• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remnut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I recently sold a Sigma 40 due to the fact that at 20 feet I was doing good to hit a barn with it but at about 80 or 90 feet I could cause great harm to a pop can. Has anyone else had similar issues with this or am I just a better shot at a distant target?:dunno:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I recently sold a Sigma 40 due to the fact that at 20 feet I was doing good to hit a barn with it but at about 80 or 90 feet I could cause great harm to a pop can. Has anyone else had similar issues with this or am I just a better shot at a distant target?:dunno:

I have not had a similar experience, but we no longer carry the Sigma in inventory for several reasons:

First of all they are even more unforgiving than a 1911 when it comes to poor grip, so they tend to malfunction quite a bit. We let our students try a variety of handguns, and have left the Sigma in the lineup as a "you get what you pay for" example. It's too bad because while everyone has the right to protect themselves, not everyone can go out and spend $500 or more on a handgun. The Sigma looked like it was going to cover the lower end gap nicely, but it's a bit TOO lower end, thus unreliable.

The trigger pull weight is horrendous and some students can't even fire the gun! This also leads to accuracy problems that are more pronounced in new shooters.

Oddly enough we get at least one shooter per class who just loves the gun! That shows there really is something for everyone out there.

We see plenty of FTE's and the slide not locking back on the last round. If they could "tweak" it just a little to get the reliability up a bit we may stock them again.:twocents:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Are the new SD40s an improvement, or more of the same?

Personally, I still stand by the Bersa as the best low price handgun on the market :D
    The only reason I dont carry it anymore, is that I wanted to get away from a manual safety.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Funny... I was really accurate with the SW9ve, and it had no malfunctions. I have no dislike for the trigger, but I am more used to da/sa revolvers too, so the long and hard trigger pull isn't bothersome. I am not as accurate with my 40ve, but that might just be me, as it is newer to me and it is my only .40.

From what I've read / heard, the SD trigger is much improved (shorter, smoother, close to the M&P.) And they've added a night-sight on front post too. I need to check one out - it is on my short list! (I actully like manual safeties, so I'm also looking at the Rugers and Tauruses.)

---
    GB!

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    From what I've read / heard, the SD trigger is much improved (shorter, smoother, close to the M&P.) And they've added a night-sight on front post too. I need to check one out - it is on my short list! (I actully like manual safeties, so I'm also looking at the Rugers and Tauruses.)
    ---
    GB!

Price wise the SD is in line with the Ruger SR9C. I'd like to try one and may order one next week to try in a class. If it's reliable I may add it to the lineup and offer it in the shop.

remnut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I replaced the Sigma with a Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40 cal. and just cant say enough about the gun.It shoots just as good at 80 feet as it does at 10 feet. Thanks for all of the replies.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I always doubted the replacement striker-spring fix, but it was worth the $3.50 to try it, since I don't carry it anymore and it is easily undone. I ran five mags of various ammo through mine today with zero failures or light primer strikes. Had no problem punching the center out of paper plate.

Is it a Glock or an M&P? Hell no. Has it been highly accurate and rock solid reliable, with zero failures for me? Yep.

This really is the first I've heard of the Sigma's tendency for grip related malfunctions. I'd be interested to hear more.

caserace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    I've had zero issues with mine. Can hit an index card 60% at 7 yards. Assuming it was me, rather than the gun.

Noble

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Although i will not dispute that the trigger is crummy, the newer SW40VE's are accurate with practice. The only issue I've ever had with mine was with a change to Wolf Springs in which the gun almost became a range baseball.

Top Bottom