• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I'm planning on selling my first rifle. I searched and can't find this topic yet. Where should I meet? In public? A semi public olace? I need suggestions thanks.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    Just pick a place both parties are comfortable with. I avoid really busy public places since firearms, especially rifles can draw a lot of attention. I normally go somewhere like a walmart parking lot towards the back.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I take it that the gist of your question has to do with the trust/not get robbed factor. Personally, I don't buy or sell with private parties unless it's through people on this board. You'd need 50 quality posts or become a site supporter to do that.

I like parking lots at restaurants, shopping centers, etc. to meet and exchange the goods/payment. Long gun in the trunk for easy viewing and inspection. I've never had a problem, but like I said, I deal only with INGO members, as it's more of an internet community rather than an internet marketplace.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    And as far as covering my bases I want a bill of sale and see some Indiana photo id and a ltch?

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    And as far as covering my bases I want a bill of sale and see some Indiana photo id and a ltch?
    ltch is just a license to carry handgun, not a requirement, just gives some people peace of mind, but it's about as credible as a school ID in my opinion. Having a LTCH in hand doesn't mean it hasn't been revoked.

Valid IN ID is a must, if they have out of state, expired or questionable ID walk away, it's an illegal deal. It could even be a sting, don't let them talk you back into the deal, just leave.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    If you have a gun shop or large sporting goods store close by, like a Gander Mountain, Dicks, Bass Pro Shop, etc, that's a good place to meet. Most people in the parking lot of those places are not going to think anything if you pull a rifle out of your trunk or back seat.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    If you require those it's up to you, but they aren't required by law. Bill of sale covers you, but seeing a ltch on a rifle sale, while I understand the reasoning, is a bit too much. It'll cut down on your potential pool of (still legal) buyers as well.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    ltch is just a license to carry handgun, not a requirement, just gives some people peace of mind, but it's about as credible as a school ID in my opinion. Having a LTCH in hand doesn't mean it hasn't been revoked.

Valid IN ID is a must, if they have out of state, expired or questionable ID walk away, it's an illegal deal. It could even be a sting, don't let them talk you back into the deal, just leave.

This. I've done transactions through both Ingo and Armslist and most legitimate buyers won't object to the stipulations stated above. I always get a bill of sale too. If it's through Armslist I usually go a step further and text their plate number to a family member.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    K thanks for all the advice! Ya he seems totally understanding and agreeable to my terms so far.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Why are you selling your first gun? You will regret this.

Nothing to do with HOW to sell a firearm (I buy pretty frequently and there hasn't been any drama yet on my end), but I agree with the above. If this is your first rifle (not just the first you have considered selling) you will regret it someday.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    K got it pretty figured out,far corner of parking lot. Leaving the rifle in the back of jeep until he buys it, then I'll put it in its case to move it to his car. If anyone sees the case then they might think there is a gun but it won't be seen. I'm probably more nervous than need to be because it's my first transaction.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nothing to do with HOW to sell a firearm (I buy pretty frequently and there hasn't been any drama yet on my end), but I agree with the above. If this is your first rifle (not just the first you have considered selling) you will regret it someday.

Why is everyone so nostalgic? Maybe his first gun is HiPoint or a crappy .22 that jams all the time...

Top Bottom