• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    What is required to sell a rifle in Indiana? I’ve sold many in Ohio and just used a sales contract with protected verbiage and confirmed ID.

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    Thanks all, I printed off a sales contract with some legal verbiage and will get drivers licenses. It’s an AK and some fixens with it, I know they are scary to the softer folks around us.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Are you posting it here in the classifieds? If so please disclose the fact that you require a bill of sale. That document carries no legal weight at all for buyer or seller, and will likely turn at least a few potential buyers away. But your gun, your terms.

Just be sure to tell folks up front they need to sign your form - it's more than a little annoying to meet up for a transaction, only to have the seller shove a surprise piece of paper in my face demanding a signature. It should go without saying that a move like that absolutely kills the deal for me and I'm sure a few others.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I always ask buyer to sign a BOS which states they are a resident of Indiana and that they are legally able to possess a firearm.

Granted there's nothing legally binding but it does show that I sold the firearm and that buyer stated that they could possess it. It may have turned some away from purchases but I've never not had a firearm not sell because of it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I always ask buyer to sign a BOS which states they are a resident of Indiana and that they are legally able to possess a firearm.

Granted there's nothing legally binding but it does show that I sold the firearm and that buyer stated that they could possess it. It may have turned some away from purchases but I've never not had a firearm not sell because of it.
    Your additional actions may give you more liability than less…

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland

This is what the verbiage is that I’ve used in the past, just wanted to make sure Indiana didn’t have something on the books I’ve missed. Frankly I’m mostly ok with cash and handshake, but any more people can’t settle disputes with conversation or at most fists, every ******* grabs a gun today.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Frankly I’m mostly ok with cash and handshake...

A lot of us here do it this way. That is of course after "vetting" who we are dealing with by checking INGO post history and their classifieds trading feedback.

To each their own, but I'm not gonna sign anything. BOS or signing off on anything is not required for a legal private sale in Indiana.
    I'll let you see my DL and LTCH to verify that I am a proper person, if you require, but not gonna let you record anything.

That said, I never say never, I could be bought into signing off on a half the value price. :spend:

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    More so than not providing proof of sale? Can you provide the reasoning?

Exactly my thoughts. The standard is typically "knew or should have known" someone was prohibited. From the eyes of a jury, you had all the information written on the receipt needed to reasonably check and see if they were a prohibited person and chose not to,

I say receipt because that is how the overzealous prosecutor is going to characterize it during trial when presenting evidence of running a firearms business without a license and skirting that law too.

"You knew there was a chance people you were selling to might not pass the required checks so you invented your own system to overcome it and complete the sales to prohibited persons"

Inventing laws and procedures could just as easily be your undoing.

Destro put it well in another thread.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    django-shake.gif

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics