• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Setting aside the necessity of buying other preps, it just isn't practical for most people to store all their money in guns/ammo/food. Assuming you have all you can handle of the 'bullets/beans/bandaids' you have to store your 'money' in some form. I would argue that gold or silver (or anything tangible) is going to be worth far more than paper currency. Also keep in mind you can only bug out with so much stuff... So the question becomes, what to store? I would say some of it all. Junk silver is realatively cheap and not cost efficent to counterfit. Bullion... I would only buy 'known' rounds such as silver eagles and Maples, Canadian maples especially because of the lower cost vs eagles. 10 ounce bars are nice and cost effective but, not going to be as easily divisible or recognized. Gold is great for it's compactness. With gold I would only buy Eagles, Maples or krugerands. Thats it. Gold is much more likely (and has/is) to be counterfitted. Keep in mind not everyone knows about gold/silver.... but IMO gold or silver under your bed is a much safer bet than in the bank or stock market. Precious metals have a place in your survival plan, even if you never expect TSTHTF.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Preying on the weak will not feed anyones family. Now picking on the stronger will provide challenge and reward.

Silver or gold should be a small part of your preps, but I would not sacrifice food or ammo if resources are limited

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Setting aside the necessity of buying other preps, it just isn't practical for most people to store all their money in guns/ammo/food. Assuming you have all you can handle of the 'bullets/beans/bandaids' you have to store your 'money' in some form. I would argue that gold or silver (or anything tangible) is going to be worth far more than paper currency. Also keep in mind you can only bug out with so much stuff... So the question becomes, what to store? I would say some of it all. Junk silver is realatively cheap and not cost efficent to counterfit. Bullion... I would only buy 'known' rounds such as silver eagles and Maples, Canadian maples especially because of the lower cost vs eagles. 10 ounce bars are nice and cost effective but, not going to be as easily divisible or recognized. Gold is great for it's compactness. With gold I would only buy Eagles, Maples or krugerands. Thats it. Gold is much more likely (and has/is) to be counterfitted. Keep in mind not everyone knows about gold/silver.... but IMO gold or silver under your bed is a much safer bet than in the bank or stock market. Precious metals have a place in your survival plan, even if you never expect TSTHTF.

Exactly, it's largely about priorities. If you want to preserve the $100k you have today, and even be able to put it in your SUV when you bug out, it's hard to beat gold. Also, SHTF may not be a sudden event. If we head into a long decline, and the government devalues the dollar by 10% every few years, gold and silver will appreciate inversely.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    and: the benefit of having people like you indiana_dave and Carmel is the fact that all i will have to do is wait and you will eventually bite it and i can just have your food and gear. yes ive been trained to live on the land in any environment and survive long term, but there is a big difference in a disaster situation with a wife and kids too. i hope it never happens, i hope we are all wrong, but me being the only one honest about what might have to happen to live doesnt make me a bad guy. you think there wont be gangs?? you think church groups wont stick together?? auto club guys wont stick together?? INGO wont stick together??? that is a form of gang, and thats what i meant. maybe i should have said groups instead of gang, so maybe it would have slid easier in your ears, but its the same thing. there will be groups that will forage, fight, live, and die together. thats what i meant. so you can bash me all you want but at least im being smart and honest, just like i am in todays life, and i dont care and never will care what people think of me. political correctness is for dummies.

Thunderdome called, they want their lunatic back.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    it might sound un human, but i will live on what i have stored until it gets close to low, and then i will take whatever i need from whoever is weaker from that point on.

Yeah it does sound kind of un-human. We post stories on INGO constantly about good people defending themselves from punk thieves like yourself. You will make a nice journal-entry for somebody who takes you out while you are trying to steal food off of THEIR family's plates.

then their will be the "moral crowd" and those will be the ones just like the guy above who quoted the 10 commandments . wahahahahahaahahaha, yeah see if those work in an apocoliptic society. thats just a good laugh. i try to follow those now too, but if you think those will keep you alive when SHTF, you will either learn to adapt your way of thinking oe you will die too.

Well mock God all you want. They say Hell only feels like an eternity...

well uncle sam did a lot of testing on me and exams and i sat in front of many a shrink and they all gave me a clean bill of health the whole time i was in the military and before i got out, and i still thought the same way i do now. so maybe im not the one whos nuts here doc. ????? and with my current job i have government security clearance, so obviously im not a criminal now either.

Hahahahahahahaha...... So since you get paid with taxpayer dollars, that means that you are not crazy? Nobody in the Government can be a criminal? Obviously? Have you read the news lately?? :n00b:

Yep... E5RANGER375 is the kind of guy that the rest of us are gearing up to fend off. Better choose your victims carefully. :ar15:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ramboner i think you are missing the WHOLE bigger picture thats painted

here's the picture you're painting:

Waterworld3.gif

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    well uncle sam did a lot of testing on me and exams and i sat in front of many a shrink and they all gave me a clean bill of health the whole time i was in the military and before i got out, and i still thought the same way i do now. so maybe im not the one whos nuts here doc. ????? and with my current job i have government security clearance, so obviously im not a criminal now either. buddy im just trying to be honest and help some people realize how bad its gonna be. i dont wanna hurt anybody ever again if i dont have to.

also, maybe you need to turn up your bell tones, im saying that i hope i dont have to do it and if i do it will be a last resort. in a perfect world we would all build a big fort and live together happy as one. but i dont think that will happen.

