• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Errkola

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Only the LEOs and Criminals are armed in Chicago. Sometimes its hard to discern the difference.

I used to travel to Wisconsin to hunt and target shoot. I must have had 5000 rounds and 35 weapons in the back of my truck. Good god what would have happened to me had the CPD caught wind. This was before I knew just how crazy things were in Chi town.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not the answer you want, but leave it at home and use good situation awareness. I have a trip to Chicago coming up and I will be following that rule as well. Both the company policy and IL rule force me to do so. Stinks.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    So, great input everyone. I appreciate it, but the trip was two months ago. I hope others can benefit from it tho. I left it at home. I was in a nice hotel and I wasn't in chicago. I was just in the area. Either way, I'm glad to know that so many of you are willing to go to jail to defend your 2nd amendment rights.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Forget about stupid IL laws that are illegal. There is this little thing called the Interstate Transportation Firearms Safe Passage Act that says you can take a gun from any place in the USA to any other place in the USA. United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

This is false. The law says that you may transport an unloaded, cased firearm from any place you can lawfully possess it to any place you may lawfully possess it as long as you are traveling. If you are traveling to Chicago, you may not lawfully possess a handgun there, so that trip would be unarmed. If you are traveling from Indiana to Iowa and driving through Illinois, and the gun is cased and unloaded, you're OK.

Admittedly, I am not as up on Illinois law as others are. I would suggest that someone transporting through there contact melensdad for more info.

BE CAREFUL! It is illegal to carry in Illinois, and the Chicago Police do not have a reputation for giving much leeway on this. If you got caught with a handgun (in an election year, no less...) it could get pretty ugly. I always choose to disarm when I travel to Chicago...and i always feel uneasy about it.

See the advice above about carry in Illinois: Contact melensdad for more info. I've heard likewise that Chicago PD is not very forgiving on this, but I also know of something called "fanny pack transport", wherein you may lawfully transport your pistol in one part of your zippered pack with a loaded mag in the other part. I'm not sure if that is still lawful there.

So, great input everyone. I appreciate it, but the trip was two months ago. I hope others can benefit from it tho. I left it at home. I was in a nice hotel and I wasn't in chicago. I was just in the area. Either way, I'm glad to know that so many of you are willing to go to jail to defend your 2nd amendment rights.

Sorry to hear you were disarmed, but glad you remained legal. It is unconscionable that our lawful and natural rights are constrained and restricted at a state line or city limit in this manner.

Blessings,
    Bill

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Thanks Bill, I didn't really feel comfortable until I got home, but I did breathe a big sigh of relief when we crossed back into Indiana.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    This is false. The law says that you may transport an unloaded, cased firearm from any place you can lawfully possess it to any place you may lawfully possess it as long as you are traveling. If you are traveling to Chicago, you may not lawfully possess a handgun there, so that trip would be unarmed. If you are traveling from Indiana to Iowa and driving through Illinois, and the gun is cased and unloaded, you're OK.

Admittedly, I am not as up on Illinois law as others are. I would suggest that someone transporting through there contact melensdad for more info.

See the advice above about carry in Illinois: Contact melensdad for more info. I've heard likewise that Chicago PD is not very forgiving on this, but I also know of something called "fanny pack transport", wherein you may lawfully transport your pistol in one part of your zippered pack with a loaded mag in the other part. I'm not sure if that is still lawful there.

Sorry to hear you were disarmed, but glad you remained legal. It is unconscionable that our lawful and natural rights are constrained and restricted at a state line or city limit in this manner.

Blessings,
    Bill

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
    on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
    (5) Sets a spring gun; or
    (6) Possesses any device or attachment of any kind
    designed, used or intended for use in silencing the report of any firearm

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person,
    upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (10) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

This is the current UUW (unlawful use of a weapon for people not familar with ILCS). If you violate this expect a class 4 FELONY to become part of your record at the MINIMUM. ILCS provides under certain circumstances of violations of the UUW to charge you with a class X felony.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    The fanny pack carry will get you arrested anywhere in IL as it does NOT meet the requirement for the gun to NOT be immediatly accessible.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The fanny pack carry will get you arrested anywhere in IL as it does NOT meet the requirement for the gun to NOT be immediatly accessible.

