• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    I am wanting to buy a new 22lr auto pistol and am really attracted to the looks of the Sig Sauer Mosquito. Does anyone have this gun and have a valuable opinion or review of the gun? How does it do with different types of bulk ammo?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've only ever fired one Mosquito and I hated it. The trigger pull was WAY too heavy for a .22, IMHO.

My suggestion would be to look at a Walter P22 or a Ruger MkII/III unless you have a specific reason for wanting the Sig.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    If you're considering another Sig, like the 220, 226, or 229, the Mosquito has the advantage of having identical controls to those larger pistols.

That said. It's not as nice as the Walther P22, S&W 22A, Browning Buckmark, or Ruger Mk.III .22lr pistols.

If you're using it to develop gun handling skills that will translate to carrying the larger cousins the Mosquito has a place. Otherwise the above mentioned pistols are superior in most ways.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    guy at the range today was shooting one. Seemed to average around 2 FTE or some kind of FTF on EVERY magazine. Thats 20% failure rate, and seems pretty poor to me.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    As Lars alluded to above, we bought my Mosquito because I wanted a .22 that best translated to its bigger cousins, and this one does. The two most notable differences (to a novice shooter anyway) between Mosquito and the 226 are the caliber and safety switch.

Mine only feeds CCI Stingers reliably. It will feed bulk ammo if I only load 9 in the mag. It only regularly fails on the 2nd round, and only if I load it up with 10. The Stingers will feed semi-reliably. Only a FTF every 30 or 40 rounds. (The 226, oth, only failed when I told it to; ie, when using dummy rounds).

I will give it this: it makes you really good at dealing with minor malfunctions. :D

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    There is always the option of a .22 upper for a 226 handgun if you want to go sig. I haven't heard the reviews on this either. You do have to use a new production 226 however.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I have one and specifically bought it for the training reasons listed above (reference I also own a 228 and 226). Have never had a FTF/FTE in close to 300 rounds, but I abided by the advice given by Sig and others who only use the CCI .22 ammo. I also am anal about cleaning my weapons.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I have one and specifically bought it for the training reasons listed above (reference I also own a 228 and 226). Have never had a FTF/FTE in close to 300 rounds, but I abided by the advice given by Sig and others who only use the CCI .22 ammo. I also am anal about cleaning my weapons.
    Just out of curiosity, what advice are you following? Mine gets cleaned every time it gets home from the range if I shot it, which is to say about every 100-200 rounds.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    If you wade through all the stories about the Mosquito, throw out the ones that say 'I know a guy whose brother's cousin had one for twenty minutes and had 90% FTF's and FTE's', and stick with the posts from folks who actually have them, you'll still find about any story you want to believe. Yes, the Mosquito has a pretty heavy, gravelly trigger. Yes, it's just like most any other .22LR handgun in that it's performance seems to be ammo specific. Sig even recognizes this, and says you should break the gun in with CCI MiniMags, and even gives you a coupon for $10 off to get you started. It says keep the gun clean and well lubed. The early ones seem to have had more problems than the current ones. I have one that is about six months old, and has many, many rounds of CCI MiniMag put through it. I have NEVER had a FTF or FTE. I got it to shoot cheaper ammo than my M&P9 and P220 with similar functionality. It's not as accurate as the dedicated target .22LR's like the Rugers, but it's just fine for punching paper. It's just plain fun to shoot. I did a trigger polish job on it using the procedure outlined by some Mosquito owners over on the Sig forum. Took about an hour to complete and it took pretty much all of the gravelly feel out of the trigger. I didn't do too much metal removal, so it didn't reduce the trigger pull by much, but I wasn't looking to do that anyway. It's still a little heavy, but quite manageable. Overall, if you want something that looks, feels, and shoots like your big-boy Sigs, the skeeter is just what you're looking for. If you want a dedicated .22LR match shooter, look somewhere else.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    How does the Mosquito feed with sub sonics?
    The Mosquito (at least when I bought mine) comes with two recoil springs to match with the type of ammo you are shooting. From the Owners Manual:

The .22 LR ammunition spectrum ranges from
    very light loads for single loader guns to sport
    load, utility load and on through to high speed
    rounds. Unfortunately, however, it is not possible
    to adjust a semi-automatic gun to all loads.
    We have therefore decided to make an adjustment
    to the loads that have priority for use with the
    MOSQUITO, which are the two major groups,
    utility and high-speed rounds. So to increase the
    round compatibility, we provide two slide springs
    for every pistol. The bigger bored version is
    designed for high-speed loads and is fitted in the
    pistol with delivery. The simple coiled smaller
    spring (marked white) is for standard loads and is
    supplied with the pistol.
    Tip:
    It has been proven that many types of utility
    rounds function more smoothly if the rounds are
    lightly oiled.

I have not personally tried the sub-sonic rounds so I don't have a first hand reference. My recollection is that folks have better luck with the high velocity rounds.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I broke mine in with the CCI as recommended in the manual, and now can shoot pretty much anything in it, although CCI and Remington remain the most reliable with near 100% dependability.

It's a fun and cheap gun to shoot; everyone in the family enjoys it, even though it's one of the early model numbers that are supposed to have been so plagued with problems. I guess I got a fluke good one out of that batch! I do clean it after every session, and keep it lubed. It seems happy so I'm happy!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    The Mosquito (at least when I bought mine) comes with two recoil springs to match with the type of ammo you are shooting. From the Owners Manual:

The .22 LR ammunition spectrum ranges from
    very light loads for single loader guns to sport
    load, utility load and on through to high speed
    rounds. Unfortunately, however, it is not possible
    to adjust a semi-automatic gun to all loads.
    We have therefore decided to make an adjustment
    to the loads that have priority for use with the
    MOSQUITO, which are the two major groups,
    utility and high-speed rounds. So to increase the
    round compatibility, we provide two slide springs
    for every pistol. The bigger bored version is
    designed for high-speed loads and is fitted in the
    pistol with delivery. The simple coiled smaller
    spring (marked white) is for standard loads and is
    supplied with the pistol.
    Tip:
    It has been proven that many types of utility
    rounds function more smoothly if the rounds are
    lightly oiled.

I have not personally tried the sub-sonic rounds so I don't have a first hand reference. My recollection is that folks have better luck with the high velocity rounds.

WEEEELLLLL, I just sold my P22 so I could buy a Mosquito. Bad choice? I just thought my can would look cooler on a Sig. I had no problems with sub sonics in the P22. If the Mosquitos are sort of sucky, I'll just get another P22.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    WEEEELLLLL, I just sold my P22 so I could buy a Mosquito. Bad choice? I just thought my can would look cooler on a Sig. I had no problems with sub sonics in the P22. If the Mosquitos are sort of sucky, I'll just get another P22.

Pop over to the Sig forum and ask about the sub-sonic rounds there. I'm sure there are going to be folks using them. They'll be able to give you a much better answer than I can. Mississippi Dave and Wrangler seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the Mosquito.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is second had. My brother is the owner of one. I have shot it a few times and the trigger does suck. I was only able to shoot mini mags at the time and it worked good up until about 100 rounds then it starts to jam.

Since then he has shot the federal bulk stuff without that many issues.

The other down side is it only came with one mag and the extra one was 40 bucks.

Top Bottom