• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Ill try to keep this as short as possible, but I'm needing some opinions.

Jan 9th I had hip surgery, spent the night in the hospital and came home the next day. Sleep was hard to acquire, also having 24 stitches on my left side made it hard to get comfortable. The pain medicine the doctor gave me helped me sleep but gave me nightmares. (Only took the medicine when needed)

Now almost fully recovered, I have no stitches and arnt on any medications. My problem now is I cant get to sleep. I can be dead tired but still somehow I cant sleep more than 5 or so hours a night. Im not sure why this is happening and haven't talked to my doctor about it. This has been going on for little over a week. I can really feel it taking a tole on my body/mind.

With that said, has anyone here had sleep problems? If so, what helps you get to sleep/stay asleep. Should I consult my doctor, or would it be a waste of my time?

Any help would be great (within reason)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Your doctor can give you something to help. I've used them in the past, but I felt groggy the next day, so I stopped using them. Tonight, for example, I can't sleep. Tomorrow, I'll be tired all day, but I have the weekend to try and catch up. For me, the biggest problem I have is worrying about sleep which keeps me up. Power naps (short thirty minute naps ) help.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Your doctor can give you something to help. I've used them in the past, but I felt groggy the next day, so I stopped using them. Tonight, for example, I can't sleep. Tomorrow, I'll be tired all day, but I have the weekend to try and catch up. For me, the biggest problem I have is worrying about sleep which keeps me up. Power naps (short thirty minute naps ) help.

Im in the same boat. My son will be up around 9 or 10, so hopefully I will be able to.sleep soon. This weekend he will be with my mother, so Im hoping I can catch up on some rest. Im still not 100% from surgery, makes me wonder if my lack of sleep is effecting my recovery. I just want to be able to go back to work. . Maybe then I can wear myself out enough to be able to sleep

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You have been through a lot, including a lot of stress. That will play havoc with your rest. It's just part of the human condition. If it persists, you may need a little help from the doctor, but it doesn't sound like cause for undue concern. Give yourself a chance to balance out.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    You have been through a lot, including a lot of stress. That will play havoc with your rest. It's just part of the human condition. If it persists, you may need a little help from the doctor, but it doesn't sound like cause for undue concern. Give yourself a chance to balance out.

It actually ended up being two different surgerys in 2 days. The day i went home, i went directly to the couch. Laid there while my wife and i ate lunch, when i got up i was bleeding everywhere. We rushed back to the ER where they opened me back up. Some of the stitches that was holding my muscle up to fill a pocket ripped. Luckily it wasnt anything real bad. Your right through stress has a lot to do with it.

JJP8153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Ill try to keep this as short as possible, but I'm needing some opinions.

Jan 9th I had hip surgery, spent the night in the hospital and came home the next day. Sleep was hard to acquire, also having 24 stitches on my left side made it hard to get comfortable. The pain medicine the doctor gave me helped me sleep but gave me nightmares. (Only took the medicine when needed)

Now almost fully recovered, I have no stitches and arnt on any medications. My problem now is I cant get to sleep. I can be dead tired but still somehow I cant sleep more than 5 or so hours a night. Im not sure why this is happening and haven't talked to my doctor about it. This has been going on for little over a week. I can really feel it taking a tole on my body/mind.

With that said, has anyone here had sleep problems? If so, what helps you get to sleep/stay asleep. Should I consult my doctor, or would it be a waste of my time?

Any help would be great (within reason)

I've had trouble sleeping full nights for about ten years, and I've worked 3rds for the last six. 3-5 hrs a night is a full night for me. There are some over the counter, non addictive sleep aids, like Tylenol PM, that you could try that have worked for me, but I don't take em hardly at all anymore because I have no problem falling asleep, just staying that way.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, can you do ANY physical activity at all?

Therapy? Swimming? Any kind of rehab?

Also - examine your diet. Specifically what you're drinking (Caffeine, high sugars, alcohol, combos of the prior...)

If you can exercise at all - do it. I, too, am often in the boat of "I'm exhausted but can't sleep" mode. Brain says sleep, eyes say sleep, but body is like "Dude, I'm not tired yet, I'm gonna stay awake". Activity is the key to that one. Granted, your situation post-surgery is a different one. Maybe look for a "hand bike" to rent - one used in rehabbing wrist/elbow/shoulder injuries.

Also - cut out all caffeine if you're drinking any. Or at least cut yourself off at a certain time (2-3pm, perhaps). Cut out the sugary drinks, too, even if they're caffeine free.

I did mention alcohol before, too. Even though it's a depressant - don't be drinking anything to help you sleep. Not. A. Good. Habit. To. Start.

-J-

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    At some point, what ever the cause, we seem to cross over to not being able to sleep because we're worrying about getting to sleep.

There is good advice above for sure, but often this problem is psychological ... especially after a major surgery. If it makes you feel any better, it seems the more intelligent or thoughtful one is, the worse this problem can be.

Sleep is anologous to death ... and being put under is as close to death as most of us get before the main event. I believe that general anesthesia messes with us physically but also psychologically. There's a mix of drugs that's suppose to put us unconscious then others that paralyze us... Yes paralyze! In normal sleep you move around all night. Not when your put to sleep. Also, that "sleep" is in no way normal. Is more like being nearly "put down" then brought back. Just a little more of the paralyze drug and you stop breathing...

We're getting older and major surgery wakes you up and helps you realize your mortality.

DON'T do drugs to get to sleep. Big mistake.

How you get through this is totally individual and counseling is not a bad idea. That can be on this forum with me :n00b: or with a trusted friend.

Here's a start.
    Plan to stay up all night, then do it.
    Our military men and women have to do it all the time. You'll survive.
    Don't spend your time on the internet, get a book, or write a journal or both.
    Yes, you'll be exhausted and your mind will try to convince you of that and try to stop you from doing this. You need to realize that we have subconscious that tries to control us and keep us in line. (I can convince you of this "other" or what I call the "big brother" in your brain, but that's another thread). You've got to get back in control.
    And quit "trying to sleep." At some point, you have to deal with your mortality (and that doesn't mean by responding "I'm not afraid to die" - big brother).

After your all nighter, no naps. Occupy yourself, go do something. Then don't worry about getting to sleep the next night. Either you will or won't. So what?

It's just a couple of days of work ... it won't kill you no matter what big brother tells you.

Good luck.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I've never slept well my entire like. Melatonin does work well. If you need more than that try prescription Ambien, if that doesn't work Xanax and Ambien is what my Dr has me take when it's really bad. I'd try Melatonin first I was impressed with it.

Top Bottom