• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I've been debating turning in my Sig 229 for a sig 229 SSE 40 (stainless steel elite?)

Anyways, supposedly its a stainless "finish" frame. what does that mean, if its finnished in "natural stainless" ? does that mean its a steel frame with a stainless plating? or is it an alloy frame with a stainless paintjob? Please help me out here, If the guns frame is 100% stainless steel, I would assume that its frame rails would wear slower, and the gun will be much heavier. but if its just a finish, the frames will wear just as fast.. Someone chime in here, I need to know if its worth the extra 200 or more bucks. The beaver tail is not that big of an issue for me, but the SRT, and the weight are a plus for me.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I put in a bid on a .40 elite stainless two days ago, started at 729. I put an 800 dollar max bit, just checked on it, the winner paid 1000 dollars. for a used one, from a pawn shop selling online. Who takes a gun in such demand to a pawn shop?

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Most companies im sure including sig use a 400 series stainless. The 300 SS is to soft and wont hold up to the stress, wear, and heat firearms go through. Most of compounds are within the 400ss some of them I beleive are even able to be heat treated somewhat like high carbon steels. I have found when machining on metals in guns that they are not hard just tough, because to much shock going on and hard equals brittle. So what I am getting at is that I beleive stainless will last quite a bit longer not to mention no rust issues.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    As mentioned, it is all stainless. That gun will have more heft and less recoil. It will stand up to the elements and be less prone to wear or rust. It's all what you want out of it. Even the regular (newer) sigs have a stainless slide (with their nitron finish), so you are really paying for the frame which is an aluminum alloy on the regular sigs.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    For what it's worth, I'm heard people say the all stainless weight of the p229 SSE tames the .40 recoil that some call a bit "snappy". I don't find the recoil with the alloy frame P229 to be distracting, but it is more noticeable than with my S&W 4006 (also full stainless, not to mention larger framed). Wish I had the stainless P229 to give you a first hand opinion! I guess the trade off would be extra weight in your carry gun vs. possibly easier second shot acquisition, and maybe more comfortable long sessions at the range.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    1. Those guns MAP just went up to 1350 from 1150.
    2. Sig is not releasing many stainless frames with any kind of regularity.
    3. Try and find one of these guns at a gun show. They are impossible to find, so the price goes up.

ejevans45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Porter County
    I own a Stainless P229R Elite and I believe it is more comfortable to shoot than the standard model. It is a bit heavier than the standard model that I used to have but I have no problem carrying it every day. You get used to the heft. I shoot probably 200-300 rounds out of the thing every month and the weight is worth it.

Top Bottom