• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    After a day at the range today I was cleaning my new ruger SR1911 and my xd40 and I noticed the xd has the serial number on the barrel but the ruger does not. Is that common and how would they keep track of ballistics if there was a shooting if people just swapped there barrel out for another one without a serial number.

There could be an easy explanation or maybe I'm just reading too much into it :dunno:

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    IIRC the barrel is the "important" part in some European countries for legal purposes, like the frame is here. Glocks have the barrel serialized, as do HK products.

I had a FEG hi-power that had the barrel replaced by KBI under warranty back when they were still around. The factory barrel was serialized, but the replacement wasn't... didn't really bother me though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In Croatia the barrel is probably required to be numbered. Here in USA it's not.

As far as ballistic identification, me thinks it's not like TV. We have plenty of shootings in Ft. Wayne, but I've never heard of using ballistics to make a case. Besides, aren't criminals too dumb to change barrels?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    In Croatia the barrel is probably required to be numbered. Here in USA it's not.

As far as ballistic identification, me thinks it's not like TV. We have plenty of shootings in Ft. Wayne, but I've never heard of using ballistics to make a case. Besides, aren't criminals too dumb to change barrels?

Well, sometimes the bullets are to mangled to get a groove/lands pattern to match to a barrel. But also, if you are going down that route, be sure to swap your firing pin, as they can match the impressions to that to....

tbone1951

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Only required on the frame of post 1986 I believe. Earlier firearms are not required to have sweial number.
    That is untill our gov. decided citizens could not be trusted.

Terry

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Only required on the frame of post 1986 I believe. Earlier firearms are not required to have sweial number.
    That is untill our gov. decided citizens could not be trusted.

Terry

I think that is the Firearms Act of 1968 that required serial number. Not 1986.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I know a couple of companies, like Sig number their barrels, slides and frames because they are individually fit to each other.

Most Berettas on the other hand, like in their 92 series, no parts are matched and any are supposed to be interchangeable, of course other than the required frame number. I built up a 92FS/M9 out of parts of many different donors as well as factory new parts, shoot it with several different barrels just because, and it is amazingly accurate and 100% reliable.

I would guess that with looser tolerances between different parts, but close tolerances between the same part number allows the interchangeability allowing the barrels and slides to be unnumbered.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County

I dont know that they are too dumb to change the barrels, but I would say 99% of criminals that use guns in their crimes dont even know that you CAN change the barrel.

Top Bottom