It doesn't need to since it meets this:

...or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,...
    Having a carry license from your home state satisfies the need for (an IL resident to possess) a FOID as well.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Yes but if you read the post I was responding to, he said:

See the advice above about carry in Illinois: Contact melensdad for more info. I've heard likewise that Chicago PD is not very forgiving on this, but I also know of something called "fanny pack transport", wherein you may lawfully transport your pistol in one part of your zippered pack with a loaded mag in the other part

Which would be a violation under UUW. You cannot have a gun in a readily accessible location. Not to mention also having a loaded mag in the same area.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
    (5) Sets a spring gun; or
    (6) Possesses any device or attachment of any kind
    designed, used or intended for use in silencing the report of any firearm

(10) Carries or possesses on or about his person,
    upon any public street, alley, or other public lands within the corporate limits of a city, village or incorporated town, except when an invitee thereon or therein, for the purpose of the display of such weapon or the lawful commerce in weapons, or except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (10) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

This is the current UUW (unlawful use of a weapon for people not familar with ILCS). If you violate this expect a class 4 FELONY to become part of your record at the MINIMUM. ILCS provides under certain circumstances of violations of the UUW to charge you with a class X felony.

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated. I would wonder at your interpretation of the underlined and bolded sections in light of the wording: "one of the following"

That is, it would seem that as long as one of the named conditions is met, the UUW law does not apply.

To be absolutely clear on this, I am not a lawyer, let alone one licensed to practice in Illinois. The letter of the law would seem to contradict your comments here. Can you clarify, please?

Blessings,
    Bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Which would be a violation under UUW. You cannot have a gun in a readily accessible location. Not to mention also having a loaded mag in the same area.

I disagree, as do the courts, but I understand that it may take further legal defenses of this lawful manner of transport/carry before citizens are truly "free" to commonly do so in most of IL.

Link to some good reading and court decisions on the subject here: Illinois Carry | Concealed Carry

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Thanks for your input, it's appreciated. I would wonder at your interpretation of the underlined and bolded sections in light of the wording: "one of the following"

That is, it would seem that as long as one of the named conditions is met, the UUW law does not apply.

To be absolutely clear on this, I am not a lawyer, let alone one licensed to practice in Illinois. The letter of the law would seem to contradict your comments here. Can you clarify, please?

Blessings,
    Bill

That was part of the UUW copied directly from IL statue. I didnt copy all of it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Check out this link http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf to an Illinois SC ruling that affirms the right of a non-resident to have an UNLOADED pistol in a closed "case" (glove compartment, center console-whether front or rear) as long as the lid is closed (it doesn't require a lock). The court also ruled that a valid carry license from the citizen's home state meets the requirement for having a FOID, which a non-resident can't legally get anyway. Unless something has changed from the Spring of 2011 when this ruling came down I will legally carry an unloaded pistol in my center console with a loaded mag (magazines aren't mentioned in Illinois code in this instance) in my pocket or door pocket. Also google up McDade vs. Illinois. Somebody please tell me where I'm going wrong.

Last edited:

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Okay, as an IL resident, here's my advice: If you wish to take a gun with you, unload and encase it and put it in the trunk.

Keep your mouth closed if you're in a traffic stop.

"Any guns, drugs or other weapons in the car?"

"Nothing illegal in the car, sir."

Decline any searches.

If you opt to carry a loaded gun as people do in IN, be advised that IL law now provides for a *mandatory* year or more in prison for carrying a loaded gun. No probation. No exceptions (supposedly).

You might think you're not going to get stopped, but if you have an accident and the ambulance paramedics find it...

The police in Chicago are generally pro-gun, but don't take a chance. Keep your trap shut and keep a low profile.

John

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'll take it one step farther. Places like Chicago, NYC, Washington, D.C., California, etc. are not going to be seeing any of my tourist dollars (yes, I realize this was a business trip) due to their anti-gun attitudes & laws.

Top Bottom