• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I was just wanting to know if there were any quality shooting glasses between the $10 Remingtons and the $200 Oakleys. I currently have a cheap pair of clear lense Remington shooting glasses and I feel like they distort my sight picture slightly and make it a little harder to focus on the front sight. Is this just my problem or will higher quality lenses help?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The quality of lenses, whether on a scope, binoculars or eye protection, play a very significant role in the level of satisfaction you will find. Like anything else, you get what you pay for, but there are some very good choices out there in the mid-level price range that can provide a better than satisfactory experience. I mostly wear prescription lenses, but when I do wear contacts, I prefer the Oakley Shooting Glasses and they run about $100.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I find it easier to shoot better with better glasses. I am in agreement with Que that you can get good quality around the $100 range, though cheap glasses got me through the beginning.

ESS has a few series around the $100 range. The lenses are interchangeable and, more importantly, easily interchangeable. They also seem to care about fit. You can get different nose pieces, and some glasses make room for your eyeglasses. I don't remember the names of these series, but they're like the Crossbow or something like that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I always laughed at people who bought expensive sun/shooting glasses. It seemed like a waste of money for something you would break or lose. Until I got my first Oakleys, there is a big difference. Now I have moved up to Revo's but find Oakleys to still be acceptable.:cool:

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    Thanks for the info. $100 sounds reasonable, especially if you an replace lenses that get scratched. Where do you find oakleys in that range. It seems like everywhere I see them they are closer to 200

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with the gentlemen above that lens quality really makes a big difference. Not just in clarity, but also in longevity and wear resistance. I've been up and down the price spectrum and I've settled on Oakleys.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/196456-oakley-sunglasses.html

That being said, these may better fit into your budget. I still have them and use them as backup range glasses. They also have clear lenses so I use them in low-light classes.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iley-x-guard-sunglasses-shooting-glasses.html

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Bingley is right. ESS makes some pretty good eyepro for the price. I'm in the Army and the Crossbow series is one of the types that they issue us in basic as well as when we deploy. The other eyepro they issue us is made by Revision. Mostly Revision Sawfly. The sawfly will go for about $80 for the basic set which has only a clear lens and up to around $180 but that will get you multiple spare lenses in different tints and a few other things.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I wear Oakley's. I found out while on the range it's worth the money to save my eyes. While doing a department shoot I had a ricochet come back and hit my glasses in the middle of my right eye. only a scratch to lenses but nothing to my eyes. had they been hard plastic and not a good safety lens I hate to think what might have happened.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom