• ...and so much more!
  • Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    No, I'm not talking about a 1911.

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a slim single stack .45 ACP that will easily slip underneath a tank top and shorts this summer. But I want one with a thumb safety. The XDS fits the bill perfectly, sans thumb safety of course, which sucks because I really like it!

I currently have a Ruger LC9 that I use as my EDC, and I have spent the last year training myself to simply click the thumb safety off after I draw. I know other pistols have built in safety devices like grip safeties, and trigger safeties and what not, but I don't want to have to change my muscle memory, so thumb safety it is. Plus I'd prefer it be hammerless, so no 1911's.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    para ordinance "Slim Hawg" is the option that jumps to the top of my mind, if you are willing to reconsider the 1911. most of the modern polymer frame guns will have a trigger safety similar to the glock or a grip safety. I cant think of any with a thumb switch safety

Slim%252520Hawg%252520019a.jpg

357757_01_para_slim_hawg_640.jpg

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Fitting this criteria:

• .45 acp
    • Non 1911 style pistol
    • Single-stack
    • No Hammer (visible)
    Literally, the only gun I can think of is a H&K USP Compact chambered in .45 acp. It is bigger, but it is single stack and the hammer is hidden.

IMG_0389.jpg

If you're willing to drop the safety consideration, there are plenty of great guns that I can recommend for you. If you're willing to drop the .45 acp and go with something in a .40 S&W, I think another great option is the PM40:

https://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM40-w-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

thoughts?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The XDS fits the bill perfectly, sans thumb safety of course, which sucks because I really like it!

You know that the XDs has a double-safety. Both the trigger pull safety like the Glock and a grip safety on the backstrap. So it's really difficult to get it to fire unless you are holding it in your hand and pull the trigger intentionally.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Drop to .40, and get an m&p shield. It has a thumb safety, and it's super thin and easy to carry.

Maybe one day, they'll put out a .45 version. That'd be the perfect pick for you.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    would you consider a 1911 if it was hammerless?
    The Para LDA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yPmg8cyf3W0
    I do like the look of that. It's pretty much what I'm looking for. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they reliable, etc? Plus, how much are they new?

Drop to .40, and get an m&p shield. It has a thumb safety, and it's super thin and easy to carry.

Maybe one day, they'll put out a .45 version. That'd be the perfect pick for you.

I do fully expect them to make a shield .45 one day. Considering how popular the XDS is I would imagine everyone will follow suit in one way or another. I just don't want to wait.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I do like the look of that. It's pretty much what I'm looking for. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they reliable, etc? Plus, how much are they new?

I do fully expect them to make a shield .45 one day. Considering how popular the XDS is I would imagine everyone will follow suit in one way or another. I just don't want to wait.

yes para ordinance are quite reliable.
    there are a few on gunbroker for between $750 and $1025 right now. here is a link to one in 3" .45ACP that comes with a lot of mags and it looks pretty good too
    Para PDA .45ACP 1911 with LDA Trigger, 4 xtra mags : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

it has a buy it now of $950 and an opening bid of $850 I would snap it up before someone else does....like me lol

ps - mods if I have violated any rules by posting a link to GB I am sorry, just trying to help someone out

Last edited:

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    yes para ordinance are quite reliable.
    there are a few on gunbroker for between $750 and $1025 right now. here is a link to one in 3" .45ACP that comes with a lot of mags and it looks pretty good too
    Para PDA .45ACP 1911 with LDA Trigger, 4 xtra mags : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

it has a buy it now of $950 and an opening bid of $850 I would snap it up before someone else does....like me lol

ps - mods if I have violated any rules by posting a link to GB I am sorry, just trying to help someone out

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Id love to purchase this para Slim if your interested in selling
    chris334-XXXXtxt or call is prefered:):)

The thread is 5 years old. The poster hasn't logged on in 14 months. It wasn't his gun to begin with, just an add on gunbroker. It's also against the forum rules here to buy/sell outside of the classifieds and there's rules on participating there.

Top Bottom