• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    My father in law has recently purchased a used S&W 629 that doesn't have the thumbpiece to release the cylinder. I have found the replacement parts but from looking at it the actual stud to screw the nut onto is broken off completely. I have looked everywhere online but am getting too many returns to make it through all of them. Any help would be great, even though it looks like a trip to S&W is in order. Thanks in advance. I would have to get pictures on later if needed for clarification.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Please use the correct technique to remove the side plate, if you intend to work on it yourself.

Remove the grips and the screws holding the side plate on.
    Cradle the gun in your left hand with the side plate down.
    Rap the left side of the frame with a non-marring hammer until the side plate comes out enough to be lifted off.
    DO NOT use a screwdriver to pry it off.
    Word to the wise:oldwise:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You can also use a wooden or plastic handle of a hammer or screwdriver to tap the frame. Tap on the part of the frame that the grips cover. You may have to give it 3 or 4 good whacks. Just don't use a metal hammer. If you hold the sideplate side down just above the bench over a rag or rubber mat the hammer block will fall out with the sideplate into your hand or on the bench. Don't let the sideplate hit the floor and and don't lose the hammer block. It rides on a small pin on the rebound slide with hammer block slid upwards on that little pin as far as it will go. The sideplate won't go back on unless you get the hammer block positioned just right. Ease the sideplate back into position with the top of the sideplate sliding into the frame first. Line it up exactly and press in into place with your thumbs. Don't whack it. Replace the screws snugly but don't torque them too tightly. Absolutley make sure your screwdriver bit fills the screw slot in width and depth. Use a hollow ground bit, not a Craftsman screwdriver. It will booger the screws and or slip out and scratch the crap out of your frame.

Last edited:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Nice find.

Yes, use the right screwdrivers to get the side plate off.

You have to take the lockwork out to get to this part as it is buried beneath
    everything else in there but it is not that complicated.
    Take pictures with your cell phone on each step and reverse to reassemble.

Definitely will.

Please use the correct technique to remove the side plate, if you intend to work on it yourself.

Remove the grips and the screws holding the side plate on.
    Cradle the gun in your left hand with the side plate down.
    Rap the left side of the frame with a non-marring hammer until the side plate comes out enough to be lifted off.
    DO NOT use a screwdriver to pry it off.
    Word to the wise:oldwise:

Read about this on a different forum thanks for confirming.

You can also use a wooden or plastic handle of a hammer or screwdriver to tap the frame. Tap on the part of the frame that the grips cover. You may have to give it 3 or 4 good whacks. Just don't use a metal hammer. If you hold the sideplate side down just above the bench over a rag or rubber mat the hammer block will fall out with the sideplate into your hand or on the bench. Don't let the sideplate hit the floor and and don't lose the hammer block. It rides on a small pin on the rebound slide with hammer block slid upwards on that little pin as far as it will go. The sideplate won't go back on unless you get the hammer block positioned just right. Ease the sideplate back into position with the top of the sideplate sliding into the frame first. Line it up exactly and press in into place with your thumbs. Don't whack it. Replace the screws snugly but don't torque them too tightly. Absolutley make sure your screwdriver bit fills the screw slot in width and depth. Use a hollow ground bit, not a Craftsman screwdriver. It will booger the screws and or slip out and scratch the crap out of your frame.
    Thanks

Thanks for confirming i had seen that but wasn't positive about it. I will update this post with pics of the repair when possible.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    In twenty years of working on S&W revolvers I have never seen one break. But I definitely believe that it is possible if there were maybe a casting void or as suggested someone got tired of it being repeatedly loosened by recoil (heavy loads) and decided to tighten the bejesus out of it with the biggest Snapon screwdriver they had. It was not designed to take a lot of torque. They do loosen up. I use a little blue Loc-tite and check all of the screws frequently on the N frame Smiths. I have seen a number of guns lose rear sights and screws simply because the owner never bothered to check them. The worst gun for self disassembly I have ever seen are Charter Bulldogs. (I own one) They're just like an old Harley. You have to constantly check and tighten all of the fasteners or else pieces WILL fall off. But I still love it.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    What's the barrel length on the gun? I think you should probably consider the gun as scrap and sell the whole thing to me and I'll take care of getting it fixed. (Insert mischievous grin here.)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    What's the barrel length on the gun? I think you should probably consider the gun as scrap and sell the whole thing to me and I'll take care of getting it fixed. (Insert mischievous grin here.)

Dirty Harry length lol. And I tried that already. What is the going rate on a gently used one, this is the only blemish on it.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    S&W has a lifetime warranty on their newer guns.

If this gun was mine I would just send it into them for repair and a free warranty check.

JMO,

~TK

Top Bottom