• ...and so much more!
  • Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    Bought ammo from a reputable company and was comparing it to what I currently shoot for competition.

Well the new polycoated round would go into battery, but lock up the slide. Would only reciprocate with firing, or excessive force. Couldn’t even do it for a brass check, but in using the forceful method it would extract only the casing, casing the propellant to go everywhere in the chamber but leaving the projectile in the barrel.

It’s not a OAL issue, I strongly believe it is a diameter issue. I see that being it appears to be larger in diameter than the other 124gr rounds.
    So the questions are as follows:

1. Is that normal, being that I’m aware that shadow 2 do have a shorter feed throat compared to other pistols.

2. Have others had this issue with polycoated rounds?

3. Is my shadow 2 just have smaller diameter tolerance and could I polish the feed throat?

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Have you checked the length with regular range ammo and also done a bullet measurement. Sounds like it had no quality control checks and coating is thicker than normal

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    Have you checked the length with regular range ammo and also done a bullet measurement. Sounds like it had no quality control checks and coating is thicker than normal

I don’t have gauge to get an actual diameter, but just naked eye comparison it’s most definitely isn’t the OAL, but does appear slightly thicker. I believe you’re right. Yeah I reached out the company and had to leave a voicemail but I’ll try again tomorrow.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Funny story, my reloads, chamber, shoot extract and fit every 9mm I own (I reload 147 grain poly coated lead)

EXCEPT my czchmate and my shadow 2! They do exactly what you describe!

New loaded ammo functions fine in my cz’s the chamber for the cz’s seem smaller than other manufacturers!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I don’t have gauge to get an actual diameter, but just naked eye comparison it’s most definitely isn’t the OAL, but does appear slightly thicker. I believe you’re right. Yeah I reached out the company and had to leave a voicemail but I’ll try again tomorrow.
    Plunk test it, I’ll bet if you plunk it in a Glock, smith, sig, walther, I’ll bet it plunks fine, but take your gun apart, and try dropping it in and I’ll bet it won’t seat all the way into the chamber on the cz!

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    Here’s a comparison of what I shoot currently (Left) vs the mentioned one that gave me issues (left)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      248.7 KB · Views: 8

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    Plunk test it, I’ll bet if you plunk it in a Glock, smith, sig, walther, I’ll bet it plunks fine, but take your gun apart, and try dropping it in and I’ll bet it won’t seat all the way into the chamber on the cz!

See that’s the strange thing, I did before I even started shooting and it seemed fine but every round after that one locked it up..

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Here’s a comparison of what I shoot currently (Left) vs the mentioned one that gave me issues (left)
    The crimp on the coated bullet looks perfect! That’s how you want the indent on a coated lead bullet!

If you have a micrometer check the od of the bullet (should be .356) and coal should be 1.13
    Just remember the shadow 2 is a match gun, with a match chamber! And match means tighter tolerances!

Honestly I’ve been trying to come up with a way to reload for my czechmate, but I can’t get the load to chamber (or function with the comp on), so I gave up and have put in a 11 pound spring and will shoot factory loads only

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I was guna recommend what @shootersix suggested but he got to it first. From your pic, that coated certainly looks slightly bigger and from my perspective, just junk ammo. It's not even close to being uniform for shape like the jacketed bullet.

EDIT... I love to see slowmo videos of multiple rounds of that ammo just to see what each bullet does in flight.....

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Funny story, my reloads, chamber, shoot extract and fit every 9mm I own (I reload 147 grain poly coated lead)

EXCEPT my czchmate and my shadow 2! They do exactly what you describe!

New loaded ammo functions fine in my cz’s the chamber for the cz’s seem smaller than other manufacturers!
    All of my CZ 9mm pistols and my Taurus G3C have the shortest chambers of any 9mm pistols I own. If I load the oal to fit my sigs or other 9mm pistols the same thing will happen.

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    I was guna recommend what @shootersix suggested but he got to it first. From your pic, that coated certainly looks slightly bigger and from my perspective, just junk ammo. It's not even close to being uniform for shape like the jacketed bullet.

That was my perception of it to. It’s really not though, it’s a very reputable company which is why I left the name out, as to not bash them. That’s why I came to ask questions to see if this was a common issue, if I just got a bad lot of ammo, or my shadow 2 and some QC issues.
    I actually messaged another competitor buddy to ask him as well and he informed me that I most likely just need to have the barrel reamed by a gunsmith.
    He sent me the info I was looking for, it showed that shadow 2’s do just have a tighter tolerance and prefer factory fml projectiles. But if you want to run other projectiles or longer ones such 147gr, you need to have the barrel reamed.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

My Walter does the same thing but with 147gr flat nosed bullets (it feeds 147gr HST just fine weirdly enough?) must be a euro pistol thing.

Also get a 0-1 Micrometer or at least a case checker if you are going to reload.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That was my perception of it to. It’s really not though, it’s a very reputable company which is why I left the name out, as to not bash them. That’s why I came to ask questions to see if this was a common issue, if I just got a bad lot of ammo, or my shadow 2 and some QC issues.
    I actually messaged another competitor buddy to ask him as well and he informed me that I most likely just need to have the barrel reamed by a gunsmith.
    He sent me the info I was looking for, it showed that shadow 2’s do just have a tighter tolerance and prefer factory fml projectiles. But if you want to run other projectiles or longer ones such 147gr, you need to have the barrel reamed.
    Ignorant question on my part, but wouldn't you be basically taking a target gun tight tolerance chamber and making it less so by reaming it?

I guess if you run specific hand loads it makes sense.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My Walter does the same thing but with 147gr flat nosed bullets (it feeds 147gr HST just fine weirdly enough?) must be a euro pistol thing.

Also get a 0-1 Micrometer or at least a case checker if you are going to reload.

I got the Dillon and I spot check my rounds

Attachments

• IMG_5540.jpeg
      IMG_5540.jpeg
      249.2 KB · Views: 2

Lee9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 10, 2023
    Columbus
    Ignorant question on my part, but wouldn't you be basically taking a target gun tight tolerance chamber and making it less so by reaming it?

From what I’m understanding thus far, short answer.. no it wouldn’t. IF.. I stay running poly coated or longer projectiles no. It would affect running standard projectiles again though. If I understand correctly I’m basically just committing to one or the other be either doing or not doing the barrel reaming.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

Yes!…but if you shoot uspsa (I think the shadow would be limited class) you could sacrifice the chamber a little because you don’t need bullseye accuracy for uspsa

And sadly unless I want to spend a little money my shadow 2 won’t make weight limit in idpa (and ream the chamber for my reloads!)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It's a great way to check certain things, but it doesn't know what bullets ogives will chamber in certain guns.
    I would bet if those bullets were seated a few thousands deeper, they would function fine.
    In my shadow maybe, but my loads are um…light…i mainly shoot idpa carry optics and my load needs to make power factor (125) and the last time they were chronograph’d one of my 3 failed (I think my crimp was off)

In steel challenge there is no power factor (and I don’t shoot uspsa, where there is a power factor)

In my czechmate, with that huge a$$ 4 port comp, my hand loads wouldn’t function the slide even if I had a 5 pound recoil spring, the manual that comes with it, they say you have to shoot 9mm major to make it function (feed the comp!) but I’ve read way too many bad things about 9 major to shoot it, hard on springs, hard on the gun, you can only safely reload 1 or 2 kinds of brass and that you can only use that brass once!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom