SHTF Start Up prep buget-What would you buy with $500.00?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    A fire and a garbage can works fine.

Be prepared to replace the blocks, they crack and break with the heat. Fire brick would be a better choice.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A fire and a garbage can works fine.

Be prepared to replace the blocks, they crack and break with the heat. Fire brick would be a better choice.
    Built one a couple of decades ago when I lived in Texas...

Used a double row of Fire Bricks I was given, then back filled around those on the outside with Dirt. Man that thing was awesome...

I even got the Bricks for free. Well minus the sweat to tear out the Fireplaces anyway...

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I'm guessing you have a gun or two. Get bulk foods and water. 15 or 55 gallon blue/ food grade drums. 50lb sacks of rice and then store them in smaller containers. Then build from that. The other ideas are also good in this post.

Also, make sure you have a can opener stash.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm guessing you have a gun or two. Get bulk foods and water. 15 or 55 gallon blue/ food grade drums. 50lb sacks of rice and then store them in smaller containers. Then build from that. The other ideas are also good in this post.

Also, make sure you have a can opener stash.
    Thanks!

I thought my Lottery Ticket Suggestion was a pretty good one too... :popcorn:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    i can see the point of storing rice and beans. But wouldn't it be better to grow your own food?

I mean, store some food. But also grow your own.....dehydrate it, store it, etc, etc.?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i can see the point of storing rice and beans. But wouldn't it be better to grow your own food?

I mean, store some food. But also grow your own.....dehydrate it, store it, etc, etc.?

Sure, that's a great idea. What have you grown yourself and stored?

SHTF tomorrow you ready to live off all your self grown food?

Most of us are not self sufficient, but many of us practice the skills that would enable us to be.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Bottled Spring Water and lot's of it. Buy a few cases (or more) every week until you think you have a 30 day supply minimum. This should be rationed for drinking and cooking only in the event your well (electricity) is an issue or if the municipal water supply is off, contaminated, etc.

Powdered Milk. A big box goes a long way.

Meat based Protein. Canned meat, sardines, canned fish, etc.

Fiber bars, like the chewy kind or whatever fiber you can introduce to a diet that will go down hill fast. Too much protein is like too much cheese. Clogs things up.

Food, water, shelter. Nothing new there.

Back up heat source is another factor.

Stock up on on some long burning candles and a deck of cards.

A crank/solar powered radio like one from Radio Slack or this one. Shortwave will come in handy if it's a global problem.

Kaito Voyager Solar Dynamo Weather Radio, Electronics, Kaito at Sportsman's Guide

In the course of a month, you can acquire these things within your budget and still have money left over.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yes I could, but I bet I get tired of eating Soybeans real quick... :popcorn::):

Yeah I know you could. But trading would get you all you need.

Me I have to rely on the months of stored food till spring when I can expand the garden. But every thing I need I have practiced foodwise that is.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    TVP :noway:
    Tofu :noway:
    Soy Sauce, I may have to learn to make that one...

Edamame, unfortunately I can not make that with the Beans that I have. :(

Aw hell. I take it the edamame variety is larger? Seems all the green soy beans I have tried are small but prolific.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Aw hell. I take it the edamame variety is larger? Seems all the green soy beans I have tried are small but prolific.
    Edamame is the Immature Soybean still in the Pod. I would have to harvest the pods in like, mid to late July. The Beans that Farmers harvest here are at full maturity, at around 7 - 10% moisture. Sorry... :dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Great website. I glanced at the 10-22 article off to the side of it and realized my brother in law's 10-22 needs some upgraded parts.

You've been given a lot of good information here, but one thing I didn't see was a sprouting kit. There's a pretty big time lag between waiting for a full garden to come in from scratch, and during that time you'll be chowing down on your canned & boxed types of foods. Spouts can be ready to eat in three days. They're delicious and take little to no effort at all, but the catch is that you'd need a lot of them. I'm not an expert and I'm still learning, but there are some you can grow to use for medical purposes too. Look into spouts and you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    All this stuff is great till some one takes it away. You can still find a good used shot
    -gun for $150 or less. Then go for the beans an rice and some way to boil water. There's
    plenty of water in Indiana and shelter too. A clever person can find things to improvise most of the rest...

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I try to visualize a 72 hr SHTF. Water, food, shelter, coms(cell phone or radio or both), Back up heat source(Ice storm preps) lighting, then keep vehicles fueled, snow blower ready, 2 snow shovels, small generator. Firearms, fire extinguisher, CO/Fire Smoke detector(batteries), kids games. You can go real basic and build up as a lot of posters have said above. Get going now! Ask Santa to loosen up a little and not buy GPS for everyone! (get a compass and learn to read a map?)

Top Bottom