• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have a friend that has a Century import, Bulgarian AK-74 with a Nodak Spud receiver, and black furniture. I have not seen it in person but its still in the box from Centerfiresystems a few years back. Do you guys think it would be a solid trade if I offered my Norinco SKS-M? Just figured I'd ask for some opinions before I mentioned it. Still not sure either way, I really like the SKS-M.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd be cautious. Century Arms built a good amount of 74's a few years ago that had improper barrels. Rounds would keyhole like no other. They have since cleared that issue up, but if this rifle is a few years old as you say and hasn't been test fired for key holing... I would be leery.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    think you would still be paying out of pocket for the 74 .... your confusing me though nodak spud and century the two dont mix.... never heard century ever using a nodak receiver normal they use what ever is cheapest at the time

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    think you would still be paying out of pocket for the 74 .... your confusing me though nodak spud and century the two dont mix.... never heard century ever using a nodak receiver normal they use what ever is cheapest at the time

Hmm, I asked him the other day if it was the Nodak Spud and he said he thought it was. I've yet to look at it in person though. I believe it was bought in 2010 when they ran the $369 special on them.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I'd be cautious. Century Arms built a good amount of 74's a few years ago that had improper barrels. Rounds would keyhole like no other. They have since cleared that issue up, but if this rifle is a few years old as you say and hasn't been test fired for key holing... I would be leery.

I've read that online recently about the keyhole issue. I would be able to shoot it before making any final decisions, so its something I could check for. Anything special to look for on the barrel itself?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I did do some digging and they did do a limited number of bulg builds they all where on nds receivers ... However they where built in the time keyholeing was a problem so your gonna need to check that barrel (bullet test) basicly just remove the muzzle break then place the bullet tip in the barrel it should not hit the neck of the case if it does its a bad barrel.... my bulg ak74 is TGI built ak74 (people dont like TGI ether) but mind is fine i love the rifle its on a NDS as well

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    If that AK74 is a good gun you will love it, and it is cheap to shoot.
    Good Luck! :yesway:
    For your bullet check this is on a Mosin but it will give you the idea!
    You want it to look like this;
    dwoymw.jpg

Not like this;
    oiajow.jpg

Again, Good Luck!

Last edited:

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Thanks for the info and pics guys! Other than checking the barrel for keyhole issue, is there anything else in particular to look for on these rifles? And I'm not sure if he'll be into trading or not, but any opinions on what the AK-74 might be worth dollar wise?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    If that AK74 is a good gun you will love it, and it is cheap to shoot.
    Good Luck! :yesway:
    For your bullet check this is on a Mosin but it will give you the idea!
    You want it to look like this;
    dwoymw.jpg

Not like this;
    oiajow.jpg

Again, Good Luck!

The bullet test is a useless test, espically on a Mosin Nagant since a large number of them where counter-bored to clean up damaged rifling at the muzzle. Counter-boring isn't a bad thing since it usually improves a rifles accuracy. I have over 70 MN's of which better than a 1/3 are CB'ed and they shoot everybit as good as the ones that haven't been counter-bored.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Hmm, I asked him the other day if it was the Nodak Spud and he said he thought it was. I've yet to look at it in person though. I believe it was bought in 2010 when they ran the $369 special on them.
    I have the same 74. Runs fine. Bought in2010 from centerfire at that price with 3 mags

czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    Another thing to check is if the front sight post is canted. I believe Century had some with those issues as well. I bought one a few years ago and lucked out. No keyholing or other issues. I love mine. I was just thinking today how I should have bought two at the time...:)

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    I own two Bulgarian '74s, one with plum furniture and one with a side folding triangle stock, neither of them are from Century. My main gripe with the Century '74 is the lack of a chrome lined barrel. I would keep the SKS-M

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville

AK 74 Agree on the chrome lined barrel... is big if using cheap army surplus ammo

I own two Bulgarian '74s, one with plum furniture and one with a side folding triangle stock, neither of them are from Century. My main gripe with the Century '74 is the lack of a chrome lined barrel. I would keep the SKS-M

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Honestly i'd keep the M as they are going up in value. You can buy a 74 from anywhere. In a few years your M will be worth much more.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Honestly i'd keep the M as they are going up in value. You can buy a 74 from anywhere. In a few years your M will be worth much more.

I've kind of been feeling this. One reason I'm attached to it is because it was a local gun shop find for a heck of a deal. I plan on looking at the 74, but thinking will probably go the cash route. Any opinions on what the 74 might be worth? And thanks for all the advice on what to look for guys!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I've kind of been feeling this. One reason I'm attached to it is because it was a local gun shop find for a heck of a deal. I plan on looking at the 74, but thinking will probably go the cash route. Any opinions on what the 74 might be worth? And thanks for all the advice on what to look for guys!

A Bulgarian CAI build? $450. Maybe $500 if someone wanted it bad enough.

Top Bottom