• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Okay so here is the deal. I am setting up a belt rig and I am wanting to mount a holster to it. Right now it holds either an AR or an AK mag in the HSGI mag pouch, a med kit, and two double stack pistol mags (will be replaced with the HSGI pistol mag pouches when I get the $). The goal of this rig is to hold 2 pistol mags and 1 rifle mag, but be easy to swap between the different pistols and rifles I own. The HSGI mag pouches are AMAZING at that, so I have the mags down. The rifle pouch holds AK mags, and in a few seconds can be cinched down to hold ar mags. The pistol mag pouches can hold dbl stack glock to single stack 1911 (I have both types of guns), so I have mags covered if I want to swap.

My problem is what do I do if I want to swap pistols (I want to mount the pistol to the belt too)? Right now I have a SERPA for my glocks ziptied to the belt but I want to be able to swap from glock to 1911 quickly. So it seems like zipties are out. I am thinking about getting the QD system for the SERPA and the Molle panel so I can swap the holster between battle belt and belt loops. I would also need to get a 1911 style SERPA and a male QD piece, but I would be able to swap everything pretty quick depending on what I want to run at the time.
    I can get the whole system (minus the 1911 SERPA which I would try to pick up off someone here for a little less than MSRP) for $50. Should I do that, or is there another QD system for holsters that would be better and won't break my bank?

Thanks for your help guys.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    are you dead set on something that has to be "attached" to the belt? have you thought about using paddle holster attachment for the serpa(s)? they might be less expensive and offer good compromise between options, price, and interchangability

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I do not like the QD things for the Serpa. They work great, no complaints with function at all. It is ergonomics for me, the extra inch(?!) is just awkward for me. That being said the MOLLE attach plate makes changing out a fairly quick event as well...

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    are you dead set on something that has to be "attached" to the belt? have you thought about using paddle holster attachment for the serpa(s)? they might be less expensive and offer good compromise between options, price, and interchangability
    I am set on it attaching to the belt. My belt rig is my 2nd line (EDC being 1st line) I want to be able to take whatever gun I am carrying and attach it to the belt in a few seconds. I do not carry with the SERPA, I just have one laying around from the past. I don't have a problem with the mechanism I just prefer my Raven (and attaching that with zip ties and 550 defeats the idea of quick change between guns).

Safariland has a simial QD system. It all depends on what kind of holster style you are looking for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTDmAOwQvvE
    I did find that after I posted this thread, but it seems like transitioning to Safariland will be pretty costly compared to sticking with the SERPA. Thanks for the idea and video though, I'm looking into it.

I do not like the QD things for the Serpa. They work great, no complaints with function at all. It is ergonomics for me, the extra inch(?!) is just awkward for me. That being said the MOLLE attach plate makes changing out a fairly quick event as well...

I don't care too much about it sticking out a little further since eventually I plan to have a 3rd line (plate carrier) that I will want the holster to clear. I kinda figured that it would stick out a little further since there is all that extra material in between. Good to know that the QD works well though. I figure getting everything I need for the SERPA set up will run me about $70ish where as a safariland set up will probably be well into the hundreds. Maybe I'll try out the SERPA set up and let you all know how it goes.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Okay, for price reasons I went with the Serpa QD for now. I have a molle panel and a QD set (two female and one male) on the way here. I will keep this thread updated on how it goes. (have to wait till after Christmas to get the 1911 serpa and other male piece)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The QD Kit and MOLLE panel came in the mail today. Took a few minutes to get the holes lined up and attach the female QD to the panel and get the panel onto the belt, but it is all set up now. Like Jeremy mentioned, there is a decent gap between my side and the gun, but since I plan to set up a PC in the future, I don't mind it at all. I will still get some HSGI pistol mag pouches and a 5.11 large drop pouch, but this is what the belt looks like right now:
    6461169869_346c3aeaf9.jpg

BDS tactical belt, blackhawk dbl stack mag pouches (to be replaced by HSGI mag pouches), HSGI Rifle mag pouch, ATS small GP pouch horizontal (IFAK), SERPA QD kit with glock SERPA.

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    You may want to check out G-Code as well...

G-Code Holsters and Accessories for Tactical Carry Systems

Then you retain you high level of retention, without the possible ND issues, and all the training companies will let you run them...

I'm going to be picking up one and accessories for my XDm.

Kinda wish I would have seen this before I ordered my Serpa QD kit. Don't think it would have changed my mind, since I already had a Glock Serpa, but it is another option.
    Right now I am happy with my SERPA set up. I ran the SERPA through a 4 day handgun class summer of last year and only had one issue with it. I threw it in the gear bag for a little while, but I don't really have that big of a problem with it, and it has active retention. I don't care too much about schools not letting me run it, cause if I really want to take a class and run a battle belt I will just take off the Serpa and zip tie my Raven on there. For what I am trying to do (have a quick change battle belt that can accommodate whatever I am shooting) I think the SERPA will work pretty well. Thanks though!

Top Bottom