• throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    good read, thanks for sharing.

* The link for "An apology..." at the bottom was not working

I'll certainly share this with some of my friends. I know that they'll come back and say that the vehicle argument doesn't hold (as much) water, since they are tightly controlled AND you need a certification (License)/insurance,registration etc. to operate one.

I do like the comparison with alcohol though, and highlighting that alcohol and firearms are inanimate objects - often said withing pro-2A circles, but not often mentioned outside these groups.

Edit to add: I should have said "registered" for cars, not "regulated"... The next few posts appropriately call me out on this

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    good read, thanks for sharing.

* The link for "An apology..." at the bottom was not working

I'll certainly share this with some of my friends. I know that they'll come back and say that the vehicle argument doesn't hold (as much) water, since they are tightly controlled AND you need a certification (License)/insurance,registration etc. to operate one.

I do like the comparison with alcohol though, and highlighting that alcohol and firearms are inanimate objects - often said withing pro-2A circles, but not often mentioned outside these groups.

Vehicles aren't tightly controlled. You can own a vehicle and operate it on your own property all you want without a lot of the restrictions (are there any restrictions at all?). Driving on public roadways is not a right enumerated in the constitution though, so you are right in that it isn't a fair analogy. Driving a vehicle on public roadways would be similar to shooting a firearm in public:laugh: (which I believe is generally restricted). Where is that fun picture with the list of "if firearms were as controlled as vehicles" thing. That always cracked me up.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I sure wouldn't consider vehicles 'tightly controlled' at all. While one is required to have a driver's license, how difficult was that to get? And it's even less difficult to renew, at least in the States I've lived.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Good article. You've expressed one of the fundamental issues - to what extent should public policy be driven by the lowest common denominator and the harm they cause through mis-use and abuse? If two hypothetical folks, one pro gun control and one anti gun control are going to have a discussion about the issue, I think that knowing where each of them come out on the above is essential to having a meaningful exchange of ideas.

I'd say the second most important issue for my hypothetical folks to clear the air about is whether or not they believe that the right to keep and bear arms is an important political right (I'd couch it in those terms, rather than a 2A Constititional issue, as it just begs the question).

Without an understanding of points of few on those two issues, all talk about the efficacy or not of magazine capacity limits, background checks, etc. is a waste of time.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    Yes to your question. It is my responsibility to protect myself and those I love. Sure I'll take help from the police but until they arrive, I'll do my best to stop the threat.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Jack nice read, I spent several minutes reading the posts and your rebuttals. A couple of issue you may have brought up or may use in the future, are answers to the questions raised as to the comment of what firearms are needed for other than hunting, etc.. Those that have studied history (on just casually read a little of it) and the reasoning for our 2nd Amendment, should certainly know the major reason for the amendment is to insure that we remain a free nation. Without the "threat" of citizens owning firearms, and their ability to defend ourselves against a tyrannical government our freedoms certainly could and probably will be in jeopardy, sometime in the future - Santayana wrote (in The Life of Reason, 1905) was: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” Hitler and other leaders often made disarming of citizens their first priority, then inflicted their actions on defenseless citizens.

The other comment I noted was that the poster said he saw no reason for citizens to have "Assault rifles". Two things struck me immediately. First all Military definitions of Assault rifles include the fact these weapons are either fully automatic or select fire. No currently manufactured automatic firearms are allowed to be owned by citizens. Older versions are only allowed after extensive permits are issued and all of these are extremely expensive. Second, the "Black rifles" I presume the poster was defining was used in a very, very small percentage of all violent crimes.

Top Bottom