set age limit for adulthood. If you're old enough to be trusted with a car, then you should be able to defend your life with a handgun, etc. If you're old enough to work a job, you're old enough to come home and unwind from that job in whatever way you prefer. Some people like music, some people like watching the news, some people like to play video games, some people like to drink alcohol, and some people like to smoke cannabis.

Still, it's probably good advice to not let your kids drink or do drugs while they're still in school. I never needed cannabis to have a fun time when I was a teen. Although, someone did mention ADD, I've also read cannabis can help with MS, slowing brain cancer tumor growth, PMS, IBS, depression, etc. So,with anything else, use in moderation and you'll probably be fine. I didn't try it until I was 21, and I made the Dean’s list last semester, and the one before that.

I saw the US paid for these Kiwis to get high for this "study". I wonder if they put any money into researching what cell phones do to a teen’s brain.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    IDK, I literally smoked at least an eighth every day from 13-24. When I was 19, I become a district manager for one of the big 3 computer manufacturers and continued to move up the chain as my districts sales were killin! Good day, celebrate with a j. Bad day, time to celebrate with a j.

Now, I haven't taken a single puff in 10 years. There are a ton of very successful every day people that smoke pot on the daily.

You want to worry about what's making our kids dumb, let's just focus on the public education system and the indoctrination of our youth. Let's go big as this effects all students.

Also, I just read a study that concluded that 100% of high school kids that didn't smoke pot were 100% boring. Or something like that. Wait...what?

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    I'm betting this was done with 100% parental supervision. Made sure they came home every day after school to smoke their pot and do their homework. Probably in an upper class community. Driving them to their after school activities while smoking their pot. Probably Not! A 13 yr old, the enviroment that they grew up around probably has alot to do with how that person mentally developed. Pretty good chance they wouldn't have been any more successful not smoking the pot.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm betting this was done with 100% parental supervision. Made sure they came home every day after school to smoke their pot and do their homework. Probably in an upper class community. Driving them to their after school activities while smoking their pot. Probably Not! A 13 yr old, the enviroment that they grew up around probably has alot to do with how that person mentally developed. Pretty good chance they wouldn't have been any more successful not smoking the pot.

I recently told my daughter (9 yo) that if I ever find a bag of pot in her drawers then her punishment will be that I will sit her butt down at the kitchen table, roll the whole bag up into however many joints and force her to watch her father smoke every last one of them :D

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Kids should not smoke pot, or tobacco or drink alcohol.
    If I have kids, I will do my best to keep them from doing these things.

If you get busted with a bag of pot, hope that I am on your jury. I don't think its any of the government's business. This is family stuff, this is cultural stuff, it is not government stuff.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Kids should not smoke pot, or tobacco or drink alcohol.
    If I have kids, I will do my best to keep them from doing these things.

If you get busted with a bag of pot, hope that I am on your jury. I don't think its any of the government's business. This is family stuff, this is cultural stuff, it is not government stuff.

In all seriousness, I do agree with all of this. The reason I stopped 10 years ago is well, I have a 9 year old. The whole parents who use drugs have kids who use drugs made sense to me.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Here, I'll do my own "scientific study." The people that work for me that are known pot smokers are the dumbest guys I have. They get lost finding jobs that they go to weekly, forget to take important material for the job, forget to do part of the job, forget to get up to come to the job. Yes, they eventually get fired. And yes, people that don't smoke sometimes make these same mistakes but seldom is it a pattern.

:yesway: Agree with you 100% every pot smoker that has crossed my path, over the years is a worthless POS.
    Most are lazy slobs, very passive, unopinionated, with no motivation to do anything but smoke dope.
    Am surprised the government has not already legalized pot, because it makes people, perfect passive citizens, that wont complain if taxes are 100% as long as big brother supplies them with dope.
    Flame on stoners.

P.S. as you can tell i despise dopers, and for good reason.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    :yesway: Agree with you 100% every pot smoker that has crossed my path, over the years is a worthless POS.
    Most are lazy slobs, very passive, unopinionated, with no motivation to do anything but smoke dope.
    Am surprised the government has not already legalized pot, because it makes people, perfect passive citizens, that wont complain if taxes are 100% as long as big brother supplies them with dope.
    Flame on stoners.

Judgemental much? I flat out guarantee you that you've met several people that you thought were motivated and intelligent who also smoke pot on the daily or at least a frequent basis. You just don't know.

It is such a shame to see people be so narrow minded and pigeon hole anyone into a label when they don't even know them.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    It's very common to talk about the "stoners" and instinctively many of us think of pot users as slow.
    But one of the biggest pot heads I knew in school is not a physician's assistant. He'd be an MD I'm sure if he didn't go the route of making big money on oil rigs first for years. His brother, my best pal in high school, was big into pot and still does it as far as I know and owns his own construction business.

Dummies and intelligent people both do pot. Dumb is REALLY DUMB on pot. Your smart people likely aren't going to admit to pot use anyway which could skew statistics.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Even growing up as a teenager in the late 60s, it was well into the late 70s before I ever smelled pot and was pretty sure what it was (caught one of my favorite Crew Chiefs smoking it in his barracks room; I'd never have pegged him for being so dumb). Even today, I can't tell the difference between pot and regular wood smoke. Just lucky, I guess. . .

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Flame on stoners.

By chance, was your high school grammar instructor a pothead?

Top Bottom