• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ever since I learned to shoot, I've always shot w/left eye closed. I've read about benefits such as better depth perception, increased peripheral vision etc., not to mention in a SHTF scenario if my dominant eye were to be compromised. Any suggestions or training tips on how to adapt/overcome this old habit?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Outside of concentrating on what you are doing, I don't know of any particular way to train your eyes. In time it will come is all I can tell you. To me it's like telling someone how to whistle. You dominate eye will prevail.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Outside of concentrating on what you are doing, I don't know of any particular way to train your eyes. In time it will come is all I can tell you. To me it's like telling someone how to whistle. You dominate eye will prevail.

So, in my case, rt handed rt eye dom, through rear sight to frt sightpost and left eye just on front sightpost?

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I try to leave both eyes open and use the sights on my glock, my eyes seem to cross and the view blurs on me. This is when I'm trying to leave both eyes open and line up the sights (either the front or the rear) on the target. I have to close my left eye to keep the blur from happening.

I get that you should leave both eyes open, but I can't do anything with the sights with both eyes open yet.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I've tried both eyes open. Doesn't seem to work very well. I can do it but i'm not as accurate.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    When I shoot right hand I close my left eye. When I shoot left hand I close my right eye. If you have problems doing this you can always try and train your eyes by placing a patch over your dominate eye and see if that helps.

standanjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    In a SHTF scenario, if your dominant eye were compromised, you would have to use your other eye to aim. Moot point.

Regarding driving, if one eye is compromised, stereo (depth perception) is compromised. You can drive, but depth perception is not 100%. Maybe 50%?

Verminator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I started out shooting with my left eye closed, but switch over to both eyes open after my dad had me try it. It just feels much better and relaxed.

As for training tips: .22's and some tin cans often constitutes my practice. Good Luck

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    In a SHTF scenario, if your dominant eye were compromised, you would have to use your other eye to aim. Moot point.

Regarding driving, if one eye is compromised, stereo (depth perception) is compromised. You can drive, but depth perception is not 100%. Maybe 50%?

LOL, how can you have 50% depth perception?

I don't think it's going to matter much if it's SHTF situation or a 5 year old's birthday party, if you dominate eye is poked out you will use your other eye. What else you gonna do? ROTFLMAO

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you have problems doing this you can always try and train your eyes by placing a patch over your dominate eye and see if that helps.

If you do the patch method, only do it for short period of time. When I was younger the patch method was used for increasing visual accuity, but my opthomologist says 100% Neg for doing that now. It teaches the open eye to work indepently and creates problems like 2x vision and such.... I'm not saying don't do... Just use caution.:twocents:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I prefer to shoot with my left eye closed (right handed) I can can still shoot almost as well with both eyes open, but don't prefer it. With my right eye closed, I suck. lol

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Try this.... spend ALOT of time behind a scope and you will find that your cross hairs will be blury and your closed eye fatigued... slowly open your non dominant eye while concentrating on looking through the scope you should be able to use the scope with the off eye open... it takes some getting used to but eventually your body will get used to it and you can do it without thinking....

also there is something called the BINDON aiming concept... to make a long story short with a 4 power reticle (acog) you can bring the gun up with both eyes open.... your dom eye sees the reticle and your non dom sees the target... your brain puts them together and you can do reflex shots with and optic... takes alot of practice and only works SO SO.... lit reticles like the eotech are prefered for this but with enough practice it somewhat gets lodged into muscle memory

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I shoot both eyes open 100% of the time. Growing up I was taught to close my non-dominant eye, but once I got back into shooting, I found that both open is more comfortable for me and give me better peripheral vision. I did lots of practice drawing and aiming and at the range. Now I do it so naturally, it's like second nature.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I have always shot both eyes open whether it be shotgun or scoped rifle.... when I was a kid I started shooting trad archery before I shot guns and I guess I just incorporated that instinctive shooting style into shooting guns.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    LOL, how can you have 50% depth perception?

I don't think it's going to matter much if it's SHTF situation or a 5 year old's birthday party, if you dominate eye is poked out you will use your other eye. What else you gonna do? ROTFLMAO

Yes, you'll have to use your other eye, no other choice. However, if you've never trained/prepared for the scenario, you become less of a threat or an easier target.:@ya:

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    both eyes open 100% far better field of vision and way easier to find the front sight in one big hurry. also one less thing to think about if things get hairy quick. been doin it that way for 30+ years. :)

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    When I have both eyes open, I see two of everything (front sight, rear sight, gun and all). I have always closed my right eye, no matter what I'm shooting, and I'm right handed. Done it that way since my very first daisy bb gun when I was 8 yrs old. I dont know why, It seems ass backwards to me. I can shut my left eye and aim with the right, it just doesn't feel natural. My right eye always just naturaly shuts when aiming and I just haven't had the determination to make myself change that. Probably not the most efficient way to aim and shoot, but no matter how weird something is, one could probably get good at it.

Top Bottom