• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'll be going to the Indy1500 this weekend, looking for a Shotgun (among other things). I'm thinking of this as a general-purpose hunting piece.

The idea that was suggested to me is to get a shotgun with a rifled barrel for deer, and then some replacement barrels for small game. Of course, multiple shotguns would be even better but keeping costs down is an issue.

I'm hoping someone can make some suggestions on what to look for. I don't know anything about the market for shotguns--brands, models, options, etc. I've shot some before--an old 12 ga side-by-side, 16 ga. pump, and 20 ga. single shot--but I've never bought one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'll be going to the Indy1500 this weekend, looking for a Shotgun (among other things). I'm thinking of this as a general-purpose hunting piece.

I'm not a hunter, but you should be able to find a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 combo (slug & field barrels) for a reasonable price (around $400 and $300, respectively). No need to look at other makes, IMO.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    If you hurry, Fort Liberty in Avon has a 12ga 870 used in great shape for $179. Its got the 18'' smooth bore barrel. It would make you a great all purpose shotgun. You can always get different barrels for it down the road.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I would add the advice that you look for the Rem 870 Mag model. That way you get the 3 inch chamber. If you ever want to go goose hunting, you will be glad you did.

I have an Rem 1100 with a rifled deer slug barrel and another barrel with the Rem chokes. Great set up depending on how much you want to spend.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm not a hunter, but you should be able to find a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 combo (slug & field barrels) for a reasonable price (around $400 and $300, respectively). No need to look at other makes, IMO.

+1 - You can also get another shorter defensive barrel to use the same gun for home defense when not in a hunting role. Or go with a defensive version and add field barrels, to get the extra magazine capacity. You might have to use plugs to limit the capacity to hunting legal in certain situations with this setup.

scor5150pio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If you're looking for a shotgun to hunt and use for home defense you HAVE to look at the Saiga. I personally own 2 of these and there will be more in the future. (theyre all black so the wife cant tell if there are more new ones or its just the same ones shes seen before. Just so long as I don't drag them out of the cabinet all at once! ;)

The Saiga is made by Izmash. It is the factory that produces the REAL AK47. Not the romanian or chinese knockoffs! It is based on the AK platform and is absolutely( IMHO) the best shotty on the market for the money. There is NO changing barrels! It will shoot everything from birdshot to 00Buck and deer slugs! you will love this gun!
    You can check them out here Russian - American Armory Company and they are available locally at Bradis guns in camby. $400 or so.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If you're looking for a shotgun to hunt and use for home defense you HAVE to look at the Saiga.

I love my Saigas; in fact, I currently own no other type of shotgun. That said, I wouldn't recommend it for a general-purpose hunting rig like the OP was asking about. First, you can't swap barrels for different applications. Second, choke selection is limited (mod, full and rifled), and the chokes themselves are expensive and hard to find. Third, the sights suck for pretty much everything except defensive use. Finally, there are magazine restrictions for certain types of hunting, and the 2rd Saiga mags are even harder to find than the chokes...

available locally at Bradis guns in camby. $400 or so.

Available occasionally at Bradis; there's been a long dry spell b/c no guns have been coming from Russia. We finally got 3 in last week, and two were gone within 24 hours. Seems that with every shipment, the wholesale price goes up (combination of a sinking dollar and jacking by the Russians and the distributors due to increasing popularity of the platform), so the sticker price has to go up as well. Saiga-12s are running $589 now. :xmad:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The combos I've seen (i.e. the packages that come with a shot and slug barrel) are somewhat cheaper than buying a gun setup for shot or slugs and then buying an accessory barrel later. Look around and compare prices.

I have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" smoothbore barrel with rifle sights on it that does good all around duty depending on the choke tube that's installed. Longer barrels provide a longer sight plane, but not much more ballistically.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Find ya a used 870, preferably the magnum model so you can utilize 3" shells, and outfit it to fit your needs.

Here is a pic of my bird guns.
    shottys_001.jpg

I REALLY hate birds!

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What kind of hunting might you be doing?

Examples:
    Dove or pheasant have limits on mag capacity. An O/U has two barrels, so you could choke one for close and then a full choke for further shots. 12 gauge 16 or 20
    Of course, all pump and auto shotguns come with plugs for the magazine, too.

Duck/goose, 10 or 12 gauge pump or semi auto plugged would be good

For deer, you could use a pump, auto, or single shot in any gauge.

For turkey, you'd want a 12 gauge with probably a 3.5" chamber

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Well, I'm just back from the Indy1500. I went there with the express purpose of buying a Remington 870 Express Combo in 12 Ga. Turns out, however, that while I was browsing there was this gently used (as in wood in perfect condition, barrel spotless, action smooth and solid) Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and cantilever scope base that just called out my name. Add in that it was a private transaction with none of the paperwork hassles of dealer sales and, well, my offer of $215 was accepted.

And lightning struck twice. As I was walking out, someone else was walking in with a barrel, presumably for sale. He saw my Mossberg and asked if I wanted a vented rib barrel for it. Well, the barrel he had (not the one he was carrying, but one back in his car) only had one choke tube (Mod), but another $70 later and I was all set.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Sounds like you did good! I've got both Mossbergs and Remingtons and they both perform well for me. My favorite bird guns are an older Ithaca/SKB SxS 20ga and an even older Ithaca model 37 in 16 ga. Now, head to Wal-Mart and pick up a couple of bulk packs of ammo, a box of clay birds and one of the cheap plastic throwers (they really work once you get used to them) and go have some fun!

Doug K

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom