• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Front page Herald times this morning, multiple shootings over the weekend all over bloomington. Shooter using possibly BB gun/pellet gun, 7 people injured. 4 Door silver Sedan, possibly GM model.

Be safe.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Link is here
    7 BB shootings reported: HeraldTimesOnline.com

But you know how the Heraldtimes is, its only good for 24hrs b/c they want you to pay to access their online articles...I'll copy and paste for reference.

BB shootings reported
    Drive-by incidents hurt drivers and pedestrians, damage vehicles

By Marcela Creps 331-4375 | mcreps@heraldt.com
    June 15, 2009

Bloomington police are investigating seven reports of residents being shot by pellet or BB guns around the city over the weekend.
    All the incidents were reported to Bloomington police late Saturday, with one reported early Sunday morning.
    The first report was made at 4:09 p.m. A 54-year-old woman was walking in the 1300 block of South Walnut Street. Police spoke to a witness who said he heard two pops before a woman fell to the ground and yelled that she’d been shot. A second witness also heard the pops and ran to the woman, who had blood coming from the back of her leg. One witness told police he’d seen a silver car heading south on Walnut Street at the time, but he wasn’t sure if it was related.
    The woman was taken to Bloomington Hospital, where she was treated for her injuries.
    At 4:44 p.m., a 40-year-old woman reported she was also hit by a BB gun. Police said the woman reported she was driving east on Country Club Road when she was shot in the arm from a passing car. The woman, who suffered a red mark on her forearm, said she believed the car involved may have been a small two-door car.
    The third victim called police at 8 p.m. The 28-year-old woman was walking near the intersection of First and Washington streets when a four-door, dark-colored car passed her. The woman said she saw two white males in the car before she heard a “cracking sound” and felt pain in her back. When she got home, the woman noticed she had a red mark on her back where the skin had broken. She required no medical treatment, police said.
    At 11:05 p.m., a 46-year-old man reported that he and his wife were headed west on Tapp Road near Deborah Drive when he saw a four-door silver vehicle headed east. The man told police he heard a pop, and the back window of his truck shattered.
    At 11:08 p.m., an 18-year-old man was getting gas at the Swifty gas station, 2200 W. Third St. Police said the man saw a silver, four-door car slow down before a pellet gun appeared from the passenger side of the car. The man said he heard something hit the side of his van before the car left.
    A few minutes later at 11:23 p.m., a 22-year-old man was driving west on Tapp Road near the Rail Trail parking lot when he saw a flash as he passed a car headed east. The man said he was struck on his left cheek near the jawline.
    The last report was made at 12:35 a.m. Sunday at Wal-Mart. The woman told police she was putting washer fluid in her car when she saw a silver, four-door car speed by. She said she heard a loud noise before being struck in the right thigh. The car then went behind Wal-Mart. Police recovered a small pellet found near the woman’s car.
    In four of the reports, the victims reported seeing a silver car. Lt. David Drake said video from the Wal-Mart parking lot showed a four-door, silver car that was possibly a General Motors brand.
    As for motive, Drake said there were no similarities that connected all the victims. However considering some of the victims were driving, he expressed concern that the actions of the suspect or suspects could have been more dangerous.
    “It can easily get somebody killed,” Drake said. Police would not release contact information on any of the victims. Anyone with information is asked to contact Bloomington police at 339-4477.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    :draw: If I'm fired upon by a BB gun, can I legally return fire with my 9?
    If I'm fired upon by a 9 can I return fire with my 45? I may be wrong but the way I look at it is that if your being attacked use whatever means you have to defend yourself. While the chance of serious injury or death from a bb gun may be minimal there is the chance.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Police spoke to a witness who said he heard two pops before a woman fell to the ground and yelled that she’d been shot.

I hear pops and people dropping yelling, "I've been shot!" I would break leather, run for cover and return fire if my life is at risk.

I do not plan to yell, "Was it a BB gun?"

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I hear pops and people dropping yelling, "I've been shot!" I would break leather, run for cover and return fire if my life is at risk.

I do not plan to yell, "Was it a BB gun?"

:+1:
    Well put. As usual, some idiot is 'having fun' without thinking of either the damage being done to the victims or the very real likelihood of becoming a victim himself if he chooses the "wrong" target. Isn't this pretty much how a bunch of kids got shot by LEO's years ago before the barrels of look-alike guns had to be orange?

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    :+1:
    Well put. As usual, some idiot is 'having fun' without thinking of either the damage being done to the victims or the very real likelihood of becoming a victim himself if he chooses the "wrong" target. Isn't this pretty much how a bunch of kids got shot by LEO's years ago before the barrels of look-alike guns had to be orange?

:+1: to you

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anything that fires a metal projectile at those speeds is potentially deadly force in my opinion. That includes slingshots too.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    For some clarification, based on what I read during my days as an airsofter, the kids/kid (cannot remember exactly) that were shot by the officer were in fact misbehaving and did turn towards the officer with weapon in hand. That being said, it wasn't so much that the barrel/flash hider/muzzle break wasn't painted orange, but that the boy did not handle the situation in the correct manner (drop the weapon before turning around). The only reason orange tips must be present on the guns is for importation. Once a person owns the gun, at least in most areas, he/she can remove the orange from the barrel. There is no written law requiring this feature outside of importation regulations. Also, because it is so easy to modify a real gun to have an orange tip, police are generally supposed to treat the weapon as if it is real regardless.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that the bb shooters really are taking their life into their hands, and probablly not very aware that their "prank" might result in injury or death to themselves when some one responds with lethal force.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Aside from the fact that a target can lose an eye or worse,

The media will be ranting how a kid with a BB gun was injured or killed
    by a law abiding citizen that had a permit to carry.
    The legal guy over reacted using deadly force.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Aside from the fact that a target can lose an eye or worse,

The media will be ranting how a kid with a BB gun was injured or killed
    by a law abiding citizen that had a permit to carry.
    The legal guy over reacted using deadly force.

Yeah- that's the truth... it would be so overblown

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    If someone would return fire they would learn a very important life lesson. I got my a$$ whooped when I was a kid over pointing a BB gun at someone. And rolling my eyes.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    All good points. However theres no way im going to shoot a kid for trying to hit me with a slingshot. Im not saying I wouldnt teach him the meaning of the word repect (lol) and talk to his parents, but i wouldn't feel like my life was in danger. IMHO

Alerion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Bloomington
    FWIW, a 17yo and an 18yo were arrested for these incidents this past Thursday.

It seems the 17yo couldn't resist bragging to some of his friends about his involvement.

Top Bottom