• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cookchs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012

I have read through some of the other threads on this topicbut I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for outsideresearch/articles on best “first purchase” handguns. Most of the threads tend to be more specific such a penetration rates for specific loads. I have a couple of revolversbut I wanted to get a semi-auto for CC, competitive shooting and just in caseSHTF.

That being said, if I am going to buy only one semi-autowhich one(s) are best for all-around use. I know that part of this is going to be based on how the gun fits in myhand but want to weigh other trade-offs such as cost, accuracy, capacity, CC,etc.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central

I have read through some of the other threads on this topicbut I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for outsideresearch/articles on best “first purchase” handguns. Most of the threads tend to be more specific such a penetration rates for specific loads. I have a couple of revolversbut I wanted to get a semi-auto for CC, competitive shooting and just in caseSHTF.

That being said, if I am going to buy only one semi-autowhich one(s) are best for all-around use. I know that part of this is going to be based on how the gun fits in myhand but want to weigh other trade-offs such as cost, accuracy, capacity, CC,etc.

Within the parameters of your question, Glock 19.

$500, World Class reliability out of the box, aftermarket accessories are abundant, proven service record within the police community, 9mm round is cost effective to practice with, 15+1 capacity, can also use a 33 round magazine, can be open carried or conceal carried, simple field strip and cleaning, feeds all types of ammo flawlessly and excellent resale if you don't like it.

You can simply buy a Glock 9mm, read the owner's manual safety instructions, understand the manual of arms and shoot until you run out of money for ammo.

Now, go rent some pistols at the range to see what YOU like best.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would have to agree to the above post. A Glock 9 will serve you well. Most lilkly you will be bitten by the bug and have a collection like the rest of us do. Then get into reloading. Wecome to the club!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I agree, shoot some. The Glock 19 is a good choice, but so is the Smith and Wesson M&P 9c, Sig P250 compact, Springfield XD(M) 3.8, etc. Whatever you end up buying, shoot it, get trained, get proficient.

I am a fan of the 9mm (Luger, Parabellum, or 9x19...all are good, take your pick) because it is easy to shoot, inexpensive to shoot and with good loads is very effective. Also, in a real emergency situation, there is probably more 9mm available than any other handgun ammo.

cookchs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Thank you all, shooting them all makes sense. I am down in B'town, any recommendations as to where I can rent a gun to shoot? I know there is a place by the Speedway but I think it only has two or three lanes.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What part of the state are you in, OP?

In certain areas - you're more than likely to be very close to some indoor ranges that also rent many different handguns.

Like above, I highly recommend you try out as many as you can.

Also, as you get more involved here on INGO - you may very well find yourself at a "social gathering" at a range where you can shoot many more than rental ranges have.

-J-

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If CC isn't your biggest concern, I would add Beretta 92 or CZ 75. Both are full size steel weapons.

I've introduced quite a few people to the world of shooting and I always bring my Beretta 92 and Glock 17 to the range (along with a wide assortment of other pistols, rifles, shotguns). I start them small, in .22 for both pistol and rifle, and work them up to usually a .308 rifle and a .44 mag revolver (usually just a few rounds for fun out of each at the end of the day).

Anyway, when it comes to the 9mm semi-autos, I let them shoot both the Beretta and Glock, without indicating which I prefer. Invariable, they will always prefer the Beretta, saying it was easier to handle and more accurate.

Granted, Glock has much better options when it comes to CC and the Glock 17 is lighter than the steel guns. But when it comes to accurate shooting and combat (which hopefully I will never have to deal with), I would take the Beretta or CZ over the Glock all day.

Now for simplicity, you cant' really go wrong with a nice .357 revolver with a 4" barrel shooting .38 +P. But this was a thread about semi-autos, so I'll leave that argument for another day.

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    When I am pressed for a recommendation I typically fall back on the “KISS” principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) So I suggesting a Glock for semi auto or a Smith & Wesson for a revolver but that’s just me.

However you should go further for Allot of things depend on your purchase. Some things to keep in mind:
    • Budget,
    • Comfort with operation and maintenance
    • Accessibility and manipulations of controls, (can you reach and actuate slide release safety etc.)

Those items will help with deciding if you’re leading towards a semi auto or wheel gun. Also ammunition affordability and access to common rounds where your located should help you with what you’re looking for.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I am pressed for a recommendation I typically fall back on the “KISS” principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) So I suggesting a Glock for semi auto or a Smith & Wesson for a revolver but that’s just me.

However you should go further for Allot of things depend on your purchase. Some things to keep in mind:
    • Budget,
    • Comfort with operation and maintenance
    • Accessibility and manipulations of controls, (can you reach and actuate slide release safety etc.)

Those items will help with deciding if you’re leading towards a semi auto or wheel gun. Also ammunition affordability and access to common rounds where your located should help you with what you’re looking for.

OP has already established he wants a semi-auto.:) Where are you from, Virginia? Just kidding. I used to live in Winchester.

To the OP, don't drink the Glock Kool-aid until you know you like the taste. I almost bought a Glock cuz "everyone has one" without shooting anything. After I shot a few different pistols, I decided that I like the S&W M&P9 better.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    Being a former Bloomington resident myself, I'd recommend getting out of there if looking for a good range there is atterbury out by the outlets in Columbus. As for guns I drank the glock drank and never looked back. It's simplicity and durability are tops

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a Glock 19, it took me a while to get use to it and to be able to hit anything with it. I was use to a 1911 trigger pull, and the Glock is much different. It is a great pistol.

Dave

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have a Glock 19 and 3 M&Ps. The Glock is ultra reliable but so are my M&Ps. I prefer the M&Ps (obviously) due to grip angle and ergonomics. To me, when gripping the glock, it feels like Im holding a bar of soap and the trigger is a long way away. The new gen4 Glocks may be better, but Ill stick to my guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a Glock 19 and 3 M&Ps. The Glock is ultra reliable but so are my M&Ps. I prefer the M&Ps (obviously) due to grip angle and ergonomics. To me, when gripping the glock, it feels like Im holding a bar of soap and the trigger is a long way away. The new gen4 Glocks may be better, but Ill stick to my guns.

That was the tipping point for me. I even went and tried a gen 4, but the M&P just fit better.

Top Bottom