• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    OK I will be the bad guy. I'm all for smoking bans, 100%. I don't think you have the right to pollute the air in any public place. You have the right to put that crap in your lungs and only your lungs. You do not have the right to pollute the air for other people.

You have rights as long as they don't infringe on my rights. That is where it gets sticky.

Leave it up to the business, - if people don't want to work in a smoke polluted environment they can get a job somewhere else, yada yada yada...

Flame on...

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    They passed it in my town a year or so ago and there was some backlash in the beginning but it has all died off now. Its not right for government to tell you what to do in your own business even though I enjoy the no smoking. There were places I did not go before because of the smoking such as restaurants who have a smoking and non smoking section. There is never a non smoking section that is smoke free in a restaurant that allows smoking from what I have ever seen. Also, I have heard several smokers say they were going to quit bowling at the alley and eating out around town and those same guys are still there.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I smoked for over 25 years. I’ve been reformed for 2 ½ years. I like the occasional second hand smoke experience. It doesn’t bother me. With that said, I agree that it should be the property owners decision only if children are not allowed in the establishment if smoking is permitted. I think it is irresponsible to smoke in a house or car around children & pets. Anyone who has ever smoked & inhaled knows damn well smoking affects your health and the health of those around you. Smoking should be an individual choice as long as you are not infringing on the right and health of those who are too young or unable to make a choice to be around your smoke.

When my daughter was born in 82 I was too young & dumb to know better. By the time my son got here in 95 I was older and wiser. With him we didn’t smoke in the house or the car. We tried to stay away from him when we smoked. When I smoked I tried to be considerate of non-smokers. I didn’t smoke in restaurants or other places if I was with any non-smokers. You have a right to smoke & non-smokers have a right to somewhat fresh air. If people would just be considerate of each other the government wouldn’t have to get involved.

Last edited:

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I think smoking should be outlawed altogether. I know you won;t agree with me so here is my opinion. I go into a bar and everyone is smoking and I'm not. So now I go home smelling like a chimney. I've talked to several restaurant owners. I'm told the smokers usually buy drinks after a meal while smoking, there spending more money on drinks.
    2nd, If you going to smoke, then get years older and have a cancer of some kind or just something wrong with you that smoking has created, you should have enough health insurance to cover it. If you don't have any insurance, then you should not seek medical attention. It's not fair for me to continually pay for your medical bills with my tax money when you were told that smoking could injure you.

Based upon this logic ANYTHING that is unhelathy for you should be controlled... food, alcohol, stress as determined by gov etc...

FYI recently quit smoker, Smokers have rights as well

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Cigarette smoke make me sick when I smell it.

And for all you non believers out there who say it doesn't affect non smokers.

Do this ONE time.....

Go to an establishment that is med to heavily filled with smoke, spend at least 1 hour there.

This is the reason why people in the service industry waiters/waitresses/busboys and delivery people want no smoking.

I quit bowling 17 years ago because of the smell I had to put up with that permeated my clothes.

While I respect your right to dislike smoke and smoking, you mug understand that you are letting your personal feelings cloud the larger issue, which is more liberties being legislated away.

Dumb people do dumb things in fast cars, so let's ban all corvettes

Some people have bad personal hygiene and smell bad, so let's require everyone to report for a .gov administrated shower every morning.

Tornadoes love trailer parks, let's ban all mobile homes.

Consuming too much alcohol leads to liver disease, ugly people breeding, traffic accidents, etc. Let's ban beer and liquor

And then there's the gun arguement.

Each of these are assinine when taken at face value, yet let the emotional factor come into play and suddenly you'll find all sorts of justifications for supporting them.

The argument against this is not about smoking or not, it's about people having the FREEDOM to choose without some hand wringing, do it for the children, tyranical government telling us what we can or can't do and when we can or can't do it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    OK I will be the bad guy. I'm all for smoking bans, 100%. I don't think you have the right to pollute the air in any public place. You have the right to put that crap in your lungs and only your lungs. You do not have the right to pollute the air for other people.

You have rights as long as they don't infringe on my rights. That is where it gets sticky.

Leave it up to the business, - if people don't want to work in a smoke polluted environment they can get a job somewhere else, yada yada yada...

Flame on...

So.... Are you for the bans or against them? You say "for", but your examples says "against". I'm confused? :dunno:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I respect your right to dislike smoke and smoking, you mug understand that you are letting your personal feelings cloud the larger issue, which is more liberties being legislated away.

No I'm not letting my personal feelings cloud the larger issue, want to smoke while I, my wife and my nieces who are eating with me, fine stroll your little arse outside for your smoke. Let that smoke dissipate out there in the wide blue yonder where it can not permeate every clothing fiber I own and inhale the same crap that you would smell if you tried the trash bad thing.

Don't invade the space where we are sitting with your exhaling plume of second hand smoke.

I don't mind you or anyone else smoking outside where it's effects create a whole lot less problems for me or anyone else.

It's inside a confined space is where smokers don't think for a second that it affects someone. People like myself who was born with respiratory problem because of premature birth or asthma suffers because of peoples inability wait a little bit to get their fix of nicotine.

I'm not saying you or others can't smoke, do it outside, in your car, in your home, just not where I have to be the test rat in the closed box with a room filled with smoke inhaling it.

I would liken this to being at lane 2 of 25 in a empty range, no one else around.

