• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    When I got my dogs I took on a responsibility for a life. That responsibility doesn't end just because things get difficult. Would my dogs be a net benefit or net liability in a SHTF situation. Don't know. Would probably depend a lot on what the actual "SHTF" situation was. I do know that they'd be more of a benefit or less of a liability than my daughter would be (she's five). Anyone want to try to argue that I should leave my daughter behind? Anyone want to try it to my face?

When it comes to my dogs, same thing. It may come down to having to chose between my daughter or my dog, in which case it will be no question--but it won't be until after I've done my level best to figure out a way to save both of them.

Some years back a class I was in took one of those "no right answers" "tests." In this one folk were divided into groups, given a list of people and told that they had to choose who would go into a lifeboat that would only hold some fraction of those people. The group was then to decide who to save. While others in my group were arguing about whether this person or that person was more "worthy" I was asking about some of the "irrelevant" details of the situation. By the time the rest of the group's arguments were getting heated, I'd turned those "irrelevant" details into a way to save everybody (core of that was something I learned from my stepfather's old Bluejacket's Manual--that a lifeboat can support twice as many people hanging off the side in the water as its rated capacity, and that's in addition to the people sitting inside).

You may not always be able to save everybody (or everybody you want to save) but if you start from that assumption you'll be sure you can't because you'll never look for one.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    My little border terrier Annie would definitely go. Given the opportunity she could fend for herself, provide an early warning system, companionship, doesn't eat much and a great heat source. Besides all that, I prefer her company to most of the humans I know. :D

Last edited:

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would take her, and if things got bad decide what to do at that time. She hardly ever barks, so I don't see her scaring off game or doing any other behaviors that would make her unwelcome. Besides, my girls wouldn't let me leave her behind.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    My dog would absolutely go. For those of you that say "no, it would be a hinderance" or "no, it might run off" ....sounds like you need new dogs! (Or significant training for your dogs!) ;)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Absolutely my dogs go. I have 3, 2 of which are protection trained. They exist to take the first bullet. In almost any SHTF scenerio I can think of they have value.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Mine is a little too domesticated, however I totally see the need for one.

mad-max-4.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    From The Patriots (paraquote) During the deepest years of SHTF off the grid... "The dogs scared off the wild game and welcomed trespassers without a single warning to those who worked the property....the next winter we ate the dogs".

Yep this describes my dog. Absolute worthless mutt. Only reason that I would keep it is for a meal. If I had a good dog, like my last one, then sure i could see them being an asset.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    They are family

I could not leave or get my wife to leave without our German Shepherds. They are both friendly and protective so they earn their keep.

Top Bottom