• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I got pulled over once in IL heading to the Marion VA hospital. I told the IL State Trooper that I had firearms in the vehicle as a professional courtesy. He wanted to know where they were so I told him 1 in glove box and 1 in trunk. He told me not to move at all, and he came around grabbed the one out of the glove box and told me to pop the trunk. He grabbed the other out of the trunk and took them both back to his car. I sat there nervous for about 20 min before he approached my vehicle again. He asked me if I was an LEO to which I said yes I am a Military Policeman in the Marine Corps Reserves ( IRR after my active duty time was complete). He told me to step out of the vehcile, and he explained that in IL it is an aggravated class B felony to have firearms in reach of the driver with a round in the chamber. He explained that I could easily be locked up, but that he was cutting me a break by issuing a citation for "Transporting an uncased firearm". He explained what is IL compliant and I was on my way with $200 worth of tickets..... To answer OP question, I would not take a firearm if you value your job and do not want lots of trouble. My incident occurred outside of Carmi IL, and I've been told (by my uncle in Chicago) that the Cook County LEO's will not be as forgiving.
    CPD has treated me very well in the past while carrying. Hmmm.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    ^^LOL he was a mp not civilian LEO, besides that federal law took the wind out of most big city leo's getting attitudes with off duty or out of state cops. Although I have heard stories about NY.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Thanks for the info. I looked up the transport laws in IL, and decided just to leave it at home.
    Forget about stupid IL laws that are illegal. There is this little thing called the Interstate Transportation Firearms Safe Passage Act that says you can take a gun from any place in the USA to any other place in the USA. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html
    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Last edited:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm going to the Chicago area on business... with my boss... in a company rented car, and my boss doesn't know I carry normally, and the company has a strict "no firearms" policy.

I know that I can have a firearm in the hotel at which we are staying, but my question is, should I even bother. I can't carry in IL while I'm there, and I will only be sleeping in the hotel, so I won't really be able to have the protection it offers me in IN (while in transit, at gas stations, at the ATM, etc.).

As far at the transport goes, I know to unload and secure the firearm in a compartment outside of the main area, aka the trunk, and separate the ammo. But say, we get pulled over in IL, and for whatever reason, we get searched. Legally, we are fine, but am I violating my company's firearm policy if I have it in a company rented vehicle?

Anyone have any experience with any of these issues?

I know I'm going to get people telling me to take it no matter what, always be armed, etc. but I'm looking for some honest advice as to what to do here. Thanks for the advice in advance.
    I would say unless you feel an attack, assault, intrusion, or deathly danger is imminent in your hotel, leave it in Indiana. Also, don't know if you are aware of the current economic situation in this country, but if it is against your company's policy to have a gun with you, then why would you? I know it is a right and should be a nil issue, but it is your choice to work for said company with policies. So I say leave it. If anything happens that causes you unwarranted harm, contact the NRA, GOA, CCRKBA, etc.. They all have good attorneys, and proceed to sue the hell out of the city of Chicago and Mayor Emanuel, and the council/state legislature.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Random Fact: Did you know the new IL Gov, Pat Quinn, carried only ONE county in his election? Yup, only cook county, just more proof that ****cago holds the state of IL hostage. A perfect example of how the population imbalance effects even those who wish to stay out of the mess. This is why peasants storming castles were seldom armed with more than pitchforks and torches.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Why is there any need to worry about being armed while in chicago? Thier gun laws are so strict, there cannot possibly be any danger of assault while in such a utopian city. I also recomend visiting D.C. unarmed while your at it. :sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BE CAREFUL! It is illegal to carry in Illinois, and the Chicago Police do not have a reputation for giving much leeway on this. If you got caught with a handgun (in an election year, no less...) it could get pretty ugly. I always choose to disarm when I travel to Chicago...and i always feel uneasy about it.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    You are not "fine" legally if they search you and you are carrying in Chicago. You will be arrested, lose your weapon and lose your carry license from the state of Indiana. You may even get a tune up in the process.

Other than that you're OK.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Natural rights don't end at the state border and concealed carry is called that for a reason. That said, know that choices have consequences.

I am in the statist pig regime of Chicago on a regular basis and always exercise my natural right when there. I figure that if I am in a situation where I need to use a firearm I would rather be able to do so and deal with the consequences than not be around to do so.

Exercise what you deem to be wisdom and good luck to you regardless of your choice.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Natural rights don't end at the state border and concealed carry is called that for a reason. That said, know that choices have consequences.

I am in the statist pig regime of Chicago on a regular basis and always exercise my natural right when there. I figure that if I am in a situation where I need to use a firearm I would rather be able to do so and deal with the consequences than not be around to do so.

Exercise what you deem to be wisdom and good luck to you regardless of your choice.

Is that you Josey? Man, you're a real outlaw!:draw:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

As I've pointed out to others I believe your chances of needing a firearm may be outweighed by your being involved in an accident or in some other way be incapacitated and your weapon found while being worked on by paramedics. HOWEVER, if you're going looking for Leroy Brown those chances would reverse:D

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Honest to God, I think some must not take a **** unless they are given permission by some authority.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom