• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm wanting another pump gun to add to the defensive arsenal. I know it's going to be a Mossberg. I'm hung up between the 590A1, 590, and 500. Whichever one I get will have XS sights and Magpul furniture and will be 9-shot.

I have fallen in love with model #51773 but they're hard to come by. It has the sights, the furniture, and the durability* that I want. The bayonet attachment is just extra cool sauce.

Model #50598 is alright, but I like the metal trigger group over the plastic one. It lacks the heavy-walled barrel, but how valuable is that?

Model #50669 is alright but I'm not sure how easy it would be to install the XS sights with the front sight being a dovetail. Again, is the heavy-walled barrel any better?

*Perceived durability based on my knowledge, which has been known to be limited.

I'll ask it again: Please help me INGO.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm wanting another pump gun to add to the defensive arsenal. I know it's going to be a Mossberg. I'm hung up between the 590A1, 590, and 500. Whichever one I get will have XS sights and Magpul furniture and will be 9-shot.

I have fallen in love with model #51773 but they're hard to come by. It has the sights, the furniture, and the durability* that I want. The bayonet attachment is just extra cool sauce.

Model #50598 is alright, but I like the metal trigger group over the plastic one. It lacks the heavy-walled barrel, but how valuable is that?

Model #50669 is alright but I'm not sure how easy it would be to install the XS sights with the front sight being a dovetail. Again, is the heavy-walled barrel any better?

*Perceived durability based on my knowledge, which has been known to be limited.

I'll ask it again: Please help me INGO.

JMHO, get the "one" used by the USMC, can't go wrong..... if it lasts, when WE use it, it's got to be good !!!!!

Marines, can BREAK anything !!!!!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    THIS ONE .....

[h=1]590A1™ Tactical[/h]
    [h=3]Selected by the U.S. armed forces after passing the rigors of the MilSpec qualification, the 590A1 is the duty weapon of choice for military and law enforcement agencies worldwide.[/h] MODELS: 21 Models / 12GA / 3″ Chamber / 18.5″ Barrel (6-Shot), 20″ Barrel (9-Shot) Models.
    FEATURES: MilSpec construction: the only pump action shotgun to pass MilSpec 3443E; Parkerized or Marinecote finishes on heavy-walled barrels; metal trigger guard and safety buttons. Select models feature tactical tri-rail forends, 6-position adjustable stocks, Picatinny top rails, and specialty sight packages.
    ins_590A1-tri-rail-forend.jpg
    Tactical Tri-Rail Forend models feature a full-length bottom rail and removable side rails for quick, easy attachment of railed accessories.
    ins_590A1-stock.jpg
    6-Position adjustable stocks provide length-of-pull adjustment of nearly four inches with relative ease without the need for additional tools.
    ins_590A1-tacticallight.jpg
    Tactical Light Forends provide 150 peak lumens with 2 hour continuous runtime, 3 modes, and ambidextrous side touch

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Ruffnek, I just purchased a 51771 from centerfireguns online for 490 shipped to my ffl.

It's the same as the 51773, but doesn't have a [strike]ported barrel[/strike], or magpul furniture. -edit- Nevermind, the magpul 51773 doesn't have a ported barrel either.

Also know, that 9 shot they mention? That's eight 2 3/4 shells in the magazine, one in the pipe.

590A1 with XS Ghost Ring Sights - 9 Shot | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

And while it doesn't show it on the website, mine came with the speed feed 4 shell stock.

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Not a Mossberg but I just love me Kel Tec KSG. Probably get bashed but has been flawless. I know some bad reviews out there, but that goes for any gun

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldnt worry about the plastic trigger group. I have 30yo 500s with plastics and they are fine. Now if you were heading into the big sandbox that would be a different story. but sitting next to the bed waiting for boogiemen it should be fine.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Gotta ask, why must it be the Mossberg? What criteria did you use to come to this conclusion?

(your gun, I'm just being nosy)

Why the Mossberg? I don't like the way that an 870 tries to remove my thumb during loading. I don't like the slide release or safety locations on an 870.

As far as criteria, I like the Magpul furniture, the XS sights, the parkerized finish, and the higher capacity. And there's just something about a bayonet attachment that tickles my insidey parts.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    590A1 is the best shotgun I own. I have the stock ghost rings on mine, Surefire forearm. 6 shell side saddle. I picked up another 590 because I got it for $239.

Never put a bayo on it. I had to saw off the lug on my A1 so the Surefire would clear it. 9 shots is hard to beat.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    The only reason I'm dead-set on the Magpul furniture is that I'd like it to match my recently built AR.

The magpul stock and forend are about 110 if you get them from budsgunshop.

Add that to the 490 I paid, and it's the same shotgun, and possibly cheaper.

It's not hard to add the furniture.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I personally have the plain-jane 590a1 with the bayo lug on it. I love the thing to death, though I havent fired mine in. Fired a friend's and loved it enough to get my own. My only complaint is the bead sight is jet black and a bit difficult to see.

Top Bottom