• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Other than aesthetic's what is affect of loss of gun bluing? Does it rust faster? I have a blued gun and the bluing is fading. I could care less if it fades to nothing as it really doesn't bother me, but should I be concerned about it? If i treat it like my stainless guns can expect it to be as durable or do I need to treat with more care?

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    You need to treat a blued gun with more care than a stainless gun. Stainless steal can still rust.. non stainless steel will rust faster. I am not sure how you treat your stainless guns, so i can't say.. Also depends on what you are doing? the type of environment your gun is being subjected to. The cleaning and oiling practices of your firearms.

Personally I don't like to carry a blued or parkarised gun because of the rust issues. SS for me

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    You need to treat a blued gun with more care than a stainless gun. Stainless steal can still rust.. non stainless steel will rust faster. I am not sure how you treat your stainless guns, so i can't say.. Also depends on what you are doing? the type of environment your gun is being subjected to. The cleaning and oiling practices of your firearms.

Personally I don't like to carry a blued or parkarised gun because of the rust issues. SS for me

If the guns bluing was completely removed what affect would that have on gun? I wipe down with oil'd rag at least once a week even if not shot. But I do that to all my guns. Do i need to do more?

dmax

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    There was a time when guns were left "in the white" or unblued. Many are still around in collections and museums. Bluing is a controled rusting process. Guns that have lost their bluing but have otherwise had resonable care aquire a nice patina that some think adds class. As long as a firearm is not left to rust or pit, it is not a problem. A gun with a rusted surface = issuses inside. IMHO

Top Bottom