• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Went to point blank today to test my new ar9 build during lunch hour. All went well until a hot azz piece of brass bounced off the divider wall and got behind my eye pro trapping itself there and burning the hell out of the super sensitive skin just below the eyeball. Imagine a hot lighter being held to your eyeball. It sucked.

Wonder what they would think of me wearing my forestry helmet with face shield next time?

The real question is, how did the new build run?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ouch. I've learned the hard way when shooting indoors. Ball cap, tight fit eye pro and shirt with a snug fit neck ie James Yegar.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    After a casing hitting right behind my eye, I now wear my work prescription safety glasses with sideshields. Should have been wearing them anyway.;)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I don't have this issue, of course the issue I have is that I haven't been to the range since October. Would love to go now, but sometimes working 40 hours m-f and having a 3 1/2 month old to take care of before work takes over as more important.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife had a piece of 9mm brass get between her face and safety glasses near her temple. Just enough room for it to drop in there perfectly in a one in a million shot. I was proud of her, she kept the gun pointed down range while trying to get her glasses off. VERT was there...she impressed me with how calmly she handled it, especially given she's normally pretty fussy about things hurting or not feeling just right.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It's just part of the game when you're shooting a semi-auto rifle in a confined space, isn't it? Even outdoors, I'll take steps to keep my hot rifle brass off a shooter to my right. They make these things called brass catchers. They work!

I told my doctor, "it hurts when I do that". He said, "don't do that." :dunno:

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Nice +1

I have never had issues with brass indoors or out but I cant get past the stink of an indoor range. Even a well vented ones make me nauseous.

I have always had an issue indoors with the smell and getting that sweet taste in your mouth from lead in the air. Goes back to the days when Pop and Don's were about the only choices. Been going to Indy Arms a lot and frankly their ventilation system is amazing. I have had 2 hour sessions and would never have know I was shooting indoors. Might want to give them a try.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Went to point blank today to test my new ar9 build during lunch hour. All went well until a hot azz piece of brass bounced off the divider wall and got behind my eye pro trapping itself there and burning the hell out of the super sensitive skin just below the eyeball. Imagine a hot lighter being held to your eyeball. It sucked.

Wonder what they would think of me wearing my forestry helmet with face shield next time?

You should have been wearing a ball cap for precisely this reason.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I had an indoor shooting experience recently that kinda turned me off to it. A guy I knew was running a 3-position clinic at a real nice indoor range in Lexington, KY. I had not had the opportunity to shoot indoors over 10m so I was kinda excited. I wanted to see how tight I could group in regular clothes and a match grade smallbore rifle and match quality ammo might tell me that but I had never had the opportunity when light or wind was not also a factor.

So I want to be at me peak mental performance that day and I started watching my diet closely about ten days out, making sure I'm getting balanced nutrition with plenty of healthy fats and smart hydration. I'm maintaining a good dry fire workout and doing lots of visualization. Morning of the roads were icy getting out of the house but cleared up as I headed east and I was good and calm and relaxed as we began. My groups started a little under 1MOA and as I settled they were soundly at .75 MOA and I'd posted two groups at half minute size. I'm really feeling my oats but the process is coming clearly and I'm tuned into my bubble. After lunch the guys on my right and left decided to switch to .223. The range had block walls about 50' apart, was 25 yards deep and had no sound dampening. I had good quality plugs in and the sound was obnoxiously loud but not unmanageable. What absolutely destroyed the experience, though, was the percussion. I've been in pistol stalls 4 foot wide with .357 and it didn't rattle my brain like this. What I can only describe as a pressure wave started pounding my brain. Ive had a few concussions and the headaches that follow were exactly what I was experiencing. The guy on my right was a buddy and I didn't want to pee in his Cheerios because I figured he was entitled to his bit of fun. The guy on the other side was with us as well (he was doing the same thing I was and had brought a rather unrusty Rusty Kimber) and when I sat up I looked over and he was distracted, too. I asked him if it made his head hurt and he said it did. He also had a broken rib at the time and said the percussion hit him so hard he felt it in the rib.

It was a new and weird experience but a learning one. Id shot in several indoor ranges but had never been around centerfire rifle in a range without sound dampening. I guess you learn something every time.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I had an indoor shooting experience recently that kinda turned me off to it. A guy I knew was running a 3-position clinic at a real nice indoor range in Lexington, KY. I had not had the opportunity to shoot indoors over 10m so I was kinda excited. I wanted to see how tight I could group in regular clothes and a match grade smallbore rifle and match quality ammo might tell me that but I had never had the opportunity when light or wind was not also a factor.

So I want to be at me peak mental performance that day and I started watching my diet closely about ten days out, making sure I'm getting balanced nutrition with plenty of healthy fats and smart hydration. I'm maintaining a good dry fire workout and doing lots of visualization. Morning of the roads were icy getting out of the house but cleared up as I headed east and I was good and calm and relaxed as we began. My groups started a little under 1MOA and as I settled they were soundly at .75 MOA and I'd posted two groups at half minute size. I'm really feeling my oats but the process is coming clearly and I'm tuned into my bubble. After lunch the guys on my right and left decided to switch to .223. The range had block walls about 50' apart, was 25 yards deep and had no sound dampening. I had good quality plugs in and the sound was obnoxiously loud but not unmanageable. What absolutely destroyed the experience, though, was the percussion. I've been in pistol stalls 4 foot wide with .357 and it didn't rattle my brain like this. What I can only describe as a pressure wave started pounding my brain. Ive had a few concussions and the headaches that follow were exactly what I was experiencing. The guy on my right was a buddy and I didn't want to pee in his Cheerios because I figured he was entitled to his bit of fun. The guy on the other side was with us as well (he was doing the same thing I was and had brought a rather unrusty Rusty Kimber) and when I sat up I looked over and he was distracted, too. I asked him if it made his head hurt and he said it did. He also had a broken rib at the time and said the percussion hit him so hard he felt it in the rib.

It was a new and weird experience but a learning one. Id shot in several indoor ranges but had never been around centerfire rifle in a range without sound dampening. I guess you learn something every time.
    This reminds me of my first training in MOUT, zig zagging into a dark hut from high-noon desert sun-light. I fired 2 shots and stopped to see if my rifle was still in one piece--then the Lt. started screaming "WTF" in my ear.

I appreciate periodic indoor shooting as a little SHTF prep for just that reason

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    One day at one of the indoor ranges I go to, an older lady in the next stall got a piece of brass down her blouse, she flinched and pulled her trigger - hit the cinder block wall midway down range. Pretty scary.

sardonius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Boone Cty.
    It's just part of the game when you're shooting a semi-auto rifle in a confined space, isn't it? Even outdoors, I'll take steps to keep my hot rifle brass off a shooter to my right. They make these things called brass catchers. They work!

I told my doctor, "it hurts when I do that". He said, "don't do that." :dunno:

Was just looking at a brass catcher at the store the other day. More for ease of taking brass home for the day I start reloading. But, this is another good reason! Good to know they work. Is there a particular brand that you prefer/suggest?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I hate shooting indoors too....but not because of hot brass. I am just not fond of being in a room with a bunch of potential yahoos who may not be very good at obeying the 4 rules and/or may have bad intentions.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I just use the range time for preparation. I dodge hot brass, work on technique, concentration, and strengthen my mechanics and muscle memory. Make the best out of your shooting time.
    Practice under the worst conditions and the rest of your game gets stronger.

Top Bottom