• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    Rich James is an out of touch Imbecile. I have the NWI times app, and they USED to let us comment on articles. They took that portion down, because most of the comments were reflective of "our" views. Apparently they didn't like that or didn't want to offend anyone.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    "What we do know is that a minimum of 800 kids under age 14 were killed in gun accidents over the last decade."

Uh, how many kids under age 14 were killed in swimming pool accidents over the last decade? I look forward to his next riveting crusade to fill in all swimming pools with dirt.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Thanks for posting this. Even though I live in Munster, the Times home base, the only thing I ever read in this sorry rag is the obits. Same old lame irrational drivel, never changes.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I will never understand the "think of the kids" mentality from the left when it comes to guns. Yes, any child lost is sad, but they conveniently fail to mention all the children we lose to abortion each and every year.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I will never understand the "think of the kids" mentality from the left when it comes to guns. Yes, any child lost is sad, but they conveniently fail to mention all the children we lose to abortion each and every year.
    I find this response from the right to show a complete lack of understanding of the left. They don't believe a fetus is a "child" or a "kid"...so in their mind there is no loss of life. Just less births. So trying to turn this around on them doesn't show any discontinuity in their beliefs at all, it's a hallow argument that only makes sense to someone with a pro-life belief system.

(I'm very conservative and pro-life. Understanding both sides is key.)

Last edited:

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I find this response from the right to show a complete lack of understanding of the left. They don't believe a fetus is a "child" or a "kid"...so in their mind there is no loss of life. Just less births. So trying to turn this around on them doesn't go against their beliefs at all, it's a hallow argument that only makes sense to someone with a pro-life belief system.

Oh I get that. I just think that's a poor way for them to rationalize their way of thinking.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I find this response from the right to show a complete lack of understanding of the left. They don't believe a fetus is a "child" or a "kid"...so in their mind there is no loss of life. Just less births. So trying to turn this around on them doesn't show any discontinuity in their beliefs at all, it's a hallow argument that only makes sense to someone with a pro-life belief system.

I think they're spot on here. They understand firearms like we understand abortion. Until they at least look through the lens of someone else's perspective they can never grasp the understanding required to make a valid format for debate. The belief is that it's easier to understand the abortion argument because it takes less wording to articulate that one believes human life begins at conception than explaining what a comma means in the second amendment. I apologize for using terms like we and they as those terms leave the impression that I am stereotyping a large group of people blindly. There are plenty of people who understand both sides of one or both arguments and either care or not to address their counterparts in logical thought provoking dialog.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "What we do know is that a minimum of 800 kids under age 14 were killed in gun accidents over the last decade."

Uh, how many kids under age 14 were killed in swimming pool accidents over the last decade? I look forward to his next riveting crusade to fill in all swimming pools with dirt.

One of the ways they'll counter is because you don't "need" an assault rifle; you don't need 30 bullets to kill a deer. They don't understand that there are other uses for a modern sporting rifle; they don't realize people just enjoy shooting for the fun of it or that people like to compete in shooting matches, etc. Swimming pools, they believe are different because they don't go to movie theaters or school buildings and kill people. They may not know many people that enjoy shooting or the ones they do, maybe are "scary".

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    He was far more polite then I'd have been. Likely wasted words. People like that article author have no desire to know the truth. They aren't beings dictated by logic, there is nothing driven by thought or intellect with in a person like him, only a knee jerk emotional response. Ultimately no more complex than a frightened dog biting a stranger.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Again with the "safe storage" nonsense.

1. "Safe storage" laws which struck down as unconstitutional by the United States Supreme Court.

2. If he really wants firearms safety for children, then let's: A. make firearms education mandatory in public schools, B. mandate firearms safety testing before a driver's license is issued, C. mandate firearms testing before an Indiana high school student is allowed to graduate, D. make firearms training for children an above the line tax deduction.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I canceled my subscription to the local rag because of columnists like this individual. I get all my local news from a radio station now. He's entitled to his thoughts, far be it from me to think otherwise but I don't think I'd pay to be able to read them.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    My wife reads this rag daily for local news and the obits, the op ed pieces are not her cup of tea. Then she hands it to me, I do the Sudoku and throw the rest of it in the garbage. People like this columnist are hard for me to understand. I can see a young person being liberal because you have nothing to protect. Once you reach his age you have worked hard and aquired a family and material objects, money, etc.and other things that you should want to keep and protect from baddies, the government, yadda. A liberal is a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet.

Top Bottom