It is the "strong" deciding that the ends justify the means that will fulfill this scenario.

I believe that as many of your like mindset resort to these final options there will be a group of equally determined and well trained people that will band together to lead people in a better direction than preying on the weak.

Perhaps someday you yourself might be called to lead and will forgoe the animal instinct and decide that survival of the most rutheless isn't necessarily the best for the world we leave our children and their descendants.

I agree that most of the sheep will die, however I truly believe that most will die from stupidity of actions by their own lack of adaptation or at the hands of the predator scum that currently stain our cities in gangs.

If you properly prepare and defend and manage to survive that first year I venture your time in the following years will be spent surviving the most ruthless of gangs that have had the year to hone their skills against those weak and ill prepared.

The final solution will not be robbing from the weaker and less fortunate because the true scum of the earth will have already picked that carcass clean and now you will be faced with the just cause and fight of eliminating that vermin which have made the choice to place a higher value on their life and comfort. A very good battle worth fighting for IMHO.

The truly evil leaders like Hitler are far outnumbered by the fair and just leaders of our past. Regardless of the failings of our politicians and leaders we are still a nation of people with a strong conviction of right and wrong when it comes to Good vs. Evil in a life struggle. There will always be a group of white hats or sheep dogs who will strive for justice and the protection of the good in this world.

Claiming that you will change from sheep dog to wolf is a sign of the despair you have witnessed. Based on your experience, training and past experiences I will wager that your honor will not be so easily discarded and your dying breath will be taken not during a raid against the downtrodden but instead in the preservation of a way of life hard fought and passed on to your family.

People who have strong moral character and belief system or code will find a better way or die trying. This is why even though or prisons are full the lawless among us are still by far the minority.:twocents:

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I started looking into this a few months ago. I agree that it is not the most important thing to have. Obviously, if you have everything you need for ever, you dont need gold or silver. However, if you find yourself needing important meds for instance, silver or gold is something that I want to have on hand. Its small and compact.If I need to bribe a cop or bad guy for instance, I can pull a ingot out of my pocket pretty easy. I have been buying silver. Gold is too high 1200 an oz. If SHTF, it will probly go up 10 times. So a oz ingot will be worth 12,000 dollars, that too big of a denomination. I have been buying silver coins or ingots that specifiaclly say on them 1 troy oz of pure .999 silver. then everybody know what it is. I have been buying them on ebay that ship to my door for 17 to 22 dollars with shipping. Yes you can find it cheaper. But thats just handy.
    Pritorities: Food, water, shelter, generator, guns, ammo, meds, skills to survive ie gardening, canning, hunting, fishing, carpenter skills, self defense, bug out bag, silver.
    You can also get creative and have gotten lots of ideas on here. For trading, think of the value of five gallon buckets filled with packs of cigerettes and half pints of everclear. A SHTF situation would be a bad time to quit smoking and drinking Ha!!!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I see reasons to have some pm around but am not concerned with them. As long as I have all other bases covered, I don't need them. A few extra bullets can be "traded" for far more than a handful of coins, and before you flame me, I don't care. In a SHTF scenario it's me and mine above all else.
    Originally Posted by rhart
    You can also get creative and have gotten lots of ideas on here. For trading, think of the value of five gallon buckets filled with packs of cigerettes and half pints of everclear. A SHTF situation would be a bad time to quit smoking and drinking Ha!!!
    Forget packs, buy 1 pound bags for about $20, way more for the money. I have about a dozen full pints of everclear and have started buying 1.75s of cheap vodka for about $10 each. When the cards are down the brands are far less important than the actual goods. Nobody will turn down loose tobacco and cheap liquor for the alternative of nothing.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    thanks for being honest and RIGHT ON!!! i was honest and called a pre-murderer and bla bla bla. me and mine are number 1 now and forever as long as im alive to breath

It's not a matter of honesty. It's a matter of dignity. Some of us want to believe that we won't turn ourselves and our children into thieving, murdering scumbags when hard times arrive. No matter what. That's part of the reason why we want to be prepared.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It's not a matter of honesty. It's a matter of dignity. Some of us want to believe that we won't turn ourselves and our children into thieving, murdering scumbags when hard times arrive. No matter what. That's part of the reason why we want to be prepared.

Correct, and the worthless psychopathic trash are those who anticipate their murder and theft spree, all too eagerly. I don't know where the scum get their ideas that there will be only widows and orphan children to slaughter for huge caches of gear and food. I predict if it ever comes, they won't make it past their first try at this.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Hopefully early on , unprepared armed takers will hit the folks that plan on being armed takers after their supplies run out.... I understand the survival at all cost mentality, but there's a better way to make that point. Telling folks they are gonna be preyed upon by you because you and yours are gonna survive no matter what, as long as you're "alive to breathe" isn't it, man.
    Having that drive is important and will probably keep you and yours alive but espousing it now does nothing but make folks worry about your stability and ability to be a productive part of a group. I'd never let you into any group I was a part of after reading your posts.

Top Bottom