• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    I use ear protection when I shoot but not when I'm hunting. When I'm hunting, I don't know if it's the adrenaline or that I'm more focused on the animal or shot placement, etc. I would imagine that in a break-in scenario or a SHTF situation, most people wouldn't even notice the loud shots since they would be more focused on the situation at hand rather than worrying about their hearing.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    the SAW gave me a nice case of tinnitus about 20 years ago! i think i remember something about some little foamy earplugs, but it made it hard to hear the RO's commands, so out they went at the range. I've never known anyone to use them on a mission.

If that tinnitus is on your medical records, you're eligible for a 10% disability, $123.00 a month, free hearing aid, yearly blood test, and a bunch of other stuff, and it puts you in category 3 as far as benefits go. May not mean much now, but with this behind the closed door health care crap going on, it just might quality as a qualified health care plan, and save you from being forced to pay for the DumbocRats spreading the wealth around.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Tinnitus sucks! I've had the ringing in my ear now for 2 years! Wear hearing protection whenever possible, but I agree...when shtf I would have to opt out of the plugs. I would rather still be able to breathe than hear...

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I use ear protection when I shoot but not when I'm hunting. When I'm hunting, I don't know if it's the adrenaline or that I'm more focused on the animal or shot placement, etc. I would imagine that in a break-in scenario or a SHTF situation, most people wouldn't even notice the loud shots since they would be more focused on the situation at hand rather than worrying about their hearing.

Get a hold of LTC Dave Grossman's book ON COMBAT The psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace.

He goes into great detail explaining the reason why the shots dont bother you in those situations. its a great read and not one of those boring overly technical books!:patriot:

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    My father was in combat in 1970-71. He tells a story of a firefight he was in and a fellow soldier was to his right but just behind him. The muzzle of that soldier's M16 was to the right of my father's ear. My father stopped firing at the enemy and told the guy next to him to move forward. He said all he could hear was loud ringing in his ears. I always wondered why they didn't wear something to minimize the immediate damage to the ears. You would think it would be hard to hear enemy movements if you're ears are ringing and you're deaf. I guess the guys who have been in combat would know better than me though.

When I target shoot, I use the rubbery tight fitting ear buds that I use with my iPod. I've wondered if they have or are making a device that amplifies regular sound but cuts out the gun fire that takes those style ear buds. Seems like a useful product if there is such a thing.

Top Bottom