• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I will once again say I am truly sorry for what happened to you, BUT your response about responsible gun owners is the same crap the Brady bunch preaches, emotional responses. They say you are responsible for everything you own and that is horse ****. I lock my damn house when I leave it, I cannot and will not be held responsible for any scumbag that steals my stuff and uses it for nefarious purposes.

It does not matter if I lock my gun in my house, a safe, or a freaking vault, if someone is determined enough they will get what they want.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Wow, guess the Good Lord did not want you back yet. I have a gun safe and we have a nice home security system...gone about as far as I can go as far as security is concerned, but yes, one has to keep a firearms secured unless it is on your person.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Good to see your doing okay. Thank god he only shot once. This could have been much worse.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will once again say I am truly sorry for what happened to you, BUT your response about responsible gun owners is the same crap the Brady bunch preaches, emotional responses. They say you are responsible for everything you own and that is horse ****. I lock my damn house when I leave it, I cannot and will not be held responsible for any scumbag that steals my stuff and uses it for nefarious purposes.

It does not matter if I lock my gun in my house, a safe, or a freaking vault, if someone is determined enough they will get what they want.

WOW!:facepalm:
    This guy has the RIGHT to express his thoughts how ever he wants! I'm sure he has nothing in common with the Brady bunch!
    You also have the right to say what you want, but how about starting your own thread, instead of pouncing on the guy that spent the last ten months recovering from a gunshot!
    Let's see how "emotional" you are if you are ever in his shoes!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    That's a crazy story, and I think it is a "mistake" most of us have of would make. I don't know how many times I have left a gun on the night stand or table for whatever reason. I also know that my first instinct would be to enter my house, even though I know that is the wrong move. Hopefully I would have the sense to stay put, but all bets are off if you might have family inside.

Glad you came out of it, it's pretty obvious he intended to kill you, good thing he wasn't very thorough.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Certainly glad you survived that ordeal. No one will ever know what other scenarios might have played out if you had carried your truck gun in - or done any other thing. Unfortunately we don't usually get second tries. When dealing with an BG, just very lucky you survived - very evil person, obvious as he had no reason to shoot you in the back! Best case would have been if the LEO's had killed him when trying to arrest him! In my opinion some do not deserve to breathe the same air as decent people.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy:That's a crazy story, and I think it is a "mistake" most of us have of would make.

Hell no some us would not make it!

I would never enter my house unarmed if the security was known to have been compromised.

Even if my guns were in a safe, that doesn't mean the BG didn't bring one of his own.

If nobody else was home (others in danger), there really wouldn't be any reason to go in IMHO.

But if one were to think the break-in was done and the BG gone, wanting to investigate...........going in would entail being ready to blast any BG that was still there.

Glad the OP got lucky.

Last edited:

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    A neighbor contractor was shot for only having $2.00 on him when he was robbed. You can't expect mercy from the any POS that is robbing you. Period.

Last edited:

renov8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Indy
    I agree with everyone in saying "Wow."
    I hope you continue with a good recovery and have a full and happy life. Thank you for sharing your story. I have learned much from you, and have changed the OPSEC around my place.
    God bless you.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thank god you are still here. I for one am humbled by your story. Most people would not readily admit this, yet you have shared your story with the rest of us as to educate us and remind us of the importance of safety in gun ownership. Thank you and may God bless.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    First of all let me join with others here in saying I am certainly glad you are alive and healing well. It has certainly given me much thought on my awareness of everyday dangers. At 70 I tend to have my mind wondering through many things without a focus on personal safety. I hope this makes me more aware of what can happen and does happen every day.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    The big thing here is I survived! When you see the detils, you will see shat it was by God Good Grace, and skilled surgeons that I did.

May 9, 2012 I went home for lunch, to find my back door kicked in. Not thinking an intruder might still be in the house, I waltzed right in. Unarmed. My 'truck gun' still in my truck. Confronted the burgler in my dining room, and he pulled a handgun from his pants. A Glock 23 to be exact. How do I know? It was mine. I made the terrible mistake of leaving it out the night before on my armoire, and not in the safe as usual.
    The perp asked me to open my safe. (located in the basement) I responded to give me a minute so I could get the key. Obviously no key needed. He forcede me to lie on the floor, and shot me in the back from about 5-6 feet away. Then he calmly walked out the door.
    I was able to call 911, and direct the police into my home, and was rushed to Methodist Hospital, where I remained sedated for 23 days. The gunshot caused me to lose the bottom 1/3 of my left lung, and my spleen. It also nicked my pancreas and ruptured my diaphram. I am lucky to be here, I know.
    My reason to post this is to remind all of us about being careful with our guns, and about situational awareness. If you're going to respond about where I live, or other nonsense, save it. I've read it before. I want us to remember to be safe, and careful with our firearms. In todays culture, people look for any reason to go after our guns. Lets remember to secure our weapons when we aren't carrying them. Lets remember to be aware of our surroundings. When things don't seem right, guess what? They probably aren't!
    I hope you take my message to heart. I would'nt wish this to happen to anyone.

as a side note, because I know it will be asked, the P.O.S. shooter was sentanced to 50 years recently. My stolen gun was never recovered, but was replaced thanks to an e-mail alert from Bradis Guns back in August!

Given the timing of the OP having posted this one day before April Fool's Day, I was getting ready to laugh and point...

NelsonHaHa.jpg

...at everyone in this thread that got suckered in :hooked:, but decided I had better whip out my mad Google-fu skills first just to CYA, and I found this:

RTV6 - Police: Homeowner Shot After Walking In On Burglary - News Story

homeowner shot burglar: Police: Homeowner shot after finding burglar in home - wsbt.com

Assuming the OP and the subject of the news stories are indeed one and the same :eek: , glad you survived, bro! :yesway: :ingo:

Last edited:

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have developed a bad habit of leaving my EDC guns unsecured as well. After reading this story I am going to make sure it no longer happens.

Thanks for posting your story. And thank God you survived.

Top Bottom