Then some dude strolls in and plops down in lane 3 and proceeds to pull out every piece of artillery know to man that emits 2 foot of flame and has enough percussion to resuscitate a dead man from a 1/4 mile away.

You'd be pissed right? Well guess what, this is the same exact thing that happens to non smokers, join the crown.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You have every right to be pissed, I'll give you that. You have NO right to tell the property owner what he should do about it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IndyBeerman;2392939 I would liken this to being at lane 2 of 25 in a empty range said:
    I suppose we could pass a "no artillery at the range" ordinance, so we could all be happy? A "(Smoking) Gun Ban" ordinance? That way individual ranges wouldn't have their own rules any longer. Of course, we would all end up shooting airsoft - so no one would be "hurt".

As a non-smoker, if I take my family to a restaurant that allows smoking, *I* am the idiot. Why force the business owner to cater to me, if he doesn't want to? There are plenty of places that WANT my non-smoking business.

Case in point: There is a certain firearms shop that REEKS of smoke. They few times I've gone there, I come out stinking. So, I don't go. I've got no problem buying from them at the 1500 (they have good prices), but I just avoid the shop. Should I ask for an ordinance FORCING him to quick smoking in his own shop, just so I can go there once every 3 months?

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I'll tell you this... my belief structure says I want big brother out of my life as much as possible... but I love going to bars that don't allow smoking...

I'm not asking for a smoking ban, but if it passes, it will benefit me. However the next big political ban on personal liberties might negatively effect me...

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I agree with everything you just posted, yotewhacker, except your very first statement. Yes, if you choose to patronize a smoking bar, chances are you will emerge smelling like smoke. Yes, smokers spend more money on drinks; good for the business that sells those drinks. If you choose to drink too much, and end up harming someone, then you should be prosecuted. Yes, smoking causes cancer, and if it causes your cancer, I hope you have the means to pay your own bills, as I agree the taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for it. See, we agree except I think you should have personal freedom, which carries along with it personal responsibility. You believe instead that freedoms should be outlawed. I don't agree with THAT.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I look forward to the opportunity to try out new taverns/bars/brewhouses without having to deal with the smokey environment.

However, I believe it should be at the owners discretion.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO

Flame on...

Your car pollutes my air. Therefore you can't drive. Right?

Oh also, you can't wear cologne, your wife can't wear perfume, you can't belch or fart, or eat pungent food, or go into public unless you showered immediately beforehand (but only if you didn't use a scented soap).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I absolutely can not stand cigarette smoke. To me, it smells like burning trash. I do occasionally smoke cigars and a pipe but I do it outside or in my vehicle while driving (can't remember the last time I have though). The bars/clubs in Ft. Wayne started being semi decent (other than the human trash) after they implemented a ban. I've got good friends that smoke and not a single one of them has an issue with stepping outside for a few minutes. As far as restaurants, if you're going out to eat and smoke while eating your meal, you're not really tasting your food so you might as well stay home.

PS. That 20 minutes of hacking up a lung every morning looks really cool.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsells13
    I do not smoke, and therefore I am fine using the force of government to strip all of you of your rights to control your own body and your property for the strict purpose of insuring I am not inconvenienced by your freedom...

Fixt

Pretty much sums it up. And if we are to allow the Gubmint to exercise power over "We the Sheeple" to this level (including all of the other usurpations great and small to this point) they will get the impression (rightly so) that the Sheeple are okay with it. And when in human history has any government EVER stopped taking power when it's subjects have shown no interest in stopping them. Even when did they ever for that matter. :(

In short, they will continue to take power and micro manage our lives, in more and greater ways until they finally start getting into areas that affect those that see no problem at this point. The question at that point will be, are we powerful enough and in large enough numbers to stop b@$tards.

Well, will we?????? :ar15:

:+1: rep inbound

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    from some things ive heard, theyre trying to push this thru for the super bowl...cuz out of towners dont want to sit in smoky indianapolis bars....if theres any truth in that then this idea is just rediculous...visitors should not dictate local law

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Meh. Governments have been dictating what can and cannot be consumed, smoked, grown, raised, bought, or sold on private property for centuries. I don't see what the big fuss is about all the sudden.

That is exactly why our forefathers went to war with England and why the Civil War was fought.

Heeeeeyyyy, did you forget your purple????? :rolleyes:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have really been surprised by some of the people that come down on the side against liberty and property rights. I guess I now understand why both parties play the same game. They are just giving people what they want. As long as it is something they want, they don't care about stripping other people's rights away to get it. If it is my property, it is my rules. Don't like it, leave. Why do you have the right to tell me what rules I should have? I just don't understand why people don't see the dangerous direction they are setting.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I support it. Employees shouldn't have to make the choice to work in it or not and customers shouldn't have to deal with cigarette smoke. I think smoking should be limited to smoking bars/clubs, private property and outside only.

Flame suit on.

And you shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun in public because they are dangerous and can hurt and kill people. And they also scare the he11 out of the little pansy a$$ed libs that like to tell us how we can live our lives and where we can smoke (if we like to smoke).

Point of order - I don't smoke and never have. AND I DO NOT AGREE WITH GOVERNMENT TELLING PEOPLE WHERE AND WHEN THEY CAN SMOKE A LEGAL PRODUCT. That should be up to the business owner. Period. The business is his, not the governments.

That may not be a bad idea. All of the business owners should just close up and tell the government: You think you know best, you run ALL of them. See what happens then.

Top Bottom